1D iv so far.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1D iv so far.............

With the new 1Dxii out I figured a body like this will now become a bit more affordable and might be on peoples radar, here's my thoughts on it so far.
    I took quite a leap up from a 550d to this body, the ability of the 1d has certainly tested my ability to take in so much information and retain it.
    Not talking about my abilities(or not) with post processing here, just the body and how I think it suits me.
    Firstly it's not that light and on walks that might be as long as 10 miles, I certainly know I've got it, hook it up to the 100-400l lens and it is a fair old weight, no need for gym membership, this gives you a work out. I like to take a variety of images from macro to long distance night sky shots and this copes with everything I have thrown at it. Minus temperatures don't phase it and it's ability to function in some pretty shocking light levels are really pleasing for me. The camera is very solidly made and has a feeling of indestructibility about it, still use the 550d when my wife's not wanting it, but less and less now as the 1d has really become a part of my experience of a day out. All the controls are well placed and I can't think of anything I would wish moved, the large screen gives you a great image and the information on it tells me most of what I need to know. The RAW images produced are full of information that I often didn't notice when taking the shot and if and when I get the processing sorted, I am confident that this body will remain with me, can't think of any reason why I would need to replace it.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Re: 1D iv so far.............

it was the weight that stopped me considering one - its nearly double the weight of the 5D !!! crazy for landscape / city work
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I didn't really compare it against others for weight Ian, went purely on the spec for what I wanted it to do, so far it's delivering on all fronts.
      Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

its a stunning camera and it was the fact the test shots I saw at 25k are amazing, but doubling in weight NO thanks, plus I don't need the 16fps

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I don't know if you use a battery grip on your 5D Ian(like me).
          If so you'll be surprised how well the 1D sits in the hand more comfortable and well balance with lenses attached than the 5D I don't think the weight was ever an issue for me maybe the physical size of the 1D cameras is a slight downer but never the weight.

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I've never used a battery grip Paul as I've found the 5D batteries last all day including doing editing during coffee / wine :O) breaks

I could imagine with a grip its not far off the same size / weight its just something I've never felt a need to use

Comment

I was just surprised you would have a problem with a camera's weight, as I'm sure you must have one of those toned beach bodies

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                I was just surprised you would have a problem with a camera's weight, as I'm sure you must have one of those toned beach bodies

Paul
                I do, but I don't want a huge camera spoiling it for the ladies when I'm walking around with my ripped tshirt showing my pecs off ....

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                  I don't want a huge camera spoiling it for the ladies when I'm walking around ...
                  You could always tuck down your trousers - that might get their interest!
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                    You could always tuck down your trousers - that might get their interest!
                    no space

Comment

Not with your flash gun down there
                      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I know exactly how you feel, the 1D has all you need and not a lot that you don't.
                        They are solidly built, to last, are perfectly balanced with longer lenses, focus and shoot as fast as needed, have excellent battery life, are totally customisable, produce extremely detailed images from the APSH sensor and are weather proofed. You know the camera is always up to the task and they are ideally suited to sports or wildlife pics, they are not compact, nor discreet but they work.
                        To my mind they are the perfect compromise between the reach of crop cameras and the quality of full frame, they are the optimum!
                        Best of luck with your 1D and resign yourself to the fact that virtually all other cameras will appear 'lightweight' and low-budget in your hands from now on!

Comment

Wish I could find a 1d4 at a good price ,should have gone for one when the 7d2 came out ,unfortunately a lot of people swapped back to there trusted mk4 bodies very quickly indeed and good ones are like gold dust and still fetching nearly 2k .
                          Hopefully they will drop in price soon

Comment

It is the size and weight that excluded the 1D series from my wish list, and the fact that as a hobby photographer, I could never justify the cost.

There is no doubt that it is the 'creme de la creme' (I think that's how it's spelt, lol) of DSLR' s, but as has already been said, while it has a lot of what I need, it also offers a lot of what I don't. A bit like Photoshop CS6.

I wanted to go from a 'crop senor' (7D), to a full-frame, and the 5D3 offered everything I needed, and more, while not being too heavy and bulky to carry around. It came with a battery grip, which I sold straight away, as I saw no point in adding extra weight. Like Ian, I have never found battery life an issue, and have never had to swap to the spare battery, while out and about using the camera with AF and IS lenses.

However, each to his own, and as long as what we have meets our needs, and we enjoy using it, that's all that matters.

After all, its not the camera that creates a great shot, but the person behind the lens, and there are some great togs on this forum, producing some excellent work with modest equipment.

Dave
                            Last edited by Dave_S; 05-03-2016, 11:59.
                            Dave

Comment

Must admit I was rather pleased to find mine for £1800 last year with only 8,500 actuations, boxed and unmarked, which is why I have my 1D3 for sale, this being the camera that at the time I thought was all I should ever need. It is still a super camera, lacking probably only the highest iso ability of the 1D4 and allowing marginally less cropping, but for less than £600 is probably a better camera than the original 7D and still a true bargain
                              I have looked at cost of shutter replacement on one of these 1D's and it is I seem to recall about £400, so it might be worth buying a well used example if you find one at the right price and hoping for the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X