JPEG Photo Marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPEG Photo Marathon

Yesterday I took part in my first “live” photo competition and the format may be of interest to you.

We had to take 12 shots ONLY on 4 designated themes within 3 hours, in jpeg form.

SD cards and shot starting number were identified beforehand and confirmed at the end before downloading directly onto the judges’ computer.

I thought the themes would be Architecture, Sun& Sky, whatever, but it turned out to be 4 places within the locale – townhall, windmill, (both closed) & 2 small waterfronts. These were given to us at the start of the competition.

So about 30 of us wandered about and you could see folks peering from all angles, I wondered what they were seeing that I wasn’t.

With 3 shots only at each locale you had to be absolutely sure before pressing the button that it was absolutely right……not just in terms of exposure but also horizons, lampposts, people or cars intruding etc. It was a day of blazing sunshine and although it was supposed to start at 10am it didn’t kick off until 11am due to Spanish Efficiency so white walls dazzled!

I am reasonably happy with the majority of the pictures although there was nothing that really stood out for me so I shouldn’t think I’ll trouble the scorers. (If there is I’ll post it but don’t hold your breath)

It was a great thinking and learning experience and I enjoyed participating. It levelled the playing field by making you focus on your technique rather than rely on post processing. It never occurred to me to take a second camera for trial shots- but that would be against the spirit of the competition and I guess a ban would be easily enforceable since we could see each other anyway.

As I have no idea of what goes on in English photo clubs I’m not sure if I have a new idea to impart to you or if you’re all saying “Yeah, we know.”

So sorry if that’s so………if not then maybe give it a go?
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: JPEG Photo Marathon

what a great idea - looking forward to seeing you shots

I know some togs that do go on about this type of non processing work so I'll be interested to see your images

I don't belong to clubs, just not for me
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Challenging idea. I'm not part of a club, but could see this being a popular format. I too look forward to seeing the results
      Garry Macdonald on Flickr
      Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I'm not part of a club either- this was an open event and I plucked up the courage!

Despite knowing a few other British photographers on this island I was the only Brit who took part. It was well advertised so more's the pity

Comment

Have fun. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Tom

Comment

What a great event..I like the concept...the limited shots must really concentrate the mind.
            Perhaps we could set something up via this forum?
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Bo, well done for 'putting yourself out there' and flying the flag for Brit togs! Sounds like an interesting concept (I'm not in a club and I've never heard of it before) but not sure I'd be brave enough to try. I can see it as a really valuable learning activity. Would be interested in seeing your images however they do.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Would be interested in seeing your images however they do.
                I had 6 or 7 perfectly good shots but they were from the classic angles and I imagine any one of us could have taken them.

So for interest and learning purposes only I offer the following 3 "failures" which I downloaded directly rather than via flickr. They are all sharp enough and I'm slightly embarrassed to be posting c**p.

IMG_8821 copy.jpg
                Didn't fancy training around with my heavy but sturdy tripod so took light travel tripod. Big mistake-this proved to be useless in portrait mode. The shot didn't really work although I'd asked too much of myself with the shade and incoming bright light together

IMG_8823copy.jpg
                Still smarting with my failure with the door and drooping tripod I was delighted to see the lads en route to their concert and asked them to walk across on cue. Desperate to get the right moment I snatched and the verticals are off, plus there's a post jumped into the picture. Memo to self - use the aforementioned tripod!

IMG_8825copy.jpg
                I don't dislike this although his arm action looks a bit boring at the moment of snap. I thought it best to have him in motion rather than pose as it's more natural. With the bright midday light and white boat he was also a bit dark. Would fill in flash have worked from 4 m away?

All pictures taken with 70d and 24-105L lens although I carried the 18-200 around just in case.

As I said, a big learning curve and, contest or not, any one of us could try this by ourselves. Makes me realise how much I've come to rely on RAW to tweak highlights and shadows, and PS to remove mistakes and enhance. I'm not saying we shouldn't use these tools - not at all- but improvement starts with getting the basics better- doesn't it?

Comment

Nice work! I particularly like the 2nd and 3rd. I do think we rely on pp quite a lot, but, don't forget, so did photogs of old. Doing all their own processing. Re fill flash on the third, a speedlight certainly would have worked, but not sure about the popup on the camera. I think you may have been in danger of blowing the whites on the boat then though. A reflector would have been a safer bet. I think you did excellently under tough constraints, very well done,

Garry
                  Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                  Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Bo, no need for any embarrassment. Ok, the first may not have worked out, but the other two, using just some standard tweaks of crop and lifting shadows would have been fine. And yes, I know that's not the point of the competition, but my point is that those two have potential because you saw both opportunities and had the vision to take advantage of them. So job done I'd say. And well done.
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks for sharing and well done for entering Bo
                      This format looks like it puts your technique and photogrpahic eye under a lot of pressure so perhaps the benefit is the reflection, learning and insights from the day - I have learned a couple of things just by you sharing your observations so it's benefiting others as well :-)
                      Great comment by the way about the post jumping into the shot :-)
                      Cheers
                      Dave

Comment

Thanks chaps for stopping by and your encouraging words.

If the format is repeated again next year I'll be ready...................!

Comment

Your comp is a great encouragement to Jpeg adherents like me. Some nice images.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Interesting idea, I'll pass that onto my camera club.
                            Andy
                            Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Well done you brave and noble Lady - at least you had SUNSHINE for the exercise!
                              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                              X