Upgrade of forum software and new server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We took the forum offline on Tuesday 22 September because the company hosting the forum told us they were upgrading the PHP on the server. The version of the forum software we were using was not compatible with the anticipated version of PHP, so we upgraded the forum software and waited for the server upgrade.

We were not happy with the hoops we had to jump through when the server was upgraded, so we took the opportunity to move the forum to a different hosting company and a new server.

With all these changes it is possible that you might encounter the odd problem. If so, please let me know without delay - email address below.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Re: Upgrade of forum software and new server

Welcome back. Seems to be working fine here.

Emyr

Comment

Working fine with me.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working fine from this side of the pond

Tom

PS: the look seems to be crisper. Which I do like.

Comment

Thank you for all your support of this increasingly popular forum Robert.
          Russell
          Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

seems OK Robert - I'll make sure you drop you a PM if a problem

nice to have the place back up
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Welcome back, I hope all is well with everyone. Looks to be working fine from this laptop. They do say absence makes the heart grow fonder .
              I shall try using tapatalk to access the forum after I've had breakfast.
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

All seems to be working fine for me too - lets hope the 503 has been fixed along the way as well

What does not seem to have improved is the improved is the quality of direct uploads

This is a shot I uploaded to my EOS album and linked from there, the second, a direct upload and third from flickr

flickr is still the best but it may be my eyes but looks like a slight improvement linking from the album rather than direct upload

3312 - little grebe.jpg

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                  Welcome back, I hope all is well with everyone. Looks to be working fine from this laptop. They do say absence makes the heart grow fonder .
                  I shall try using tapatalk to access the forum after I've had breakfast.
                  I know it's nearly lunch time now! I've been busy since breakfast. I had to log on via Tapatalk which seems to work from the iPad. It seems all is working fine. When I get time and at a PC with a larger screen I'll have a look at Stan's post above to see what uploading to the forum direct looks like.
                  Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

I agree with Stan we still seem to have this soft problem with direct uploads

I don't use other forums as I don't have the time but is anyone else posting images to other forums that use VB and finding the images upload fine?

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                      All seems to be working fine for me too - lets hope the 503 has been fixed along the way as well

What does not seem to have improved is the improved is the quality of direct uploads
                      Hi Stan,

I like to think we resolved the 503 error before the current upgrade. I disabled an anti-spam filter in vBulletin which appeared to be too aggressive. That was over a month ago and we have not had any reports of 503 errors since then. But then we had periods of several weeks without a 503 error before, so I might be tempting fate...

Sorry, there is unlikely to be an improvement in the quality of direct image uploads either now or in the future. The uploads are limited to a specific size and the image files are compressed to save space. These files are stored in forum database and make up the majority of the database size. Given that this is a free-to-use forum and online storage is relatively expensive, increasing the size of direct uploads or reducing the compression is not a viable option.

When you link to external storage, such as flickr, you set the image parameters and it does not increase the forum database requirements. So although we have no plans to disable direct image uploads, we much prefer members to link to an external source. If the 503 and PHP errors have gone away, members should now find this less frustrating.
                      Robert
                      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Sorry, there is unlikely to be an improvement in the quality of direct image uploads either now or in the future
                        not a real problem for me as I always link from flickr anyway

Stan
                        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                        flickr

Comment

Robert given that this is a free site I believe your approach to be a sensible one.
                          Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Robert, firstly, thanks for maintaining the site, and also hopefully you have indeed solved the 503 problem. Fingers crossed and touching wood etc. I will add that I am also a member of another similarly sized and free forum, they seem to have exactly the same storage constraints that you describe and take a similar stance as you, if anything they are a little stronger in discouraging direct uploads. I think you have the balance about right, I am sure most regular posters should be happy to use Flickr or some such most of the time but occasionally I might want to direct upload something, say if I have edited someone else's image as an example and therefore it wouldn't be right to upload it to my Flickr page.
                            Canon EOS 7D
                            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I prefer flickr links rather than direct as it offers more data plus you can see other images should you use the link

Comment

Working...
                              X