Lambert Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lambert Castle

In 1851 at the age of 17, Catholina Lambert left his home in Goose Eye, England and came to the United States to seek his fortune. After several successful ventures in the silk industry, in 1892 he built his home in Paterson, NJ to resemble the castles back in his home in England. He lived in his home till his death in 1923. During his time in his home he converted the gas lamps to electric in 1905. Another unique feature of the home was that he had boilers installed in the basement and heated the home with forced air.

Image 1:
    Camera 7DMKII w/24-105mm f/4L @ 24mm
    1/800 sec @ f/4, ISO 100

Image 2:
    Camera 7DMKII w/24-105mm f/4L @ 32mm
    1/80 sec @ f/9, ISO 100

Image 3:
    Camera EOS-M w/22mm STM
    5 Image HDR @ f/8, ISO 100

Image 5:
    Camera EOS-M w/22mm STM
    1/80 sec @ f/8, ISO 100

Some will not like the electrical wires in some of the images, but remember that this house was originally wired for electric in 1905, so they were part of the landscape for 110 years.

Commets welcomed
    Tom
    Last edited by tesarver; 12-07-2015, 03:29.

Re: Lambert Castle

A nice set of images Tom if I had to choose it would be No 3 but they are all nice images
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

some interesting shots and converted well

I do like the second, although whilst I take your point on the poles and wires I'm sure that big ugly flood light at the top wasn't there and I would have lost that

The third I also like and great leading lines and framed well with the tree, but whats the odd lines in the sky? is it the sunlight and converting it to B&W has made them stand out?
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

An interesting story and well illustrated.
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Good shots Tom and an interesting place

BTW looks like that woman is following you again

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Nice set Tom with images 2 & 3 the strongest for me. It is interesting to discover the background to places we haven't been ourselves.

I had never heard of Goose Eye in England as a place so I googled it. Don't know what it was like in Mr Lambert's day but I would be queuing up to get out of the place in the here and now.

Scott
            Scott

500px flickr

Comment

As others have said Tom, a great set telling an interesting story.

Oddly I like the last one. The modern against the old. Car looks great
              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

A great set Tom
                Neil

Comment

Nice set Tom, P&P working well.

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                  Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul, James, & Alan for taking the time to stop and leaving a comment.

Originally posted by Tigger View Post

I do like the second, although whilst I take your point on the poles and wires I'm sure that big ugly flood light at the top wasn't there and I would have lost that

The third I also like and great leading lines and framed well with the tree, but whats the odd lines in the sky? is it the sunlight and converting it to B&W has made them stand out?
                    Thanks for the suggestion Ian on the 2nd shot and the flood light. I'll work on that one. As for the third shot I was looking at the original more closely and there seems to be dark hazy lines that are rising from the city in the background. Just and FYI, that city is NYC, so it could be the pollution that the city creates.

Originally posted by Stan View Post

BTW looks like that woman is following you again

Stan
                    I don't know Stan, but overtime I turn around, she is there. :big grin:

Originally posted by anderson.council View Post
                    I had never heard of Goose Eye in England as a place so I googled it. Don't know what it was like in Mr Lambert's day but I would be queuing up to get out of the place in the here and now.

Scott
                    I will be looking forward to seeing your images of Goose Eye, Scott.

Comment

Here is Image 2 with Ian's suggested edit:

Tom

Comment

Like the set
                        ef-r

Comment

Thanks Brian

Comment

Here are some interior shots of the Castle. Please note that they did not allow flash photography inside.

This is the formal dining room:
                            Camera EOS-M w/EF-M 22mm
                            ISO 4000 @ 1/40 sec @ f/8

The Table and chairs are original and hand carved.

Looking up the main stairway,
                            Camera EOS-M w/EF-M22mm 3 image HDR @ f/8, ISO 800

What is unique was that he had this opened framed window so he could sit on the bench and watch his wife walk down the stairs because he felt she was as beautiful as a picture.

The Stain glass window:
                            Camera 7DMKII w/EF 24-105mm f/4L @ 24mm
                            3 image HDR

The center court area of the house:
                            Camera 7DMKII w/EF24-105mm f/4L @ 24mm
                            1/125 sec @ f/4, ISO 1600

This only shows the 2nd & 3rd floors. I didn't shot the 1st floor as that had a bunch of metal chairs set up ready for a concert. Now this Center area of the house was where Mr Lambert displayed his Art work collection. At one tome his collection was considered to be "the nucleus of an American Louvre" However in 1913, he fell into hard times and was forced to sell much of his art collection. The proceeds from the sell did allow him to live comfortably until his death in 1923.

Some of the Statues on the 1st Floor:
                            Camera 7DMKII w/24-105mm f/4L @ 45mm
                            1/125sec @ f/4.5, ISO 1600

This last image is one of several fireplaces he had built into the house. Most of them were not functional because of the forced air heating system he had in the house:
                            Camera 7DMKII w/EF24-105L @ 24mm
                            1/125 sec @ f/4, ISO 8000

Comment

Nice images and a very interesting narrative.

Bill.
                              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Working...
                              X