1200D settings

Hello ,

Help with setting please.

Manual Mode:

Should I use Auto Picture Style?

Should I use Auto Lighting Optimizer?

What Metering Mode?

MENUS:

Peripheril Illumin, correct. Enable or Disable?

AF Method = FlexizoneAF ? Should I use this mode

Feature guide?

Exp sim on the display bottom left ?

Thanks You

Re: 1200D settings

I don't know anything about the 1200D specifically but most of the settings you mention are only applied to the jpeg images so better to shoot RAW and take control in post processing

In regard to Af, if you use anything other than single point autofocus the camera will always focus on the nearest object which may not be where you want it so single point is best

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by critterchum View Post
      Hello ,

Help with setting please.

Manual Mode:

Should I use Auto Picture Style?
      Since you are trying to take personal control of the camera I would say no... if you are using JPEG output select a particular style, eg Landscape, and stick with it - that way you will get an acceptably consistent result shot to shot.

Should I use Auto Lighting Optimizer?
      Difficult to say - personally on the only cameras I possess that have it I turned it off. I couldn't see that it did much of use and it appeared to lose an ISO setting at the top of the range.

What Metering Mode?
      I suggest starting with evaluative until you get used manual control before trying options. My normal metering for manual mode is either spot (preferably) or partial (if spot not available) as I often shoot in tricky light and this allows me to assess the highlights and shadows independently before deciding on my settings.

MENUS:

Peripheril Illumin, correct. Enable or Disable?
      Leave it on, what it does is automatically correct for any vignetting in lenses that offer the option.

AF Method = FlexizoneAF ? Should I use this mode
      Not sure what this is but my normal technique regardless of mode is to use single point AF unless I am tracking a moving subject in continuous AF. Beyond that I distrust auto-AF modes as they can't be relied on to focus on the correct part of the scene.

Feature guide?
      I suspect this is the help system that explains the various feature, if so you can leave it on...

Exp sim on the display bottom left ?

Thanks You
      I think this is referring to live view mode. With exposure sim set to on (or yes) the rear screen displays an approximation of the final exposure. Set to off you see exactly what the camera is seeing with regard to light levels. I generally leave sim set to on as the actual light levels can often be a bit to low to actually see anything on the screen making it a bit useless.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Auto lighting is a good thing if it makes a difference. Single point or area is best, use live view with the focus point selected manually overtge subject. Exp sim is only useful foe live view, the depth of field button should be used in viewfinder mode. Exposure outdoors on sunny days should be evaluation but otherwiae use spot or partial especially in low light. As for the suggestion to shoot raw, don't unless you are confident doing so and your software supports your camera.

Comment

As for the suggestion to shoot raw, don't unless you are confident doing so
          ALWAYS shoot raw as it has the full range of shooting information and allows you much more flexibility when processing, eg rescuing detail in the highlight or shadow areas which is more difficult if you are just working with a jpeg.

and your software supports your camera
          Have you not heard of Adobe DNG which will convert any camera RAW file to a file that can be read by any of the versions of Elements or Photoshop. Failing that you could always use the canon software that comes with the camera.

The best thing to do is set the camera to shoot both RAW and jpeg and then even if you do not use the RAW every time, it is there if you need it
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
            ALWAYS shoot raw as it has the full range of shooting information and allows you much more flexibility when processing, eg rescuing detail in the highlight or shadow areas which is more difficult if you are just working with a jpeg.

Have you not heard of Adobe DNG which will convert any camera RAW file to a file that can be read by any of the versions of Elements or Photoshop. Failing that you could always use the canon software that comes with the camera.

The best thing to do is set the camera to shoot both RAW and jpeg and then even if you do not use the RAW every time, it is there if you need it
            sound advice and totally agree - more so if your a newbie as you may not get everything right all the time and having a Raw file will offer you a lot more control when editing
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Sorry, pocket edit
              Last edited by pietdupreez; 14-06-2019, 17:54.

Comment

Working...
              X