Advice on getting the Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on getting the Shot

I need some advice please. The shot that I put in for you to look at explains my mistakes. How and what settings should I use to freeze our little Jack Chi, as every shot I get of her as she runs to me is not great. Thanks.

Tongues away Boys by David Ore, on Flickr
    Last edited by Dave61; 29-02-2016, 20:07.

Re: Advice on getting the Shot

Dave looking at the exif of this image on Flickr you are using a focus mode of "one shot AF" with the camera in auto mode, you may be better to use AI Servo mode (continuous focus mode) and go for a faster shutter speed. You may also find it useful to enable BBF (back button focus).
    I'm sure others with more experience than me will come along and add to my thoughts
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I would say your first mistake is shooting in Auto - Put the camera into TV and get your speed to 1/500 - 1/1000 that should be fast enough the stop Jack in flow :)
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Am sure some better Togs will come along but I would start by saying that your Speed is far too low at 1/200th, you need to change to TV not AV and set speed at 1/1000 or higher if possible, depends on the amount of light of course and how you camera handles higher ISO settings. I note also you are using Single Shot shooting, that would be OK if your subject was sat still posing but you need AI Servo for moving targets.

Hope that helps

Regards Paul

Comment

The only thing that I can add is that you should use shutter priority (TV) and the shutter speed should be set equal to or greater than the focal length of the lens you are using.

Tom

Comment

i,ll go the other way ,its two things with shots like this freezing the action and depth of field ,so set your 70d to a/v mode and set the aperture to at least f8 depending on lens ,take a look through the viewfinder and ensure that your shutter speed doubles the focal length of your lens i.e a 400mm lens needs 1/800th sec ,if its below this increase iso ,you can get rid of noise you can't make a soft shot sharp .
            once you have that correct set to high burst speed ,and ai servo ,then set you focus points to either the centre block or all three depending on the amount of dogs .
            its no good trying for iffy shots on dull days either as there no sparkle to it ,also try to ensure the sun is behind you ,the 70d is a fast responsive camera and will cope but the end result depends on you pressing the button at the moment focus locks on.
            something like this .
            the wind beneath my paws by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Comment

Thank you all very much, I have a lot to learn now I have the 70D, the lens I use the most in the park with Susie is the 18-135mm. That`s a great shot too Jeff.
              Last edited by Dave61; 25-02-2016, 19:43.

Comment

If I may suggest a different approach. Use Manual mode, with auto ISO. Set Shutter speed at around 1/800 and stop your lens down a shade from wide open. As others have said, go with AI Servo mode, with back button focus and high-speed on the frame rate. You can lock on the dog and take bursts of shots that way while keeping the focus locked.

This is one of mine, although I ignored my own advice on shutter speed:

I'm coming to get you by Andy Mulhearn, on Flickr
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Cracking shot there Andy

Regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                    If I may suggest a different approach. Use Manual mode, with auto ISO. Set Shutter speed at around 1/800 and stop your lens down a shade from wide open. As others have said, go with AI Servo mode, with back button focus and high-speed on the frame rate. You can lock on the dog and take bursts of shots that way while keeping the focus locked.

This is one of mine, although I ignored my own advice on shutter speed:

I'm coming to get you by Andy Mulhearn, on Flickr
                    Exactly what I was going to suggest too. Have used this method in the past.
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Great shot. This is my best ever of Susie, but it was taken with the 50mm compact macro lens on.

Look daddy no rain by David Ore, on Flickr

Comment

All good advice, the tighter aperture can definitely help if you have enough light to support it as the dog will often run faster than the af can keep up. Dogs running towards you 'can' be sharp at 1/500 and I would treat that as a minimum to aim for
                        Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                            Pretty much perfect advice. The only thing I could suggest to add to that is to get a bigger, slower dog!
                            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

There you go a few different ways to achieve the same end result ,experiment and go with whatever your comfortable using

Comment

Working...
                              X