Which Windows should I go for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Windows should I go for?

I have got Windows Vista which I have been having for quite a good few years. I now find that many programmes have stopped supporting windows Vista and I think I must move on. I am therefore wondering whether I should go for Windows 8 or 10 without messing around any of the downloads, photographs etc I already have on my computer.

I will appreciate your good advice in due course.

Many thanks

Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Which Windows should I go for?

None of those are nice options Nat. if I had to chose between the two I'd get a Mac.

8's not great but I suspect 10 is the one you want. Just take care that the hardware you have will run it...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I guess going to Windows 10 is the most future proof option with the next long term support.
      Just check your PC spec is ok for any of the upgrades.

I'm biased though, I like my Mac and moving from Windows system years ago was a great move and one I've been pleased with.
      Andy

Comment

Another vote for Mac....and you get future operating system upgrades free...and no noticeable slowing down ...and very little virus problems - if any at all.
        Its a very intuitive system...much more user friendly than a PC and the screens are excellent...I'd recommend the 27" iMac, but 21" is more economical of course and plenty big enough.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Nat, under no circumstances go for Windows 8. It's rubbish. Windows 10 installs easily and the user interface will be familiar to you. The only issue is compatibility. If you need to buy new hardware then all bets are off an you can consider a Mac, provided you're willing to learn a slightly different way of working.
          Russell
          Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
            Windows 10 installs easily and the user interface will be familiar to you.
            Errr, the UI on Vista is nothing like the UI on 10. Totally different in fact, unless you add some third party software that resurrects the start button...
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I have Vista, W7, W8 and W10 on various machines. Yes there are differences behind the Desktop, but with the exception of W8 there is no significant issue switching between them, either for me or my non-techie wife.

The key question here is the capability (or lack) of Nat's current hardware.
              Russell
              Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

I love windows 8.1, never had an issue, it all down to personal experience and what annoys you...I tried the win 10 update on my 2 year old laptop, and it continuously crashed, my girlfriends laptop upgraded without an issue, and my work PC is windows 10 and is great...I'll "have" to windows 10 when I upgrade my laptop, I use it at work with no issues, my current laptop just doesn't like it, even though it's supposedly compatible

Comment

I have Win10 on my pc and have had no issues at all, but putting it on a Vista machine would not be the best idea I think, I have had problems over the years but they have been Dell issues which is the reason I wish I had moved to Mac, my grand children move from Vista to 10 to mac and just use what is in front of them they do not care which is the best or easiest they just use which ever machine as a tool, Oh to be young

Alan

Comment

Like others have said Nat, go Mac in an ideal world. It's so intuitive and runs like a dream.

Having said that my work tablet/laptop is Win 10 and seems to run ok
                    Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Upgraded quite a few machines (laptops/desktops) to Win 10 and had no issues. None had Windows older than 7.

Personally never had any issue with 8.1 but 10 is easier to use.

Think that a machine originally speced with Vista is likely to be either not capable of running Win 10 or running poorly. One thing to watch for is that older peripherals may not work in 10.

Also if I recall correctly there isn't an upgrade from Vista.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks folks for your good advice. I will go for Windows 10 if my hardware will take it; if not I will go for Mac as advised. I have an IT expert who will install it and any problems he will certainly advise me. Sme chap who replaced my PSU some months ago.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Windows 8.1 was perfectly fine for me and I'm very happy with Windows 10 now.
                          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

No disrespect intended Nat, but given your history with things PC and the major step change from Windows Vista to Windows 10, especially with the user interface (which I still have problems getting on with) unless your existing hardware will definitely support '10, i would suggest you have a serious look at a Mac.
                            Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Thanks Andy and Jock. Yes, you are quite right Jock about my expertise with all things IT and computer. I will go for Windows 10 unless my IT chap tells me that my present hardware will not support it.

Comment

Working...
                              X