• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 116 - "Alone....."

"Alone, alone, all, all alone,
    Alone on a wide wide sea!
    And never a saint took pity on
    My soul in agony."

(The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - S. T. Coleridge)

Thus spake the ancient mariner to the wedding guest and Coleridge's repetitive use of words helps to evoke the feeling of utter loneliness felt by the mariner when he found himself the only living soul on the doomed ship.

So the challenge is how would you convey "alone" visually rather than verbally? The subject could be animal, vegetable or mineral, not necessarily human.

The challenge starts immediately and finishes at Midnight on Tuesday May 17th, 2016. That gives 3 weeks (and 3 weekends) for folks to take, process and post their image.

The standard competition rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

I will do my best to give an honest assessment of every entry but please bear in mind I am not a judge (half the time I am not even competent!) and it will be my personal views only.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Challenge 116 - "Alone....."

Alone in the snow

Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

"where did I go wrong?"

Canon 1dx, Canon 70-200 2.8 mkII with Canon mkIII 1.4 extender.
      1/320, f/7.1, iso 100, 165mm

.DAVID.
      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Alone on a hill.

Telegraph Hill - alone
        by AlexR!, on Flickr
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

An evening all on his lonesome

Alone for an evening by Richard Anderson, on Flickr
          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Just a little nudge-type reminder - only a week to go!
            John Liddle

Comment

Solitary Confinement

Solitary confinement by Tony Taylor, on Flickr

He did get out BTW.

Last edited by TonyT; 12-05-2016, 01:09.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

“There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save.” Isaac Asimov

Corridor by Barbara Bett, on Flickr
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Alone and hiding from the world.

Alone and Hiding by David Ore, on Flickr

Comment

Did you mean "A Loan"? Will £10 be enough?

Cheers, with tongue firmly in cheek, Chris.
                    For what it is worth, 7D + 24-105L.
                    Just chuggin' along.

Comment

OK folks - Challenge closed
                      John Liddle

Comment

When I set this challenge, I had expected to see some of the classic image types – the lonesome pine, the single standing stone, the lonely mountain – but what I got was a very diverse set of interpretations – well done everyone!

ST-EOS
                        Taken on the day we had the unseasonal snow – an opportunity well taken! I like the contrast of colour and white. The snow that has settled on the flower and its slightly dejected angle gives a definite forlorn feeling. I think I might have been tempted to bump the ISO up and close the aperture down to increase the depth of field a bit.

David Stallard
                        I like this - the rest of the pack have swept on by and the "loss" of the car and the need to seek safety nicely evoke a feeling of helpless abandonment. I might be tempted to experiment a different crop and perhaps lose some of the right-most part of the fencing, which is a bit ugly, but on the other hand it adds to the feeling of distance.

AlexR!
                        A peaceful image with a well-placed and colourful subject. The lines of the tops of the trees draw the eye nicely to the centre of the image and the "V" shape of the sky creates a vanishing point which emphasises the scale of the environment and the solitude of the figure on the bench (presumably SWMBO?).
                        At first I thought you had been blessed with the sun behind you and an interesting sky in front, but then I noticed the shadow direction and I presume from the even exposure that this an HDR image. There seems to be some lack of sharpness in the leaves of the trees to the right hand side and I wonder if this is an artefact of wind movement and the HDR process which a slightly stronger de-ghosting setting might ameliorate.

Richard
                        It is easy to imagine the young fellow is bereft of his lady love and seeking solace via the Twittersphere (whatever that is), which detracts a little from the depiction of "alone".
                        The lighting and exposure are spot on, but I wonder if an image with more foreground (which showed the whole of the slab plinth on which the bench sits) might increase the sense of the figure being isolated?

TonyT
                        I would be lying if I were to say that I was glad the squirrel escaped – a very personal view I know, but I regard the greys as vermin. That said, the image certainly conveys the sensation of being trapped on your own in a situation you cannot control. The shot captures the action well and there is a nice catchlight in the eye.

Lunarbo
                        The quotation from Asimov is very appropriate and so desperately true. The corridor verticals are correct (I would not expect anything else from a lieutenant in the Horizon Police), but the more I looked at it the more I felt that something was out of kilter. I think it is an optical effect from the way the streams of light angle across the floor and it helps to convey a feeling of disorientation, almost producing a slight vortex effect. My only suggestion might be to put the figure (presumably HWMO) a bit further down the corridor to increase the sense of physical separation.

Dave61
                        I like ladybirds – they bimble about getting on with their lives while most of the time we either ignore them or just plain don’t notice them. I also have the 100mm macro lens and know how shallow the DOF is and this image, as you would expect, shows that effect. Nonetheless, it conveys the feeling of a small and vulnerable creature lost in a big wide world.

Chris J
                        Well, what can I say? – more damn cheek than tongue in cheek! . As I said at the start, I had not received quite what I had expected, and this just shows the extent of the out-of-the-box thinking that this community is capable of. A good crisp image and I do like the way the camera has caught the hologram on the £10 note.

So, the upshot (in traditional reverse order) is :-

Third:     Alex R

Second:  Lunarbo

First:      David Stallard

So my grateful thanks to everyone who entered and congratulations and over to David for the next episode.

(P.S. If you haven't read the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, you should - try to look at the version with Dore's etchings - they are terrific)
                        John Liddle

Comment

Well done David a worthy winner, great shots too.

Comment

Really wasn't expecting that after the great set of shots that were posted - 'a loan' actually made me laugh out loud so thank you for that ;-)

Thank you again for taking the time to set / judge, new challenge up shortly.

.DAVID.
                            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

John - thanks for setting and judging an interesting challenge. Yes I had the tree on the hill but wanted something different hence dragged HWWBO out to play!
                              David- well done on your cute shot and I'll get my thinking cap on for your challenge
                              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                              X