SHOWCASE 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHOWCASE 2015

Hello all - long time no post but I thought now would be another ideal time to issue a reminder to all posters - new and old to the forum - to start sorting out their photos ready for the end of year Showcase.

The categories will remain the same:

Categories:

1. Landscape photography - Landscapes, seascapes and the urban landscape.
    2. People and portraits - Portraits, travel and street photography.
    3. Nature photography - Animals, flowers and other living things.
    4. Sport and action photography - All sports and action.
    5. Transport - Cars, bikes, ships, boats, planes, etc.
    6. Macro photography - Close-ups of any subject.
    7. Black and white, HDR, Colour Popping, Infra Red and any other photographic 'technique'
    8. Anything else

So remember to save those pictures and the all important data that goes with it - when it was taken (has to be 2015), EOS camera, etc.

Also remember that any photo entered will be published on this website for voting to take place, so it is vitally important that you ensure that this is possible without infringing anyones privacy rights etc (remember that different countries have different rules regarding the taking of photos etc). This was unfortunately the case with the 2014 winner of the Peoples and Portraits category where the picture was taken in France, which has got strict privacy laws.

I will post at some point just after Christmas with full details, rules and how to enter.

Andy.

PS: Sadly not been on as not had any time to take the camera out for a few months - even though I really want to. Hoping that the New Year will bring me some new spare time or an extra hour or two a month somehow but will have to wait and see. Hope everyone is well and I've not missed too much. I just cant believe this year is nearly over already.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Re: SHOWCASE 2015

The original idea for a forum showcase was put forward in 2011 by jonesjg as a competition for MEMBERS to showcase their best images of the year and worked very well with active members getting involved both in submitting shots and voting for their favourites, until last year when there was a glut of entries from people who just joined the forum to enter the competition and had no interest in a regular participation once the competition was over. To make matters worse, 5 out of the individual category winners and the overall winner (Sylvia, kemet, mjm383, Arthur james and creasy) have, as far as I can see never been heard from again and in fact I think the only one of the five to even acknowledge being a winner was mjm383.

So I think that in fairness to all the regular members who support the forum throughout the year, that there should be a requirement for a minimum number of postings before being allowed to enter the showcase

So what do members think

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

I'm happy to go with the flow, albeit an extra item to check it should be easy to do assuming you don't want a minimum number of posts in the last 12 months.

To make another suggestion though: is that maybe I add another category specifically for forum contributors - thoughts?
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
      [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

To make another suggestion though: is that maybe I add another category specifically for forum contributors - thoughts?
        the original concept was a showcase for forum members/contributors, so I don't think any extra category is needed

I'm happy to go with the flow, albeit an extra item to check it should be easy to do assuming you don't want a minimum number of posts in the last 12 months.
        I was thinking of something around a minimum post of 20, so that most new members from the last month or so could be included but not those who join for the sole purpose of entering the competition and have no other interest in participating in the forum

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          The original idea for a forum showcase was put forward in 2011 by jonesjg as a competition for MEMBERS to showcase their best images of the year and worked very well with active members getting involved both in submitting shots and voting for their favourites, until last year when there was a glut of entries from people who just joined the forum to enter the competition and had no interest in a regular participation once the competition was over. To make matters worse, 5 out of the individual category winners and the overall winner (Sylvia, kemet, mjm383, Arthur james and creasy) have, as far as I can see never been heard from again and in fact I think the only one of the five to even acknowledge being a winner was mjm383.

So I think that in fairness to all the regular members who support the forum throughout the year, that there should be a requirement for a minimum number of postings before being allowed to enter the showcase

So what do members think

Stan
          I agree wholeheartedly Stan and was going to suggest the same qualification myself.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Agree with Stan, if its a forum showcase of work for the year it should be from members that support the forum not those that just joining to get images into print ...

Regarding activity I think we do need a minimum posting count and I would be happy with 10 + as this will help some of the newer members that have joined and want to submit there images

To save work you could tell members when completing theres details to including posting count
            Last edited by Tigger; 08-12-2015, 10:02.
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Agree whole heartedly with Stan's suggestion.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

one thing I would like to suggest is B&W covers a huge range of images and I would much sooner see it as a separate section ?
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Looks like general agreement so far but 99 views and only 3 of us bothered to respond. Come on guys, you surely must have an opinion, so what do you think

stan

flickr

Comment

I think some form of qualification is an excellent idea - there are many other fully open competitions for folks to enter if they so wish. As the signs in the small shops around here say "Keep it local".
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

So what do members think

Stan
                      Ditto for me as well

Tom

Comment

In the old fashioned "dictum", silence means full agreement with the views expressed!! The "ayes" have it!!
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Agree - Stan's comments seem sensible.
                          - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

I would be happy to have some kind of 'qualifying' criteria, and what Stan is proposing seems very reasonable. I'm not suggesting this is a better idea (and indeed I wouldn't like it because it would actually preclude me, so I don't know why I'm saying it) but another option would be that only magazine subscribers could enter (denoted, I understand, by having a green symbol displayed next to our username). I actually share my subscription and it is in the other person's name, and many others may do the same, but I can see that some of us could be considered to be taking advantage of this great forum without contributing towards its running costs.
                            But if Robert is happy, I would much rather go with the minimum number of posts option.

Edit, oh, I've just seen that I've got a green symbol. I'm now confused.
                            Canon EOS 7D
                            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

but another option would be that only magazine subscribers could enter
                              that would be fine I think if it were a competition sponsored by EOS Magazine but its not, it is a showcase for forum members images, independent of the magazine so the number of posts would be a better criteria

Edit, oh, I've just seen that I've got a green symbol. I'm now confused.
                              the green symbol only means you are online to the forum

Stan

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X