Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge 113 - National Characteristics

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
    Oh dear; no entries over the weekend. Surely there's more than just a couple of us that want to keep this thing going?
    Please accept my apologies young man, life is a bit 'rubbish' at the moment and I don't think I have even seen my camera for over a month. YES we need to keep this going, I will be back with my mediocre entries once we have got a grip of every thing once again.

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

I was going to use discarded strong drink containers, cigarette ends, chewing gum etc.

Here I give you my offering of a National Identity.

Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Have not been round much, but here is my go.
        Low Down

Low Down by David Ore, on Flickr

Comment

OK, so finally we limped to 5 entries. Well, it could have been worse, over the years this has been running we have had a few times when we have only had 3, but for a while I thought this would be the first ever head to head between just 2. I really hope we can get back up to the heady heights of double figure entries soon. By the way, the most ever was 28 entries, way back in Challenge 54. But anyway, back to this one…

Slow Ride Home by Tigger.
          Exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of when I set the challenge, the encapsulation of a life style. Well placed in the frame, and all the elements well composed, the downcast horse, the cheery driver, the uninterested accomplice. Great sky, great detail in the verge (has that classic Tigger Aurora feel). Just one really really picky thing, the horse’s shadow being ever so slightly clipped, another millimetre or two would be perfect…

Chinese New Year by Chris J.
          Great vibrancy and colour and you have found an excellent high angle. You have caught a lovely symmetrical shape in the banners and frozen the action beautifully. Great to have also caught the dancer’s smiling face and her blurred left hand contrasts really well with the stillness of the ends of the banners. Thanks for adding in the ‘Welsh’ connection, clearly not visible from the photo but a fun spin on the image that made me smile.

Don’t Worry, Be Happy by lunarbo.
          A lovely image, again it is wonderfully evocative of the Caribbean and sums up a whole life style. It makes me want to down a couple of vodkas on a beach somewhere myself and hear his life story, I suspect once he gets started that’ll be it until sun down. Yes, rum might have been perfect (but are we sure it isn’t some moonshine in the bottle?). Beautifully lit and detailed with catch lights and well positioned against the backdrop of the shack.

English Tea by ST-EOS.
          Oh how perfectly English. An excellent arrangement of a classic cream tea. I hope you enjoyed eating it as much as I liked looking at it. Nice depth of field with the scones centre stage and the teapot just slightly out of focus. The flash has added a lovely sparkle to the jam and crockery. If I was being really picky (and I am having to be because I’m struggling to pick a winner) for me it is a tiny bit dark overall, but again it is exactly the sort of image I had hoped for. As an aside, there is a standing joke in my office about the whole cream or jam on top question, so great touch to see that you have dodged it by including both.

Low Down by David61.
          I love a crocus, and they are definitely an iconic flower in many countries. Great low position adds real interest to the shot, and the flopped one tells a much more interesting story than if it had been a ‘perfect’ clump. I like how you have framed the image by cropping to have matching out of focus tree trunks on each side and the sloping land adds drama to what is otherwise a very quiet image. I also like the gone-over daffodils in shot that add another point of interest and also demonstrate the cycle of flowering.

So to the results. I mentioned above that I was struggling to pick a winner as they each have something to commend them, but based on the order that my eye wants to linger over them, I have come up with the following:
          3rd: Chinese New Year by Chris J
          2nd: Don't Worry, Be Happy by lunarbo
          1st: Slow Ride Home by Tigger

So, over to you, Ian. Hope you get more entries than me...
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks Alex for running the challenge and having the stress of the slow start in entries. Congratulations to those placed, well done

PS. Alex I'm glad you noticed my deliberate transposition of the jam and cream, I did enjoy them regardless of how they were constructed
            Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
              As an aside, there is a standing joke in my office about the whole cream or jam on top question, so great touch to see that you have dodged it by including both.
              Are you seriously suggesting that there are people who are so foolish as to not always have both jam & cream?
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Congratulations on a great image, Tigger. It was always going to be a hard act to follow.

Thanks Alex for comments & judging. I'm with the (seeming) minority that would be very sad to see the challenge fade away but it is hard to understand why entries are now single figures, I'd have thought that the forum would rise to the challenge !

I am perplexed.................mind you I'm also perplexed (nay, SHOCKED) as to how anyone could put the jam ON TOP of the cream !!!
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

A worthy winner Tig. I'm glad I didn't have to choose between them! Well done Alex for setting the challenge.

Need to get myself in gear to take part in the next one......
                  Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                  Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post

I am perplexed.................mind you I'm also perplexed (nay, SHOCKED) as to how anyone could put the jam ON TOP of the cream !!!
                    No it's something to do with the difference between the way cream teas are produced in Devon and Cornwall. It seems there's a bit of a feud going on about it I think Devon Cream Teas are served with the jam on top [emoji86][emoji85][emoji87]
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Very well done on a great shot and win Ian. I am hoping to join in more, so I can learn.

Comment

Thanks, Alex - well judged
                        On the periphery of the challenge, yes, it should be rum not vodka, and the best way to enjoy scones is to eat the mixture raw....
                        Looking forward to the next challenge - do let's keep it going.
                        Cheers, Chris.
                        Just chuggin' along.

Comment

thanks to Bo for sending me a PM about this as I was away for a couple of days in hospital so missed the result

many thanks, cheers Alex and the kind comments

OK I'll get my thinking hat on and post something up
                          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                            No it's something to do with the difference between the way cream teas are produced in Devon and Cornwall. It seems there's a bit of a feud going on about it I think Devon Cream Teas are served with the jam on top [emoji86][emoji85][emoji87]
                            Hadn't noticed the jam/cream 'thing', very subtle. As a Cornwall fan, I'm a cream on top advocate.
                            Patrick

Find me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136664727@N04/

Comment

Working...
                            X