Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Confused

Confusion at the moment.

Haven't done anything for our local Beverley paper for the last 3/4 week since my contact there was lay off and last week i did some shot for a new publication in Driffield and hoping to get more work from them in the future.

Today i get an email from the Beverley local press asking if i would like to provide sports images for their paper once again! aaaaaaaargh
    I will go on the payroll at Beverley though I'm still waiting to see what figures they come up with.

Do i tell them to stuff it or go back to them???

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: I'm Confused

Makes no sense to me either Paul. Maybe they thought they could get the same quality that you supplied cheaper elsewhere. And now they have realised you are the best option.

Its a tough call, cut off your nose and all that. I suppose wait and see what the rates will be and then decide. One would expect that they would be offering you more than before?
    Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

I wouldn't over think the reasons, you'll never know what shenanigans may have gone on in the office. At the end of the day, if you enjoyed doing it, and if you've got the time and the rates are acceptable I'd take it.
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Since you're going to be on the payroll does that mean they will supply the equipment? Will they pay for repairs, insurance etc. if you do have to use your cameras?

Comment

Go for it.
          They made decisions that worked against you before and you had no choice.....now they have made a decision in your favour so I'd take advantage. Its sad to lose out when decisions are made against you but criminal if you let them work against you when they are in your favour!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I'd go back, better the devil you know ;o)...

Well done on getting out of all those DIY jobs as well
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Paul, you should go back to them. There is the old saying "pride goes before a fall".
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I would take it you never know your contact that was layed off may have upset someone and that is the reason they were layed off.
                1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                Facebook
                www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

First of all many thanks for all the replies much appreciated and I've taken on board everything that's been said.

But when i was asked to go back i wasn't jumping up and down and didn't have that feeling of excitement,do i really want to be tied down doing local action week in week out with NO CHOICE.

Also when there was the two of use he covered Driffield and i covered Beverley now they want me to cover Both towns so I'm thinking this is where the fun stops and the stress takes over so for that reason rightly or wrongly I've declined the offer and i will look to continue supporting and supplying the new Driffield publication where i have more freedom to express my work.

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

It's almost like they liked you, but didn't like the other guy and wanted to cut him out and keep you (or maybe, they like you both equally but couldn't afford you both and wanted to cut their costs in half).

Either way, going with your gut is the right choice, and good luck for the future, if it's a chore, and you don't *have* to do it, you shouldn't do it.
                    Tony.
                    https://www.flickr.com/eightbittony

Comment

Either way, going with your gut is the right choice, and good luck for the future, if it's a chore, and you don't *have* to do it, you shouldn't do it.
                      Thanks Tony
                      It did feel the right thing to do, and I feel relieved it's now all sorted.

Paul

Comment

Best of luck Paul. Going with your gut instincts is perhaps the right decision
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Couldn't you do both? Would you be tied to the one paper, or could you do the other, either Legit, or under an alias?

Comment

It rather sounds like a we will give one the chop situation, wait a decent time, then offer the job to you and stipulate you do both areas, thus they are cutting their costs and getting the work of two done by one, thinking you would jump at the chance.
                            You declining them has scuppered their plan, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered the job back to the other guy as they have royally shot themselves in the foot.
                            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                              It rather sounds like a we will give one the chop situation, wait a decent time, then offer the job to you and stipulate you do both areas, thus they are cutting their costs and getting the work of two done by one, thinking you would jump at the chance.
                              You declining them has scuppered their plan, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered the job back to the other guy as they have royally shot themselves in the foot.
                              Hi Tony
                              I certainly made the right move as the poor togs at Johnston press are having an even larger area to cover making their jobs very difficult and with their ever decreasing budget things aren't looking rosey.

Though all the photographers I meet & speak to are really nice guys and get on really well with, even though we are chasing and trying to get the best shots.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X