Canon 70-300 'L' tripod mount.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 70-300 'L' tripod mount.

Just been lucky enough to get one of these. Not to bad a price and with the double cashback promotion it's almost the equal of a grey import deal.

What I can't fathom out is how they can make and sell the lens for around £800.00 - then charge £150+ for a tripod mount (it should be included with the lens I feel, especially as they recommend the use of one).

Has anyone used and recommend a pattern part? I'm not necessarily talking about budget £10.00 jobs here, but if I could save myself some substantial wedge on a decent copy I'm interested.

P.S. I have a Canon 400 with a Canon mount and have to admit its a well made item with an extremely good fit, but still can't see how they justify the price.

Re: Canon 70-300 'L' tripod mount.

Originally posted by John N View Post
    Just been lucky enough to get one of these. Not to bad a price and with the double cashback promotion it's almost the equal of a grey import deal.

What I can't fathom out is how they can make and sell the lens for around £800.00 - then charge £150+ for a tripod mount (it should be included with the lens I feel, especially as they recommend the use of one).

Has anyone used and recommend a pattern part? I'm not necessarily talking about budget £10.00 jobs here, but if I could save myself some substantial wedge on a decent copy I'm interested.

P.S. I have a Canon 400 with a Canon mount and have to admit its a well made item with an extremely good fit, but still can't see how they justify the price.

I do have the cheap eBay one, can't remember the exact price (was around £14 I think?) I've had it pretty much from when the lens first came out and use it to carry the lens/camera (5DMKIII) with one of those shoulder strap things via the tripod thread and it's been perfect - no problems at all, (I am an engineer so did check it out albeit visually) yes I do think it's a rip off by Canon not to include a tripod mount or case!

Comment

This is the one I bought, seems to be a bit more expensive now but I liked the fact that the base is screwed onto the mount!

Comment

£32.00 + pp if you go direct so £24.00 is not looking too bad. I'll see if a few more recommendations come through but this looks like it'll do the job.

Comment

£32.00 + pp if you go direct so £24.00 is not looking too bad. I'll see if a few more recommendations come through but this looks like it'll do the job.
          There are loads more on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...S+USM&_sacat=0 but that one just looked good to me!

Comment

I paid around £25 for mine, looks identical to the canon one!

Comment

While not for the 70-300, I got this one for my 70-200L. Here is the review i posted on it if you are interested! I still stand by what I wrote nearly 3 years on. I think they do one for the 70-300L also.

Cheers,

Garry
              Garry Macdonald on Flickr
              Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Very useful advice all as I am pondering the purchase of the 70-300mm L sometime in the near future; thanks very much.... Colin

Comment

Well I got the one mentioned in the first reply. It's not as good as the CANON item on my 400 'L' but at only 17% of the price I'm not complaining. Not as easy to fit, collar is nice and snug but I found the screw connection a little awkward - it took me several attempts to correctly align it and at one point I thought I'd stripped the thread. But it's on and it stays on. There are no sharp edges which I saw mentioned on some e bay reviews for similar even cheaper products.

In use I find it makes a good handhold when not using the tripod - better balance etc.

Compared with a similar CANON product. Think ROLLS ROYCE & FORD, both do the same, but one does it a whole lot smoother.
                  Last edited by John N; 14-01-2016, 11:29. Reason: Accuracy

Comment

In use I find it makes a good handhold when not using the tripod - better balance etc.
                    This is how I use mine more often than not
                    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                    X