Challenge 108: Classic TV Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 108: Classic TV Title

I struggled with coming up with a theme for this one. At first, I wanted to recognise the start of the Rugby World Cup as the opening ceremony wasn't far from me last night. But I thought 'Men with odd shaped balls' probably wasn't the most appropriate. But this morning I was idly fingering the Radio Times when I realised that with the end of summer (here in the northern hemisphere anyway) comes the end of the summer dearth of decent telly. And starting back in the autumn schedules here this weekend are some of my favourites: Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, and then the glory that is Strictly (yes, I know not everyone's cup of tea). So I thought: Classic TV titles.
    So, enter your images that either evoke the programmes themselves or illustrate the titles (i.e. a market trader or a clown riding would both work for Only Fools and Horses). I will mark according to how well you have captured the theme (i.e. would I guess what programme it was if you hadn't told me?) as well as my assessment of the photographic quality (bearing in mind I am no expert).
    Please please enter in your droves, you have nothing to lose, only enjoyment to gain; I promise to provide constructive comments on all entries.
    The competition runs from today (Sat 19 Sept) until midnight (UK time) on the evening of Sun 4 Oct.

The standard rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Challenge 108: Classic TV Title

Well someone has to make a start and while we usually rely on Alex I guess he isn't posting one this time

This is the best I can come up, "male" spider...

"Male" Spider by Andrew Bird, on Flickr
    Andrew

Comment

SPRINGWATCH.....

7D + 24-105L.

Cheers, Chris.
      Just chuggin' along.

Comment

How Clean is Your House?

[IMG]End-of-season clean by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

This is Slough bus station so the program is of course "On the busses"

Busses 800 by Roger Macdonald, on Flickr

Canon 6D,taken 29/9/2015. 1/200 sec f10 ISO 100

Comment

A 5-shot HDR taken on our recent Spanish jaunt in the "golden hour" around dawn - hence the programme is "The Golden Shot".

(p.s. Snowbird will probably recognise this view)

The Golden Shot by John Liddle, on Flickr
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

If I have to name the programme I will have failed!

Composite photo; three elements. EOS 450D One element taken outside competition period as it was not now available; two other elements taken 2/10/2015. Composite assembled 3/10/2015.
              Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Thanks to the 6 of you who entered. I had really hoped for a few more, and thought I had come up with a good open theme, but maybe you are all watching the Rugby. Hey ho, maybe there will be a bumper crop for the next Challenge.
                My comments and thoughts on each entry, but please remember that I am not a proper judge, it is just my opinion, I hope no-one is offended.

Birdy: Male Spider. By which I’m assuming Spiderman. Really effective to have the silver strands hanging with the jewel-like dew against the black background. Lovely positioning in the frame, and good use of the space around. My slight quibble is that the spider itself is somewhat lost, it doesn’t seem quite sharp enough. But as an aside, I just dream of being able to venture into ISO values of 8000…

Chris J: Springwatch. I’m just glad I didn’t have a mouthful of tea when I saw this because it would have been all over the screen. A genuine laugh out loud moment. Nice job with the depth of field to have the watch face and top of the coil sharp, but the watch clasp going out of focus. At first I thought that the background colour was too similar to the metals and therefore it came over a bit bland, but on coming back to view I find it more harmonious.

Lunarbo: How Clean is Your House? A great perspective of a mundane task. I love the lines of colour created by the chairs and all the various shapes within shapes across the scene. And then on closer examination you see that the only two colours visible are blue and pink, which makes the whole scene blend really nicely. But Bo, if it is truly representative of ‘How Clean Is Your House?’ you are admitting that you live in a bar! I’m saying nothing. ;-))

RogerMac: On the Buses. A great spot, bus depots are usually soulless cavernous boxes so it is wonderful when someone creates some striking architecture instead. You have captured this, and the cloud formation creates real interest in the sky. I might perhaps have toned down the highlights in the sky at the back, but I like the reflected gleam on the roof. It is a shame about the rather ugly fences and stuff, but it is a working building and this shows that well. It is a slight shame that the only bus in sight is tucked right at the edge, but otherwise it meets the brief well.

John Liddle: The Golden Shot. A beautiful image, with lovely light and very well composed. And I really love the word play. It was shot in the golden hour, so it’s the Golden Shot. A photographic play on words. Brilliant. I wouldn’t have got it without the explanation, but once you know, it makes me smile. The placement of the sun right to the edge of the scene is inspired as it lets the light frame that edge of the lake. The HDR is subtly done and resulted in lots of detail. Bravo.

Ax2010: Untitled. Well, Garrett, you said that if you had to say the title you’d failed. Maybe I’m dense, but I have to admit I really don’t get it. If I had to go with something, I’d guess at the Banana Splits although I don’t get the relevance of the bare foot (maybe a nod to the mix between animation and live action?) or the snake (unless it is the Lion character’s tail), so I don’t think it can be. As an image it comes over to me as a little jumbled, and the selection of the foot could have been cleaner, but overall it is a fun and colourful image, packed with stuff.

My top 3 are:
                3rd: Birdy, for the striking jewel-like elegance of the image.
                2nd: John Liddle, in my opinion the most technically accomplished entry, but, because I wouldn’t have come up with the programme without prompting, pipped at the post by…
                1st: Chris J. It is very well executed, but the clincher is it just makes me smile. As Roy Walker would have said on Catchphrase: ‘Just say what you see’.

As an aside, Chris, this is your 5th Challenge win, joining a select band of only 6 people. And having won the very first Challenge, you’ve clearly straddled more than anyone else. Your entries are always so inventive and off-beat that I’m looking forward to your theme.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

pants - missed it, genuinely sorry fella, it came and went before it really registered.

That aside - great choice of winner, agree 100% Made me smile also

.DAVID.
                  Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Congratulations to Chris and grateful thanks to Alex for setting and judging the challenge (and for his kind words about my effort).
                    John Liddle

Comment

Alex, all I can say is that you must be too young to remember the intro to Monty Python's Flying Circus! But thanks for a challenge that I found very interesting and which I enjoyed thoroughly. I agree about the foot; it was the first time I had used layers in my new processing programme. Congratulations to Chris and the runners-up and to all who entered. Looking forward to the next one.
                      Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Alex- thanks for a fun challenge and for comments and judging.

Congratulations to Chris- a worthy winner- and runners up.

Looking forward to the next one!
                        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Garrett,

I realised that your entry might well be Monty Python (from the snake and the foot) - but I am still struggling to find Monty in the picture.
                          John Liddle

Comment

Gosh..... Glad I made you smile. It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek entry, as mine often are. Liked all the entries, and appreciated their technical quality. Thank you for the challenge and judging, Alex.
                            Just heading for The coat, so will post next challenge shortly.
                            Cheersm Chris.
                            Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Originally posted by ax2010@eircom.net View Post
                              Alex, all I can say is that you must be too young to remember the intro to Monty Python's Flying Circus!
                              Ah, Garrett, well I am indeed too young to remember the original 1969 series, but I am definitely a fully paid up member of the Python Worshipping congregration (as per Not The Nine O'clock News). To be honest, I did consider Python because of the foot, but couldn't work out what the other bits were, sorry but I am interested, can you explain? Before judging I even asked around the office for ideas and the general consensus was that if it was Python it would have a blue parrot, tin of spam or piece of cheese. But I'm obviously a bit predictable.
                              Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Working...
                              X