Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Quick release' strap?

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
    Sounds sensible - I'm off to Russia in a few months time - might take up your advice. Any wrist straps in particular you could recommend ?
    James
    I use this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o06_s00 -

cheap and pulls tight against your wrist and you can even let the camera swing just from the strap - means if someone knocks it it wont hit the floor or as I said bump and theft..Nice thing is with the connection one click and its off so can release the camera but keep the strap on your wrist
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I also use Optech!
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        I use this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o06_s00 -

cheap and pulls tight against your wrist and you can even let the camera swing just from the strap - means if someone knocks it it wont hit the floor or as I said bump and theft..Nice thing is with the connection one click and its off so can release the camera but keep the strap on your wrist
        Many thanks for that info
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          I use OP/TECH wrist and shoulder strap - its very good and has a very strong clip to join either a shoulder or wrist. Most of the time I use the wrist strap and you can tighten it against your wrist so that you won't drop or have some try to snatch the camera

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o06_s00
          Second what Ian said. The OpTech is a brilliant solution. I have regularly had my body and lens attached all day, with no ill effects. Last year I had my body with 100-400 attached, on my shoulder all day, at the British GP. Was very comfortable. It also seems very ergonomic, sitting just at my right hand, ready for action! There are many options. I have mine setup so that there is a clip on the lens (heavier lenses), and on the body, meaning the strap is taking the weight of the lens rather than the body taking the weight.

Good luck,

Garry
          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I'm a bit confused by these straps. As far as I can see the long shoulder straps mean the camera is hanging down around the hip. Doesn't that mean that as you walk around it bangs into your hip all the time? And with the lens (if a longish one) hitting your thigh at every step?
            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
              Doesn't that mean that as you walk around it bangs into your hip all the time? And with the lens (if a longish one) hitting your thigh at every step?
              Nope! The way I have mine set up, my hand is on the body pretty much all the time, instinctively. This has the effect of steadying any movement. I also have a clip on the camera, and a clip attached to the belt hook of my trousers. This keeps the camera safe when I am climbing over stiles or whatever when out and about. These clips are released when I am shooting. I find it infinitely more comfortable than having my camera sticking out from my chest all day, and hanging round my neck.

Here is a thread from a question I asked about this very subject a year or so ago. Scroll through it and you'll see a pic of how I was shown by Steve (S-J-P) the way he uses his. I adopted a very similar way.

Hope this helps!

Garry

Comment

yep, if I'm using the strap thats just how I use mine, although with my interest I tend to always have mine in my hand
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give one of the OpTech ones a try, not too much of an investment anyway.
                  But does anyone know the difference (if any) between :

OP/TECH Super Classic Strap Pro Loop
                  OP/TECH Pro Loop Strap
                  OP/TECH Super Classic Strap

They are all on Amazon under these names at almost the same price but I'm struggling to see how they vary, or if they're all the same thing.

Also, there are various recommended accessories particularly Extensions XL systems connectors and Secure Its System Connectors. Any comments on the utility of these or other add-ons?

Apologies if this has all been answered before.
                  EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give one of the OpTech ones a try, not too much of an investment anyway.
                    But does anyone know the difference (if any) between :

OP/TECH Super Classic Strap Pro Loop
                    OP/TECH Pro Loop Strap
                    OP/TECH Super Classic Strap

They are all on Amazon under these names at almost the same price but I'm struggling to see how they vary, or if they're all the same thing.

Also, there are various recommended accessories particularly Extensions XL systems connectors and Secure Its System Connectors. Any comments on the utility of these or other add-ons?

Apologies if this has all been answered before.
                    I have the Utility strap which is this one with several of these loops to give me options to attach lenses etc, and to enable me to change the strap on my other body as required really easily.

As far as I can see, all the straps you have listed (which I don't have first hand knowledge of) are variations of the traditional type, which have the camera static on the strap, tied to the original camera loop points. When you grab the camera for the shot, the whole strap slides round your neck. The utility strap that I have, allows the camera to slide on up the strap, while maintaining the position of the shoulder pad in one place. Once the perfect shot is taken (tongue firmly in cheek) the camera slides back down comfortably to your chosen height. The shoulder pad hasn't moved, so it is still in the correct position. Have a look at the images on the amazon link to get a clearer idea of what I mean.

Regarding the extensions, I bought uni loops and that was it. The "secure its" are to stop accidentally opening the plastic catches. Honestly, I don't think they are required. The clips are so well made. I have my 1dsii and 70-200f4L attached to mine, and feel completely confident in the catches.

Feel free to ask any more questions, and I will try to answer if I can. As you may be able to tell, I truly love this strap! One of the best investments in gear that I've made so far.

Comment

Definitely Black Rapid I tend to use larger lens and also have binoculars as well so they work very well for what I do which is bird watching and photography together.
                      :- Mike

7D Mk II, EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM / EF-S 10-22 USM/ EF 70-200mm f2.8 L USM/ EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS II USM / EF 100 f2.8 L Macro IS USM / Speedlight 430 EXIII-RT / Sigma Ring Flash EM-140DG

Comment

Thanks all.
                        Patrick

Find me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136664727@N04/

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I see the difference now. The Sling it is then. Great advice as always.

Richard

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I see the difference now. The Sling it is then. Great advice as always.

Richard
                            If it's my post you're referring to Richard, you're welcome. I got mine direct from Camera King. No complaints whatsoever,

Garry

Comment

Oops, sorry, still getting used to names.
                              Thanks Garry!!!!

Richard

Comment

Oops, sorry, still getting used to names.
                                Thanks Garry!!!!

Richard
                                No worries!

Comment

Working...
                                X