Simple, Cheap Panoramic Head Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple, Cheap Panoramic Head Adapter

One of the problems with taking a series of images with the intention of stitching them together to make a panorama, is parallax errors. With a camera mounted directly on a tripod, the camera rotates about the mounting screw.

When panning, objects in the foreground appear to shift relative to the background, making it difficult to stitch the images.

To combat this, you need to find the nadir, or no parallax point. This is usually where the shutter is located. To do this, move the camera back and forth, while panning left to right, until the parallax effect is minimised. I use the tripod handle turned upside down to support the camera.

Measure the distance from the nadir point to the mounting point on the camera and make a piece of wood with a threaded insert at one end and a screw at the other, at the distance you have measured.

Mount the camera on the tripod using this adapter.

Now, when you pan the camera, the foreground and background should remain aligned properly.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by gregsmith; 13-08-2015, 18:03.
    Greg Smith
    EOS 600D plus various lenses and filters
    My Picasa Albums
    My flickr Albums

Re: Simple, Cheap Panoramic Head Adapter

Thanks for this Greg

I understand what your'e doing there and the difference between the two sets of images is clear for all to see so will have a play tomorrow.

If the Nadir point is aligned with the sutter it looks as though your pivot point is a long way forward of that or does it alter with different focal lengths?

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Sorry, it's not the shutter but the blades of the aperture, and it's the nodal point not the nadir. My bad.

The pivot (nodal) point will be fixed for a particular lens and will not vary with focus or focal length.
      Last edited by gregsmith; 13-08-2015, 20:08.
      Greg Smith
      EOS 600D plus various lenses and filters
      My Picasa Albums
      My flickr Albums

Comment

Thanks Greg that makes more sense. I knew what you meant to say

Cheers,
        John

Comment

If you look on eBay you can get adapter plates for around £20 which can be used for this that are Arca compatible. For example:

TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Interesting posts, I'll have to remember this if I try panorama in the future.
            Andy

Comment

Nice information. Thanks for sharing

Tom

Comment

Working...
              X