Stofen diffuser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stofen diffuser

On the recent wedding workshop ....it was said that the stolen type diffuser used on a speedlight doesn't soften the light output as essentially the size of the light source is the same with and without the stolen fitted. It just takes the output down by 1.5 stops which leads to a waste of battery power.
    I just wondered what others think? any experience with this?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Stofen diffuser

I would say that's about right Brian. I have two Stofen difusers for my 430 EX ll's, and they are not as effective at softening the light, as would be a soft box. They do difuse the light a bit, compared with the bare flash, but I wouldn't call it a real softening effect. I usually end up pointing the flash at the ceiling, if indoors.

Unlike a proper soft box, there is quite a lot of light-spill off the sides.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_S; 26-08-2015, 20:28.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Brian,
      Soft light do not cast sharp shadows always come from an extended source of light. That's why some people place a flash inside a soft box - or fire it reversed into a reflective umbrella - this produces an extended source of light. The bigger the extended source the less apparent shadows will be and consequently the softer the light. If you don't have flash umbrellas or soft box with you fire the flash gun at any large white surface ( the ceiling should do) and let the light from this reflected source fall on the model.
      The flash gun - even with stofen fitted - is pretty much a point source of light.
      To understand this in a more natural way think of it like this - sunny cloudless day - the light is harsh and the sun casts deep shadows because the sun acts almost like a point source.
      On a cloudy day the sun is still pumping out the same amount of light but now it appears to becoming from a very large extended source ( the clouds) - there will be hardly any shadows and the light is softer. However, if it's too soft the light can appear to be flat. Skilled photographers use multiple lights coming from different sized sources placed in different positions to mould the highlights and shadows to the extent they need.
      Hope this helps
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Thanks Dave and James....I shall experiment with the stolen to see if it offers any real benefit or if it's just using up my batteries faster. I think it must be adding some softening as it seems to be a technique almost universally adopted by the press and by wedding photographers. Thanks again.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
        X