Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling a photo

Hi

Someone has asked if they can buy one of my photos which is on Flickr "Bottoms up at the 2015 St leger race Doncaster".

IMG_3401 by John Ennis, on Flickr

Just wondered what you guys thought - should I let someone have the image and if so at what price. How do I know they will respect the photo and not sell it onto someone else. Do I keep the watermark on it.

I would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks, John
    EOS 70D EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM ; EF 16-35mm f4 L IS USM

Re: Selling a photo

result

I would say if they have seen the image with the watermark on then it stays there - if they want it without, charge more

price, always a difficult one - I sold some images recently for £50 each and I thought that was a fair price - as for what happens once its theres I really don't think you have any control over that
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      result

I would say if they have seen the image with the watermark on then it stays there - if they want it without, charge more

price, always a difficult one - I sold some images recently for £50 each and I thought that was a fair price - as for what happens once its theres I really don't think you have any control over that

Thanks for your response Ian.
      When you say you sold images what did you actually do - email the jpg to them or send them a print?

Comment

emailed the jpg - if they want a print then you need to factor that in plus extra for sorting it

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Was it a commercial organisation that wanted to buy or just an individual John. If the latter, in what format did they want your image, as a file or as a finished print at what size for both options. You need to understand what they are intending to do with the image if they are commercial then you need to consider how to licence their use of your image.
          I don't think I've answered your questions but these are the questions I would be asking myself if someone asked to purchase an image of mine.
          Congratulations and good luck with this potential sale.
          Last edited by ST-EOS; 13-09-2015, 18:20.
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Selling images -a complex answer.
            1) make it clear you retain copyright and you are selling the image for their personal use and there can be no selling on to another party, copying or changing of the image without your written permission.
            2) price - charge as much as you can get away with. If you sell too cheap you devalue your skill and expertise, set the price too high and they won't buy it. Only you can judge what is the correct price
            3) if they want the image as a print factor that into the cost.
            4) Enjoy your first sale - it's a great experience !
            Hope that helps
            James
            James Boardman Woodend
            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Make sure you get the money first.

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                1) make it clear you retain copyright and you are selling the image for their personal use and there can be no selling on to another party, copying or changing of the image without your written permission.
                2) price - charge as much as you can get away with. If you sell too cheap you devalue your skill and expertise, set the price too high and they won't buy it. Only you can judge what is the correct price
                Hope that helps
                James
                excellent advice

Comment

Ŷ
                  Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                  Hope that helps
                  James
                  Agree, great advice.

And well done on your first sale
                  Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Congratulations on your first sale the others have given you the same advice I could give.

Nice image by the way
                    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                    Facebook
                    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for some great advice - I knew I could rely on this group to steer me in the right direction. I think James covered my concerns with some sound bullet points that covered all my concerns.

Thanks to all who responded - I appreciate your help and encouragement.

John

Comment

Congratulations. Well done.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Nat.

Comment

Don't sell them the image. Sell them a licence to use your image on a cost which depends on what they want to do with it.

How would you feel if you sold it for £50 and them found out it was on the front page of The Racing Post?

Set out your terms and cost. Ask them what they'd like to use the for...web, print etc and base a cost around that.

Comment

Working...
                            X