• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 1200d not taking pictures when connected to speedlight flash!! Help

Hello

I have a Canon1200D

Neewer NW561

FC-16 2.4Ghz 3 IN 1 Wireless Trigger.

This kit is all new and I started with some flower work in bright conditions and all seemed fine and then the camera stopped taking the photo. The flash still fires but not shutter. I turned the camera on and off and it seemed to work for one shot and then nothing.

Last night in low light I tried some close up work, hanging from tripod. Once again The camera would not take picture. I tried in MF and all different ISO and exposure. Tried different shutter speeds too. Again the flash fires but no picture!!!

Using Manual mode on flash, tried multimode and it took the first picture, but then nothing after that!

I disconnect the speedlight and wireless transponder and straight away the camera worked standalone in low light, with or without the on flash.

Please help, its very frustrating!

Re: Canon 1200d not taking pictures when connected to speedlight flash!! Help

Welcome to the forum.

are you shooting in Live View?
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

What mode on the camera are you shooting on. Usually trying to track down the issue is a question of working through and changing one variable at a time.

I suggest initially putting the flash on camera to see if the flash fires and you get an image in all modes. Then move on to taking it off camera and seeing if you can get the flash to fire using the trigger if it has a test function. You may also wish to make sure the flash and trigger have nice fresh batteries as this can sometimes be an issue

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
        Welcome to the forum.

are you shooting in Live View?
        I have tried Live view and through the finder

Comment

You are right I need to try flash on the camera without the wireless. How long should the batteries last, I am using Energizer 2000 rechargeable. It could be the batteries, although the flash still fires, but was working fine for the fist 20 exposures.

Comment

I think you might find that is your problem ,normal AA batteries I.e duracells etc are 1.5 volts nominal but actually are higher than that when new ,depending on freshness .
            However re-chargeable batteries be it ni.cad or nihms or li.ons are rated at 1.2v nominal ,so as you can see its lower than needed to start ,take into account your not using a canon flashgun either this will most likely be the cause

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
              I think you might find that is your problem ,normal AA batteries I.e duracells etc are 1.5 volts nominal but actually are higher than that when new ,depending on freshness .
              However re-chargeable batteries be it ni.cad or nihms or li.ons are rated at 1.2v nominal ,so as you can see its lower than needed to start ,take into account your not using a canon flashgun either this will most likely be the cause
              I use rechargeable energizer, eneloop and duracells (in groups of the same make only) in my Yongnuo Speedlights and have never had this problem. I also find that the eneloops have the fastest refresh rate, with next to no recycle time in the first 45 or so shots, and even after that, the recycle time is excellent. I have tried non rechargeable batteries, but they hardly have enough power to recycle mostly. Definitely rechargeable all the way for me
              Garry Macdonald on Flickr
              Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Turns out that I had the lead connected from the receiver to the camera! You don't require the lead. Works perfectly

Comment

Working...
                X