Canon 3d mk3 upgrade path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 3d mk3 upgrade path

hello all I am sitting on the fence at the moment. I have the 70D but I am getting serious on portraits and street. with the 5dmk3 on lots of discounts here in the states will it be wiser to jump to the 5dmk3 over the 6d as both it seems may very well be replaced soon. the 5d is better for outdoor use in my eyes as I still am very well in to wild birds and bif.
    ti1 70D 5Dmk3 10-22 ef-s 50mm1.8 mk1 70-200 4 is l 400 5.6l 100mm macro is l 18-135 stm ef-s
    1.4 tele mk3 now the 85 1.8 ef lens 16-35 4 is l 50 1.4 canon

Re: Canon 3d mk3 upgrade path

I went for the 5D Mark 3 after my 70D and have been very pleased with it.
    For me the focus points, viewfinder and a few other features sung it for me.

There are some good prices for both available now.
    Yes, it's likely/possible they'll be upgraded in the next year or so, but if the camera you buy does what you need it doesn't matter.
    A very good friend of mine has the 6D and it performs superbly, definitely not a second class camera.

Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy it.
    Andy

Comment

if only we had a crystal ball and new what was going to be on offer from the new 5D ;0)

But for what its worth the current model is a stunning camera and will offer you a huge leap forward in features and quality, question is do you want maybe more pixels, improved AF, faster processor....or my own pet hate a articulating screen... But all these possible features will come with a big premium and if the current model is being discounted, I'd be tempted to buy now
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I'm a strong believer in investing in mature models that have all the glitches ironed out and that have lost the new model price premium. The 6D is excellent value but doesn't provide the focus system of the 5DMKIII...I bought mine in March and love it!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
          I'm a strong believer in investing in mature models that have all the glitches ironed out and that have lost the new model price premium. The 6D is excellent value but doesn't provide the focus system of the 5DMKIII...I bought mine in March and love it!
          I second that. I upgraded from a 40D to 6D when I decided it was time to go full frame. It produces lovely images - but let me down when I wanted some fast focussing. I bought a 2nd hand 5Dmkiii and after a bit if a learning curve I love it. Unless the 5D breaks I suspect that the 6Dwill ecome trade-in fodder when I want to lash out on another lens or two.

Martin

Comment

thank you all for the advice it seems that the 5d mk3 is the ideal choice for what I want to do. now the choice of speed lights will be difficult as I have a 430 ex mk2 and want to go radio flash the rt 600 or the new 430 mk3. can the 430ex mk2 be fitted via hot shoe with a transponder or will I have to buy 2 of the new flashes plus the controller for off camera flash?
            ti1 70D 5Dmk3 10-22 ef-s 50mm1.8 mk1 70-200 4 is l 400 5.6l 100mm macro is l 18-135 stm ef-s
            1.4 tele mk3 now the 85 1.8 ef lens 16-35 4 is l 50 1.4 canon

Comment

Working...
            X