Christmas Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Lights

We spent Christmas away this year, in Levi, Finland.

On the last night, we were treated to a clear sky (unfortunately with a near full moon) and the best display of Northern Lights I have witnessed - just amazing and humbling.

The softening of the lights comes from the rapid movement of the "curtains" of light- I had never realised just how fast they come, go, mutate and change colour. At times, there were ripples of coloured flashes along the bottom of the curtains that looked like a rope of fairy lights changing colour.

Northern Lights - Levi, Finland by John Liddle, on Flickr

Northern Lights - Levi, Finland by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Christmas Lights

Excellent work John. I particularly like the second image which I think would be worth you entering into APOTY 2016.
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

James - thank you for your kind words and encouragement - I shall look into APOTY 2106.
      John Liddle

Comment

Excellent, Northern lights are fantastic to see and you've captured a brilliant display.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Both fantastic shots of an awesome sight John
          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Great images John, well done
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
              Excellent work John. I particularly like the second image
              agree that second shot is stunning - the only thing have you added any lens correction? the trees either side look like they are leaning into the center, or maybe they were ?
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Anthony, Alan, Peter & Ian - thank you for your kind comments.

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                agree that second shot is stunning - the only thing have you added any lens correction? the trees either side look like they are leaning into the center, or maybe they were ?
                Ian - this is something I wanted to look into more before posting the images, but I couldn't hold myself back! I have applied the lens profile corrections in LR (and I also tried the DPP ones), but although they did improve things, the peripheral distortion at the extreme short end of the lens range is still very obvious.

I know there must be a way of addressing this, but I am not sure as what the best course of action would be - any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
                John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post

Ian - this is something I wanted to look into more before posting the images, but I couldn't hold myself back! I have applied the lens profile corrections in LR (and I also tried the DPP ones), but although they did improve things, the peripheral distortion at the extreme short end of the lens range is still very obvious.

I know there must be a way of addressing this, but I am not sure as what the best course of action would be - any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
                  I normally like you just apply the standard lens corrections, but in some cases it doesn't fully resolve the problem, so in LR you have a manual adjustment as well so try that as I've found sometimes that sorts the problem

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Solved! - the image below has been corrected using the distort feature in PS.

Is the change desirable, or should one just accept the image as produced by the camera?

5DJL5641-Edit-1 by John Liddle, on Flickr
                    John Liddle

Comment

thats much better, although ( sorry) by correcting it you've lost some of the snow off the bottom and I think that looks quite nice in the first edit - but its easily put right right in PS, and whilst doing that, maybe lighten the trees a tad ...then thats it honest ....

Comment

Amazing....the corrected version is better in my opinion, I'd be tempted to crop back to a landscape format though. But what a fantastic sight and experience. Thanks for sharing these.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                          ...then thats it honest ....
                          Well, as long as you really, really mean that's all.....

Final Version by John Liddle, on Flickr
                          John Liddle

Comment

nice +

Comment

Brian, thank you for your comments, and just for you.....

Final Version (Landscape) by John Liddle, on Flickr
                              Last edited by John Liddle; 28-12-2015, 17:03. Reason: Typo correction
                              John Liddle

Comment

Working...
                              X