Why no GPS in new Canon 80D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no GPS in new Canon 80D

In reading the specs for the new EOS 80D camera I was amazed to find that it doesn't have inbuilt GPS. How can anyone omit such a useful feature in this day and age. Just about every other camera from mid range compacts to cheap point and shoots to mobile phone cameras come standard with in built GPS and geotagging. This being the case why does Canon omit such a useful feature from a high end SLR camera? I don't travel a lot, but when I do, I find this a very, very useful feature. I know the 80D can be used with the GP-E2 GPS receiver. I use one of these with my 7D and find it a very clumsy and awkward to use piece of equipment.

Re: Why no GPS in new Canon 80D

I have the opposite view. I turned the GPS off as soon as I got my 7D2 as it's not a feature I see a use for, particularly as it's a bit of a battery hog...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

the places i go i tend to like to keep q/t if someone could log my position the next time i went i would be fighting for a parking space .i already have a local wildlife tog that stalks me picking up on different aspects to try and find my locations .so unless its a public reserve etc i don't even tag my location .
      in that scenario gps is a big NO-NO

Comment

I suspect Canon will have designed the 80D to a price point which has excluded the GPS functionality. As you have already allude to Canon have the GPE2 receiver, I suspect Canon hope that you would buy it and the 80D.
        However it is an expensive add on, plus the GPS functionality available on camera phones can be used to capture the GPS information. You could take an image with your phone and use it to synchronise it in metadata with those images you made with the camera. Not ideal but it is possible.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
          I have the opposite view. I turned the GPS off as soon as I got my 7D2 as it's not a feature I see a use for, particularly as it's a bit of a battery hog...
          That's my view also. Personally I use my iphone for location. Take a shot when there and then use that (if you wish) to enter details within LR later.
          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
            I suspect Canon will have designed the 80D to a price point which has excluded the GPS functionality. As you have already allude to Canon have the GPE2 receiver, I suspect Canon hope that you would buy it and the 80D.
            My thoughts too.
            I've never missed having GPS functionality, if I want to add location details I can tag it in Lightroom.
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              My thoughts too.
              I've never missed having GPS functionality, if I want to add location details I can tag it in Lightroom.
              Me too - there is always the mobile if needed ...
              ef-r

Comment

Indeed. Battery life is more important to me.

Comment

Working...
                X