Latest Issue Technique Camera choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Issue Technique Camera choice

Great article covering most of the issues between full frame and APS-c, the one you didn't mention was if you want the same field of view, for example if you shoot a scene at 16mm f4 with full frame then shoot the same scene at 10mm f4 with a APS-c camera though they cover the same field of view the depth of field on the APS-c will be equivalent to about f8 on the full frame. This is were Canon have a poor history of providing wide aperture lenses for the APS-c sensor other manufactures provide lenses in the f1.2 or f1.6 range for there APS[c sensor models and Canon have one f2.8 and one f2 and the later is for a M mount only. It's about time that Canon started to invest in this wider range of apertures for there APS-c sensor models.

Re: Latest Issue Technique Camera choice

Originally posted by dulso View Post
    Great article covering most of the issues between full frame and APS-c, the one you didn't mention was if you want the same field of view, for example if you shoot a scene at 16mm f4 with full frame then shoot the same scene at 10mm f4 with a APS-c camera though they cover the same field of view the depth of field on the APS-c will be equivalent to about f8 on the full frame. This is were Canon have a poor history of providing wide aperture lenses for the APS-c sensor other manufactures provide lenses in the f1.2 or f1.6 range for there APS[c sensor models and Canon have one f2.8 and one f2 and the later is for a M mount only. It's about time that Canon started to invest in this wider range of apertures for there APS-c sensor models.
    Thanks for your feedback.

No, I did not mention this because I could not think of a real-life situation where a photographer would want to shoot the same subject with a full-frame camera and then an APS-C camera and retain the same field-of-view. It is the sort of thing talked about by some camera reviewers, but does it ever happen in practice?
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Re: Latest Issue Technique Camera choice

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
      Thanks for your feedback.

No, I did not mention this because I could not think of a real-life situation where a photographer would want to shoot the same subject with a full-frame camera and then an APS-C camera and retain the same field-of-view. It is the sort of thing talked about by some camera reviewers, but does it ever happen in practice?
      The reason I mentioned it was because it happened to me I was taking a portrait head and shoulders shot at a carol concert and a friend with me took the same shot with a Sony A7R at 80mm f2.8 and I used a Canon M3 with a 17-55mm at 55mm f2.8. he had a lovely soft bokeh in the background but mine you could see the people behind and the church doorway in the background the image of the person were the same. If I could have taken the shot at f1.6 I would have had the same result as he had got. The other annoying thing was is 24-80mm f2.8 cost less than my 17-55mm f2.8. I could have swopped lenses to a prime 50mm 1.8 but there was not enough time before the opportunity had gone.

Comment

Working...
      X