Challenge 117 - 'A different point of view'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 117 - 'A different point of view'

The challenge starts immediately and finishes at Midnight on Saturday June 4th, 2016. That should give everyone plenty of time to find their inspiration and to do any PP and post it up.

This Challenge is titled “A different point of view” which basically means you can take a photo of ANYTHING that takes your fancy - just from a different angle / height / view - so lets see many and varied submissions from as many members as possible.

The standard competition rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

I will do my best to give an honest assessment of every entry but please bear in mind I am not a judge and it will be my personal views only.

Now go forth and photograph. . . .

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Re: Challenge 117 - 'A different point of view'

Just a friendly bump up the page, as the previous one shows at the top on the main forum page, so folks probably are unaware this one is in play.
    :)
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

iPicture

EOS 5DMKII w/EF24-105mm F/4L

Tom

Comment

I was in Washington DC earlier this week, staying near the Arlington cemetery, which contains the United States Marine Corps memorial, also known as the Iwo Jima memorial, a bronze statue based upon the famous photograph by Joe Rosenthal. So, I had the idea of taking this iconic image from 'a different point of view', which I did and is entered below. But interestingly, as I also took the image from what appeared to be the front since it had the main inscription and was the side most people gravitated towards (see 'Iwo Jima 1' on my Flickr page - although a poor image due to staring into the sun) this is actually the reverse of the photographic image, so already a 'different point of view'. The closest depiction to the iconic photo is when you look at the memorial from what seems to be the back (image named 'Iwo Jima 3' on my Flickr).
        But anyway, here's my entry:

Iwo Jima 2
        by AlexR!, on Flickr
        Last edited by AlexR!; 28-05-2016, 10:58.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Reflecting on "Different Angles"

Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Jumping Jack Trees

Jumping Jack trees by Richard Anderson, on Flickr
            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

After the Thunder cometh the Lightning

Lightning reheat by Tony Taylor, on Flickr
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Don't normally see this part of the woodpecker

Backside by John Liddle, on Flickr

[Original image replaced with slight edit to keep the horizon police happy!]
                Last edited by John Liddle; 31-05-2016, 14:28.
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

A different point of view taken by management and staff - the bus conductors (remember them.....) - in 1935 on Birmingham's buses about how passengers should be addressed!! Management clearly didn't want the type of "impertinent" familiarity being shown by the conductors towards those they were serving!!

Taken at the Wythall Transport Museum which houses 90 buses from the Midlands and further afield. This was a large metal notice obviously for display in the bus depots.

Cheers, Chris.
                  Last edited by Chris J; 04-06-2016, 08:43.
                  Just chuggin' along.

Comment

SunDance

[IMG]SunDance by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
                    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

A different angled seat, carved out of a tree in Hove park.

Take a seat by David Ore, on Flickr

Comment

Closed - sorry guys been away racing all weekend, I will endevour to get some sort of judging done tomorrow once I have finished processing the weekends shots.

.DAVID.

Comment

Thank you to those that entered, was hoping for a few more with such an open subject, some great interpretations nonetheless.
                          Tricky to judge but here we go:

tesarver: great colour, sharp with a really nice soft bokeh.

AlexR: strong subject with a nice explanation, colour pops nicely with the eye getting drawn to the flag. Cloud edges look a little odd but that could be my monitor on the way out.

ST-EOS: Awesome, took the subject title literally and with superb clarity.little 'blueing' in the bottom section but again could just be my monitor.

rcarca: another interpretation, looks like an oil painting - actually really like the overall effect of this one, but more different processing than different point of view.

TonyT: As my comment above, although this one has great heat haze as opposed to processing, love the image and the title fits nicely.

John Liddle: Made me smile, this is more what I was expecting! could do with smoothing out the sharpening artifacts on the background but other than that, great image for the challenge.

Chris J: Well spotted, if only we could say what was needed without offending the delicate little flowers of the PC brigade nowadays ehh.

lunarbo: Terrific, have tried and failed this idea many times, managed to nail the subject with just enough of the background to lead you into the glass.

Dave61: another good interpretation, well taken, the tree in the background I find a little distraction, if you had moved just a fraction to the left you would have lost the 'white' trunk from the side.

Have changed my mind several times now, but after one more shuffle and in reverse order:

3rd - tesarver

2nd - lunarbo (almost a joint 1st)

1st - ST-EOS

Well done Peter, couldn't really fault your entry as it summed up the challenge title perfectly. Over to you sire.

Thank you again to those that entered

.DAVID.

Comment

Thanks David for putting together the challenge and then doing the difficult job of judging. and a to all those that entered, all very good images, and lastly a big to Peter on the win.

Tom

Comment

Congrats to Peter and those on the honours list! Interesting competition. Shame there were not more entries!

BTW: mine was nothing to do with post processing (although I did what I would usually do) and was about moving the camera up during the exposure - just for info!

Best

Richard
                              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Working...
                              X