MPB advertEOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate printing photographs.....

Default Re: I hate printing photographs.....

If you haven't calibrated your screen then you have no real chance of getting decent prints. Some other points to consider,
    1. Are you using canon inks or compatibles?
    2. What paper are you printing on?
    If you are using Canon ink and paper there is a standard profile available for your printer which should give good results.

Member*

I Use a Mac and find printing with my rather old Canon MP640 fine. I have calibrated both my screen & printer using a Color Munki. My canon printer is selected for colour management & then once you click print another menu opens up just before clicking the final print button you need to go into the print submenus and make sure you have the correct paper & that the canon printer is selected in Colour management .

Sue

Member*

I will probably get shot down for what I am going to say . But I have one of the cheap Canon printers , an MG5650 . It only prints up to A4 . But does have multiple inks and is advertised as a photo printer . I use Canon inks , and print on Canon photo glossy 2 paper , neither I suppose are cheap , but I don`t print hundreds of images so do not really count the cost . On my old Canon printer , I did find I needed to brighten them up a little , but not so on this printer . I have also calibrated my monitor , and I think this does make a big difference . I am told it`s very hard to get an exact looking print , as to how it looks on our monitors , because monitors are back lit and physical prints are not . I am assuming it`s the colours your not happy with , and I think if you have not , calibrating your monitor would help a lot . I would personally user the printer makers papers , ie if it`s an Epsom use Epsom papers , if it`s a Canon use Canon papers . If your after perfect home prints , it`s going to take a lot of trial and error I feel , and I would try not to get to hung up on it .

I got decent results from my Epson SX400, but, it was through trial and error. The colour was good, but the brightness was a struggle. Eventually I set up a preset of "adjustments for print" in Lightroom. Anything I wanted to print, I made a virtual copy, applied the preset, and printed. Worked for me!
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook
    Eos 1Dsii, EOS 500d, EFS 18-55 f3.5-5.6, EF 75-300 f4-5.6, EF 50 f1.8, EF 70-200 f4L, YN568EX Speedlight, YN560ii Speedlight, Lowepro Slingshot 202AW

I have been printing my pictures for years.
    1. I always calibrate my monitor on a monthly basis,
    2. I use genuine inks
    3. I use the correct profile for my printer/paper combination (As i use manufacturers genuine ink I don't have worry about this)
    4. I use soft proofing prior to printing and adjust if necessary.
    5. I make sure that either Lightroom or Photoshop controls the printer colour management and NOT the printer
    It is mportant to understand that the cour gamut of your monitor will be greater than the printer, also, remember that on a monitor adding all the colours will produce white whereas on a printer adding all the colours will produce black. This is fundamental and is the reason to use soft proofing in lightroom and photoshop.
    5DMk IV, 5D Mk III, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Step 1: Calibrate your screen
    Step 2: The software NOT the printer needs to control the printer Via the correct profile for the printer/media combination
    Step 3: Only ever use the manufacturers ink NOT so called compatibles
    5DMk IV, 5D Mk III, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12