Thought for today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought for today.

At what point does a photograph become a processed image?
    Definition of a photograph -a picture made using a camera, in which an image is focused on to light-sensitive material and then made visible and permanent by chemical treatment, or stored digitally.
    Malcolm.
    760D
    EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
    Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
    EF 70-300 IS USM
    Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
    YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Re: Thought for today.

Why do you ask ? I suppose if you are shooting jpeg, then as soon as it is saved to the camera memory card as the raw data has been processed by the camera

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

If processing is the manipulation of an image in some form or another then photographs are 'processed' even before they are taken. The photographer may decide to include a car in his/her landscape shot or move to another position to exclude it. I'm told the great Ansel Adams sometimes had helpers fell the odd tree or two to 'improve' his landscape shots. That makes cloning seem a lot more ecologically friendly !
      Once the picture is taken of course it is processed in some form or other before we can view it.
      Another point - let's face it, we don't 'see' the world outside as it really is as the visual signal which leaves the photo sensitive receptors in our retina is processed to enhance edges and negate inconsistency even before the neural signal has left the eye. Once into the brain proper even more extensive processing takes place so we end up 'perceiving' what the real world represents rather than just the 'seeing' of it.
      So even the act of viewing a photograph involves some form of processing.
      To ask what an unprocessed photograph looks like is is similar to asking what is the real world like - or indeed what is reality.
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by malgpz900 View Post
        At what point does a photograph become a processed image?
        Definition of a photograph -a picture made using a camera, in which an image is focused on to light-sensitive material and then made visible and permanent by chemical treatment, or stored digitally.
        Malcolm.
        At that moment you alter something in the original photo.
        With kind regards,
        Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Even in the "old days", an image was manipulated in the darkroom to the eye of the person processing it. It's just that we have more options more readily available to us today. So by the premise that it is as soon as you alter the original image, they have all been altered from the beginning of photography.

Garry
          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Interesting.
            760D
            EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
            Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
            EF 70-300 IS USM
            Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
            YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Comment

If you shoot jpeg, which setting to you choose? Natural, intense? if you move of the auto settings, which aperture, speed and ISO settings do you choose? If you use anything other than a 50mm lens (on FF) what focal length are you choosing? All of these are artistic choices. And then in the processing, watch Ansel Adams talk about printing here: http://digital-photography-school.co...y-ansel-adams/. As a very young B&W photographer in the darkroom I used to crop, dodge, burn, push and pull. The fact that I can do it now on my computer is neither here nor there. I took some photographs of my partner yesterday and cloned out some distracting background simply because that was easier to do than to clear the background itself.

In essence a camera takes a processed image based either on the interpretation of an engineer in a Canon (or I believe there are other manufacturers as well) factory, or based on your interpretation. Why should the engineer's choice of settings be superior to yours when he can't even see what you are photographing.

Just a few random thoughts in answer!

Richard
              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

i fully agree with richard on this having been there and done that myself ,the darkroom under the stairs was a delight to use ,o god i miss the smell of fixer ,and cloning out was always a part of photography as obtaining a dust free negative was often a hit and miss you usually managed to always damage your best shot if i recall

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  i fully agree with richard on this having been there and done that myself ,the darkroom under the stairs was a delight to use ,o god i miss the smell of fixer ,and cloning out was always a part of photography as obtaining a dust free negative was often a hit and miss you usually managed to always damage your best shot if i recall
                  Lol - absolutely right!
                  Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Working...
                  X