Canon A1 shutter sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon A1 shutter sound

I just put a new battery in my Canon A1 (last used c. 1995) and it seems okay, although the shutter does have a loud metallic twang. That might improve with use, but I did wonder if anyone had an A1 and could say what the shutter should sound like?

Re: Canon A1 shutter sound

If I remember rightly there was a lube issue that cures it.

Here you go

To all forum users We’re very sorry to have to inform you that we are no longer able to continue running the AP forums. AP has launched a new and improved website that offers a better layout, and enhanced functionality. However, the technology behind the platform we are using is, unfortunately, incompatible with the forum. […]

The movie that also includes before and after sounds

The repair manual can be found herehttp://jameskbeard.com/Photography/LegacyCanonManuals.html#RepairA

A fellow A1 owner :)
    Last edited by TonyT; 07-03-2016, 20:48.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

That's just excellent... many thanks!

Comment

Sounds like "Canon Cough", seems to affect the A series but is easily cured by DIY (if you dare) or a professional CLA if you don't want to risk your precious camera. I had mine done professionally and had the light seals renewed at the same time.

Comment

Don't forget; you not only have the shutter sound but the mirror flapping up and down. It's many years since I owned a Canon A1. What a terrific piece of kit in its day. I well remember drooling over one until I could afford it. It was later replaced by a T90 which was also joined a little later by an F1n with power winder and auto aperture prism head. This camera could even operate without a battery, although you only had the one shutter speed of 1/90th sec.

Comment

Working...
          X