Lanscapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lanscapes

What are the best tips for making great landscape photo's. My latets photo's are a bit out of focus because I apertures like 2.8 and 4.0.

1. Apertures from f/8 and further
    3. A great landscape ;-)
    2. Wide angle
    3. ?
    4. etc...

What iare the tips from the best (you guys)...

Thanks
    With kind regards,
    Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Re: Lanscapes

I wouldn't say there are any hard rules it depends on the shot and the image your after - but at I would say most of my landscapes are around F8 - the lens can be anything from ultra wide to zoom

The real trick is to slow down and think before you press the button
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Hi! Friso, I am still learning the ropes about landscape photography and I think using f8 or above to f11 will get you some good pictures. Also watch the horizons/horizontals. Ian is an expert in this area and his advice is always good.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Fr1so - if you have an Android device of some sort, I suggest you install one of the depth of field calculating apps (DOF Calculator or HyperfocalPro for instance) and use that to give you data to set the camera.

For instance, on a 70D, with lens at 24mm and f2.8, the hyperfocal distance is around 11 metres. So if you focus on a relatively near object (20 metres away for example) and then, keeping the button half-pressed, recompose your shot to the wonderful landscape you wish to capture, everything from 7 metres to infinity should be in acceptable focus.
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

When I was searching on Google, I found thus usefull website:
          With kind regards,
          Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

Comment

I bought a Kindle book "Creative Landscape Photography Using the Pyramid Method" from Amazon (don't have a Kindle, read it on my PC) It's a good buy for only £2.99, takes you through a logical process which should improve results. It made me think about things, when I get some spare time I'll actually try to put the ideas into practice!
            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
              I bought a Kindle book "Creative Landscape Photography Using the Pyramid Method" from Amazon (don't have a Kindle, read it on my PC) It's a good buy for only £2.99, takes you through a logical process which should improve results. It made me think about things, when I get some spare time I'll actually try to put the ideas into practice!
              Ooh? THanks!
              With kind regards,
              Friso

Comment

The best tip I can give is to use the lighting to your advantage. Late evening or early morning light will transform almost any landscape image to another level.
                Kit wise .wide angle and long focal length both make for great landscapes ,try them both when your out ,makes you think outside the box a bit.
                For me f8 if it's very low light but I tend to stay around f11.again try the same shot at different apertures and see how they come out. Just my humble opinion mate hope this helps

Comment

Generally I use an aperture between f11-f16, maybe a little lower at times.
                  Horizon is key, and as has been said make sure it's level.
                  Having some kind of foreground interest can help.
                  Lens choice can be subjective, sometimes a wide angle is good, others a telephoto can give a really great result.
                  Try and keep ISO low for the least noise.
                  Focus about a third of the way into the image if possible.

That's a few of my thoughts for what they are worth.
                  Hope they help.
                  Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    Lens choice can be subjective, sometimes a wide angle is good, others a telephoto can give a really great result.

Hope they help.
                    The only thing I can add to Andy's comment is this:

1: Have a tri-pod with you as Andy said you want a low ISO. I try to keep it around 100. So at f11, you will need a tri-pod in evening light.

2. F/16 to f/22 if you are looking to create the star effect

Tom

Comment

Excellent advice from the others, not much more to add other than, look out for a great sky. Always brings a shot to life in my view
                      Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by Dave s View Post
                        The best tip I can give is to use the lighting to your advantage. Late evening or early morning light will transform almost any landscape image to another level.
                        Kit wise .wide angle and long focal length both make for great landscapes ,try them both when your out ,makes you think outside the box a bit.
                        For me f8 if it's very low light but I tend to stay around f11.again try the same shot at different apertures and see how they come out. Just my humble opinion mate hope this helps
                        Thanks for the tips!
                        With kind regards,
                        Friso

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post

Hope they help.
                          I have read something on a website on focussing on 1/3 of the view.
                          With kind regards,
                          Friso

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
                            I have read something on a website on focussing on 1/3 of the view.
                            My understanding is that with the way optics work and functions such as depth of field and hyper focal distance this helps give maximum depth of field to the images.
                            Might have that slightly wrong, but I think that's the essence of it.
                            Andy
                            Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

personally I think so long as your closing to F8 or more I really dont think at this stage you should be worrying about hyper focal distance, not unless your looking to get a photo with maximum focus.Right now its about getting the basics then consider throwing in other types of landscape techniques
                              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                              X