Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good beginner landscape camera? Nikon or Canon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a good beginner landscape camera? Nikon or Canon?

I am into photography and I would buy one of those professional cameras. Nikon or Canon which is good for those who want to take landscape photos? Please, I want a camera that is cheap, images of great quality, aesthetics and landscape. Thanks
    preiswerte Fotoversicherung

Re: What is a good beginner landscape camera? Nikon or Canon?

Not surprisingly, as this is a Canon Forum, we would say Canon. Primarily, because we have gone through your decision process and decided that Canon was for us. If you had asked the question on a Nikon Forum, I suspect that they would suggest Nikon.

In truth, there is very little to choose between them at each level, as they directly compete with each other and as you are looking at the two market leaders, you cannot make a bad decision. Canon is a much larger company, sells more cameras and they have a slight price advantage on the cameras and lenses. Other than that, find a local dealer that sells both makes, go in on a quiet day and play with both to see which "feels" the best.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

As Colin says, with the best will in the world, you are unlikely to get an unbiased response from this forum. The vast majority of this forum's members are/will be Canon users and for them to recommend you any other type of camera would be the same as them all saying "We bought the wrong camera !!"
      I would think your best bet is to post on one of the general photography forums which deal with all the various brands - especially if you want that unbiased opinion.
      One other thing that Colin mentions - go to your local supplier and get to handle the different camera bodies - you may well find that the way the camera handles will be more important than the brand - as said before - image quality wise there is little to choose between brands these days.
      Hope you get your ideal camera soon - and I hope it will be a Canon.
      Last edited by jhdee; 16-08-2010, 14:03. Reason: Still can't type
      jhdee

Comment

Why not try the Cambridge in Colour forum as they have users of all the DSLR's and you will start an interesting thread with each owner saying that their choice of DSLR was the correct one.
        Or as Colins says go into a dealer, wave a nice big fat credit card or, if you have any the folding stuff, under their nose and see what deal they will give you on the camera which you like.

David
        David

Comment

I'd also throw Sony (nee Minolta) and Pentax into the evaluation. Might even consider the 'Four Thirds' format (Panasonic (with Leica glass), Olympus, et al).

You'll soon find out why Canon and Nikon rule the waves in this sector. Although Sony want to be number 2 ... which is good as it'll keep Canon and Nikon R&D very active ...

But cheap ... there is still no Zenit / Zorki / Practica / FED DSLR ... yet ...

Comment

I dont think you can go far wrong with Canon or Nikon DSLRs.
            If you go on a Nikon forum you will see Nikon users demanding some of the features and attributes of Canon cameras.
            And verse versa on Canon forums

Trev

Comment

I dont really think the camera comes down to it, your ability to take a landscape picture and lens choice would be more of an issue than whatever system you decide to adopt.

Comment

I dont really think the camera comes down to it, your ability to take a landscape picture and lens choice would be more of an issue than whatever system you decide to adopt.
                Agreed.

It's V easy to take rubbish snaps with a snazzy camera
                I've taken gygabytes upon gygabytes of them. My best camera is a 40D, maybe that's whats been holding be back !
                Trev

Comment

I have seen many a 1 series in the hands of a numpty, producing mediocre shots.

Just a mo, that's what I use ................. hmmm, better delete this before anyone notices!

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    I have seen many a 1 series in the hands of a numpty, producing mediocre shots.

Just a mo, that's what I use ................. hmmm, better delete this before anyone notices!

Colin
                    too late.....
                    David

Comment

Damn!

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

As a "Stingy/tight fisted numerate person" who has been through Kodak Brownie, Pentax (Spotmatic, MX,ME,MV), Canon film (EOS 300,300x & 3) and now digital (350d ,450d & 550d), I think Canon beats the LOT- HANDS DOWN. So go for it. For Landscapes choose a good wide angle lens. If you scroll through the forum replies on wide angle lenses you will find one which suits your purpose. It is the lens that makes a good landscape NOT the camera IMO
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I think Canon beats the LOT- HANDS DOWN
                          Hi Nathaniel, Just playing devils advocate
                          What if you point the Canon at something that most people would find really drab and un-interesting ?

Trev

Comment

You get a drab and uninteresting shot of superb quality?

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

On second thoughts, the correct answer would be nothing.

Because Canon users wouldn't press the shutter button!

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X