Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yongnua 565 flash problems

Youngnua 565 EXii flash images

I have got the above flash gun and don't use it much as I am unable to use flash for taking pictures of church ceremonies.
    However,yesterday I had the opportunity of using the flash, BEFORE,the service and found that,although the flash fired OK, the image was very faint. I used my 6D on manual setting, TV 1/80;AV f5, auto ISO and auto WB. (These flash pics were not critical as I could take pics without flash anyway, with this camera).

When I went home, I ensured that the camera was set for speedlite etc (I had not set this up earlier) and the flash was also set for ETTL,auto zoom distance etc. I now find that if I set the mode dial on the camera to either P or the green button & increase the ISO manually to around 1600, the flash pictures are OK- as they should be. My problem is that I never had this trouble when I used the Canon 580EX as the flash always adjusted the exposure to give me acceptable images.

I will be grateful if those members who use a flash often, could advice me as to what I am doing wrong.

Many thanks for your help.

Nathaniel
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 04-01-2016, 19:18.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Yongnua 565 flash problems

either read the manual again ,but i think you have ? or stop using them cheapo panasonic batteries

Comment

I am using new Duracell batteries all the time on my flash and they charge up very quick.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Nat, have a look at your batteries I build remote control boats on and off and rechargables are slightly less powerful. This is why most don't put them in the transmitters. As for the flash have you tried manual settings in the garden using a fixed point and then I presume you have TTL and compare. My Minolta film cameras flash is similar so I use manual and all is well just took a bit of working out.
        Regs Keith

Comment

Thanks Keith. I don't use rechargeables on my flash but only Duracell. I will of course try what you have suggested. The problem is that I don't use flash very much but I do remember the last time I use flash-about a year ago- it worked fine. I also don't know whether I have pressed some buttons here and there- inadvertently, and this might be the problem. Anyway, I will take a closer look and see.

Comment

Hi Nathaniel,
            Sounds very much like you have inadvertently turned the power of the flash down so that although firing it is under exposing. Done
            it my self a few times. Good luck.

Comment

Does look like I have messed things up somewhere as the flash worked very well on my birthday last August. Used bounced flash and the images were spot on.

Comment

had a play with mine today and its fine

Comment

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have taken a shot with my 100D and it's on board flash and the image is very well lit. I have tried the same with the YN 565 and the image & the flash shot is very poor. I don't have another flash to compare and so I am hoping to buy a Canon Speedlite-either a 430ii or 580EX to check and if the pictures are better, I will sell the YN565 as I cannot control it. The YN565 fires OK but for some reason the 6d and the YN 565 don't appear to talk to each other.

Comment

nat i,m not familiar with your 6D controls but in the menu options is there one that says ,external speedlite controls ,if so there will be a sub menu that comes to life when the flash is switched on and shows all the settings for the flashgun ,i'll bet that you either have exposure comp turned down in that or power levels turned down .

Comment

I will certainly take a look. The interesting thing is that I have also tried the flash on my 100D and the result is the same. It looks like the problem is with the YN565 itself. My Canon full frame 6D controls for the speedlite is correctly set.

Comment

Nat just read Jeffs post and tried this on my 5Dmk3, with the speedlite on the camera go to the external flash settings which on my camera is on the first Red list and highlite and press set, in the following list is clear all flash settings, if you have already done this sorry

Alan

Comment

That could do it nat go to clear all flash settings and it will clear any errors. I think .i will have a read through my 565 manual as well see if I spot anything

Comment

Thanks folks. Will try your suggestions out.

Comment

Nat just read the manual through page 44 and 53 re flash exposure compensation ,to increase flash power it (comp) seems you have to push the right hand button on the centre command thingymugjig.i will try on mine and see if it works.
                              Yep that's the one you silly old sod LOL ,when you press the right hand control dial button the exposure goes up in third of a stop increments up to + 2 e.v and the left hand one takes it down again .its actually shows up on the rear screen but faintly .idealy it needs to be reset to zero and power increased /decreased as needed .

You have probably touched the button without realising in the past
                              Last edited by the black fox; 14-01-2016, 11:39.

Comment

Working...
                              X