Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NOW OPEN FOR ENTRIES: SHOWCASE 2015

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
    my only concern is the direct upload problem as some of the images I looked at were soft and not being displayed in there full glory - which I know isn't the case !
    Some are very soft indeed.
    - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

I have used the same method in uploading that has been used in all previous years - ie create an album on here and upload the pictures to it. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to change anything regarding how things are done on here but will have another look when I finish work tonight to see if I did anything wrong in the uploading.
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
      [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

I don't remember them looking this bad before - perhaps you could contact Robert and ask him to host the images rather than direct uploads.
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

OK - Photos have been removed until further notice (as don't want to do anyone an injustice by having soft versions) - I will see what I can do / sort out, but sadly its a bit difficult to do at moment as about to finish my lunch hour (well 15 minutes) and back to work.

I will re-post when I have it sorted hopefully before, if not definitely over the weekend.
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
            Ensure your images are a maximum of 1024 pixels along its widest/longest edge and the file size no more than 1Meg in size.
            I think this is much more likely to have had an effect on the image quality - there is no way you can squeeze a (say) 10Mb file down to 1Mb or less without a significant loss of quality
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
              I think this is much more likely to have had an effect on the image quality - there is no way you can squeeze a (say) 10Mb file down to 1Mb or less without a significant loss of quality
              Hi John, that will have an effect but I can see a huge difference in the small 1024 pixel file copy I still have here to the version that appears on the forum after Andy uploaded it.
              - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

there is no way you can squeeze a (say) 10Mb file down to 1Mb or less without a significant loss of quality
                that is true I would think if you are trying a direct upload on a full sized image but generally for use on the forum 900 px to 1050 px is the norm and whilst uploading such an image to flickr and then liking from there has no adverse effect on the quality, upload the same image direct from your computer will just ruin it

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

OK - the original upload of the pictures failed as some came out soft so i have now posted 9 threads - one for each category with the images hosted by me as they were sent to me so hopefully these will look good.

I MUST ASK THAT PEOPLE DO NOT REPLY TO THE THREADS WITH THE IMAGES ON PLEASE - as this will result in increased bandwidth being taken from my domain site as people keep looking at the replies on those threads - you only need to go into the threads then to look at images please. continue any discussions on this thread if possible please.

Again, please can all entrants now CHECK that their entry has been uploaded to the correct category group and has the correct title that they wanted. Viewing can also commence of the entries by anyone.

You have until midnight Friday to check that your entries are correctly categorised / titled. Mistakes do happen although I have tried to double check. You only need to contact me if there is an error or you cannot find your entry. Please PM or send an email to error2015@aj1.co.uk - I will then make the corrections late friday / Saturday and voting will commence at the weekend - instructions will be given when voting opens.

PLEASE CHECK
                  i) your pictures are here
                  ii) they are in the categories you expect them to be in
                  iii) the title is correct (the 4 digit number at the start is my addition to identify pictures)

The links to the threads for the 2015 categories are below:

Anything Else - 6 entries.

Black and White - 8 entries.

Landscapes - 15 entries.

Macro - 2 entries.

Nature - 13 entries.

People and Portraits - 9 entries.

Sport and Action - 7 entries.

Techniques, HDR, Colour popping, etc - 7 entries.

Transport - 6 entries.

Remember: Midnight Friday 15th for any corrections to be notified to me please.

Thanks,

Andy.
                  Andy
                  Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work Andy, good job Sir!

Garry
                    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                      Thanks for all your hard work Andy, good job Sir!

Garry
                      Yes - well done Andy - 10 out of 10 AND a GOLD STAR!
                      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Its not all over yet :) - still got the voting to sort out and count LOL.

I take it the quality if better than was originally uploaded - if someone can confirm these look acceptable, then my mind and few hours of typing / uploading again haven't gone to waste LOL.
                        Andy
                        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

I looked at some of the entries before they were taken down, and the re-posted images all look acceptable to me.

Comment

Ok thanks Quad - you may have to give up your little badge soon... :)
                            Andy
                            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Andy, I didn't see the earlier 'soft' attempt, but these look great to me. Very well done, and take a pat on the back (for now, I know you still have more to do). It is lovely to see some old favourites again; there may be less entries this year but this really has the feel of a Forum Showcase rather than an open competition to me, which is exactly how it should be.
                              Canon EOS 7D
                              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                                Yes - well done Andy - 10 out of 10 AND a GOLD STAR!
                                agree, you've done well again

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                                It is lovely to see some old favourites again; there may be less entries this year but this really has the feel of a Forum Showcase rather than an open competition to me, which is exactly how it should be.
                                agree Alex its a showcase for those that support the forum, the way it should be
                                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                                X