X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: any advise on websites

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
    what? why
    I suspect that it's to do with the way it had to be set up in the dns records. Officially, shootproof is supposed to be used as a gallery addition to your existing site under a sub domain set in the cname records eg gallery.yourdomain.co.uk. When I set it up I cheated the system and used www, which worked ok, and was listed by google but didn't play nicely with the shopping cart. Shootproof support told me that it causes issues with the cart, which I thought was crap because it worked fine in most cases, but appears to be the case as I had no further issues after changing my cname. I don't have another site, so I set it up so that www is redirected to photos and I think this may be why google has delisted me. I obviously have options, just deciding which way to go with it.
    Paul

Comment

Following your recommendations Ian, I've looked at the options and decided on setting up a separate site, linked to my galleries for the time being, but giving me the option to go full standalone later. Are there any WordPress themes you recommend at all?
      Paul

Comment

Themeforest.net have loads of themes, but you also have photocrati.com and the layout options are endless, just make sure the theme is fully responsive, which they all should be now
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Themeforest.net have loads of themes, but you also have photocrati.com and the layout options are endless, just make sure the theme is fully responsive, which they all should be now
          Fully responsive?
          Paul

Comment

so they display ok on mobile phones - sadly the world is mad on mobile devices so everything has look good on phones, even more so if you want traffic from God (google)

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I did a bit of research and got my head around it. That's the kicker really, most people have the web address and know what to do with it, but sadly I am very aware that a lot of less technically articulate people will type it into the search bar. If the site is not listed it won't come up for those people so being search engine friendly is important in that respect.
              Paul

Comment

Getting G to crawl a site isn't hard as its a register of domain names so is instantly aware of ownership and when it was bought, the hard thing is getting it ranking high for keywords

A domain that is your name or business should always rank top, so long as it not associated to a much stronger brand - So getting Paul Smith ( Example) Photography or dog photography will be easy

Comment

I've attempted to keep it as relevant as possible, flyball photos is what it's about so that's what I have concentrated on. I have a very loose understanding of search engine optimization. The biggest issue I had was that people would ask me for the web address but forget it and ask me again, sometimes several times throughout the day. If I give them something they can remember, and easily find via a search engine it will hopefully increase my sales a little.
                  Paul

Comment

SEO isn't easy and sadly I send most of my day trying to keep on top of whats going on - but TBH with the target market of your site being local flyball photos it will be easy so long as you have your own site / space / good keyword name & some basic understanding of whats required to get a site ranking. You'll need a good title & heading to pages, along with text ... Google can't see photos ;o) ..

Once finished the site I'll be happy to give it the once over for you - Then you'll need to get it submitted to some good business directories & dog sites, but don't make the mistake of posting the URL in your signature here
                    Last edited by Tigger; 14-11-2015, 07:07.

Comment

SEO isn't easy and sadly I send most of my day trying to keep on top of whats going on - but TBH with the target market of your site being local flyball photos it will be easy so long as you have your own site / space / good keyword name & some basic understanding of whats required to get a site ranking. You'll need a good title & heading to pages, along with text ... Google can't see photos ;o) ..

Once finished the site I'll be happy to give it the once over for you - Then you'll need to get it submitted to some good business directories & dog sites, but don't make the mistake of posting the URL in your signature here
                      Basic site is up, still a fair bit of stuff to do with it, sorting out my gallery links properly and a little more related cobtent but it's running as far as giving an intermediate landing point for the existing galleries. I made sure I had relevant content in a couple of pages and already submitted it. It lists already, and high if you are specific with the search query. That's pretty much what I was after and I can build on that. I'm intrigued by the last part though Ian? I've seen it mentioned about taking care with posting urls elsewhere, in the old days you posted wherever you could get some additional exposure. Is that relevant to full page urls or just the main site? My galleries have an option for people to share photo or a gallery on social media which includes a link, which is obviously going to hit my target audience but I wonder if it is a negative as far as search engines go? All feedback welcomed, you can find me on Google if you happen to be searching for flyball photos in Maidstone, lol
                      Paul

Comment

the old days....thats when people still had a choice of where to search, now what was a great marketplace is dominated by one search engine CRAP.... rant over, you hit a nerve

the problem is G views any link you control as spam, so forums, GBs and even some directories now, they want to see links given freely and by people linking to you because they like your site - this is one reason forums are a huge red flag to G. Having galleries posted I don't see being a problem

the most important page on your site is the index page / home page, thats where all your efforts need to go and the page that must have a good amount of text, I look around at least 500 words.

Comment

So would G know that I control the facebook page if I share a link there? Obviously I post an announcement on the page when I have updated a new gallery for an event. It's necessary to let my followers know, but would that be bad? Home page will need a little update then, lol
                          Paul

Comment

facebook links aren't crawled, same for many other SM sites

lol.. writing 500 words on your interest and hobby should be easy, plus you've got to remember it doesn't stop at just the index - A good way to get events pages ranking is you do a review on the event, like a journal - then followed by the photo, that will get you ranking for XYZ dog flyball straight away ;o) ...

Comment

Thanks for the advice Ian, all good interesting stuff.
                              Paul

Comment

Well I finally bit the bullet and have created a web site for my photography.

When I say I've created the site it isn't a finished article yet! ( will it ever be I wonder)

I would appreciate it you could have a look and tell me how you find it from a navigation/ease of use and layout/theme. Note that whilst the galleries have a selection of images in them, they are not the final images, just a selection I was using to test the method/techniques of using the host. Any thoughts/adice/comment would be useful as feedback on what it looks like to others eyes IYSWIM.

And thanks to Ian for your help and for taking the time to have a look and comment on the site and on how good looking I'm not .

LINK
                                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                                X