Challenge 115 - 'Texture'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 115 - 'Texture'

The challenge starts immediately and finishes at Midnight on Saturday April 23rd, 2016. That should give everyone plenty of time to find their inspiration and to do any PP and post it up.

This Challenge is titled “Texture” in which I would like to see many and varied submissions from as many members as possible. I have tried to make it as simple as possible so it can bridge as many photographic tastes as possible.

The standard competition rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

I will do my best to give an honest assessment of every entry but please bear in mind I am not a judge and it will be my personal views only.

Now go forth and photograph. . . .

.DAVID.

Just noticed we had Textures back on 03-05-2013, hopefully enough time has past for some fresh ideas.
    Last edited by David Stallard; 03-04-2016, 16:35.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Re: Challenge 115 - 'Texture'

Mmmm, looking forward to this one! Happy shooting all!
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I'll start! Public Footpath Up Close.

TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

SWMBO is currently weaving a length of cloth from silk-mixture yarn she has dyed, to make into a jacket for an exhibition at Killerton House later this year.

Weaving by John Liddle, on Flickr
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Looking up the facade of the Tate Modern chimney at Bankside.

Tate Modern chimney facade
          by AlexR!, on Flickr
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I'll try anything once,

Ok this one is a bit out there, cropped and worked on in lightroom, detail removed in neat images to declutter the trees and take them back to basics, then ran through photoshop to play around with curves and exposure...

Last edited by TonyT; 18-04-2016, 01:02.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

It's just a kitchen sink

Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Among my late mum's cherished possessions...............

"Memories of India"

[IMG]Memories of India by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

A whole six entries - uhuh!!!
                  Thank you guys, kinda hoped for a few more but I guess it was too difficult a subject for most

Wayne Els - like this a lot, a great mix of textures, lost a little clarity / sharpness bottom right of the image but that's just nitpicking.

John Liddle - pure texture, it reminds me of the old mohair jumpers I used to wear as an early punk, apart from the colour's, making me itch just thinking about them. Top edge in particular is a little noisy, maybe a tiny too far with the sharpen slider.

AlexR! - this is more of what I was expecting, solid texture with an abstract view / angle, works really well, very central and almost too perfect on the vertical.

TonyT - I can sort of see where you are coming from but for me it's just a little too over processed and too far away to really get the 'feel' (sorry)

ST-EOS - works very well, been looking on and off for day's and for the life of me I can't figure out how / where this is a kitchen sink. Great texture though I can almost feel the leather type grooves.

lunarbo - there are lot's of different materials / textures in this one, from the table cloth through to the bone / ivory necklace, took a little while to 'get' the theme but makes sense now.

Tricky to judge as always but here are my personal favourite top three. Keep changing my mind and at one point most were on top, I had to rope Cory in for a second opinion and we eventually agreed on:

#1 John Liddle - ticks all the boxes and as it brought back such vivid memories it had to be top.

#2 Wayne Els - if I could have done a joint first then I would.

#3 ST-EOS - still intrigues me but the 'feel' is there for sure.

Thank you again to those that took the time to enter, over to John for the next one - hopefully we can get into double figures for the entries this time ehh

.DAVID.
                  Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Oh gosh! - I was not expecting that. Big thanks to David for setting and judging the task, congratulations to Wayne & Peter and well done to the other entrants.

Being a bear of very little brain, you will have to give me a day or so to get the little grey cells moving before I can get back to you with the next challenge.
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks to David for running this challenge, Johns image was always my personal choice and favourite to be judged the winner.
                      Well done everyone who took the time to enter [emoji106]

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post

ST-EOS - works very well, been looking on and off for day's and for the life of me I can't figure out how / where this is a kitchen sink. Great texture though I can almost feel the leather type grooves.

#3 ST-EOS - still intrigues me but the 'feel' is there for sure.

.DAVID.
                        David I hope this you figure out how its a sink, maybe I should have called it a draining board

Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

David, thanks for a great subject that I, for one, enjoyed; shame more didn't. But it shouldn't have been too difficult... as you noted, it had been before, back in Challenge 68, when it garnered 20 entries. Still, hopefully more next time.
                          Thanks for your kind comments on my effort, and a well chosen winner. Well done John, looking forward to the next one.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

David- thanks for setting & judging an interesting subject that had me looking anew at objects around me .... including my kitchen sink when I saw Peter's entry.
                            I did like John's rather tickly entry so well done to you sir and we look forward to the next topic.
                            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                            X