Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Challenge No. 11. "Cool". 21st Aug 2010 - 5 Sep 2010 inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forum Challenge No. 11. "Cool". 21st Aug 2010 - 5 Sep 2010 inc.

Watching a 16 strong flight of Spitfires very very COOL

Heres just two
    My friends call me Woody

Comment

My son's idea of a "cool" pose for a photo during a (relatively) cool Cyprus sunset at Agios Georgios

Thought I'd try and sneak this one in as the rules don't actually say anything about when the entry has to be posted, only when it was taken....
      =========================================
      Scotty - Noob with a 550D, Russell Hobbs 14943, 18-55 IS Kit Lens,
      70-300mm Tamron, Wahl 5560-917, nifty fifty and a Philips QC5015

Flickr Account

Comment

Ok so it's judgement day.

In hindsight this appears to have been a wide but difficult brief for this competition so very relieved to see any entries at all. Therefore, my sincere thanks go to all who entered. As a result of the calibre of entries, separating a winner was never going to be easy. Well done all!

Like other judges before me and as you have no doubt already noticed from some of my entries in various forum threads, I'm very much an amateur whose still got loads to learn. I am certainly not used to judging. That said, I accepted the gauntlet and so.......unaccustomed as I am to judging here goes........ (“Shields up Scotty, warp factor eight Mr Spock. Get us out of here!”)...............

Points are awarded in the following areas

Interpretation. (max 10 points)
        Tech exec & exposure. (max 10 points)
        Composition (max 10 points)

Chris J - Cool As A Cucumber

Interpretation = 10
        Those cucumber slices look as cold as they do cool if you know what I mean
        Tech exec & exposure = 9
        Not too easy to set up and get just right with the lighting I suspect. Very slightly
        over exposed to me in places.
        Composition = 9
        The trick is to make those slices look appealing and good enough to eat. You succeeded.

Total = 28

Codachrome - Summer Keeping Cool

Interpretation = 10
        Lovely, nay more than that, a delightful portrait. Excellent use of title with subject matter.
        Tech exec & exposure = 6
        Jacket looks a little over exposed to me on both arms which is a little distracting.
        Composition = 7
        Image could do with more space either side of Summers arms (appreciate it's not always possible).

Total = 23

The Bear

Interpretation = 5
        Shows imagination. Very subjective.
        Tech exec & exposure = 5
        Colours appear to be over saturated.
        Composition = 5
        Would like to have seen more of the machine.

Total = 15

RevvinKevin

Interpretation = 10
        Excellent Interpretation and fun! Time and effort = reward.
        Tech exec & exposure = 9
        Excellent.
        Composition = 8
        Would like to have seen the whole front wheel to add balance to the image.

Total = 27

Nathaniel Ramanaden - Going into the water to chill out!

Interpretation = 2
        Sorry Nathaniel but I'm struggling with the interpretation. Waterfowl are expected to
        enter the water and not necessarily to chill out.
        Tech exec & exposure = 9
        Good exposure and DOF. Colours and point of focus spot on. Image would particularly suit being transferred onto to canvas with a dark brown thick frame. Overall a very good image.
        Composition = 7
        This shouldn’t work in my opinion. Bird is centred with head too far over to the left and yet it works very well indeed. There seems to be an illusion that there is plenty of space in any direction for the bird to move into. Very good.

Total = 18

Muscat

Interpretation = 10
        Definitely cool
        Tech exec & exposure = 9
        Excellent. A tad more DOF would've improved the image IMO.
        Composition = 8
        Very simple but it works very well. Very likeable and interesting image.

Total = 27

briansquibb - Cool Capri

Interpretation = 8
        Agree, it's cool!
        Tech exec & exposure = 8
        Too much blue in my opinion, okay, okay, joking! Clarity is amazing.
        DOF spot on. Cracking engine, Cracking image let down only by the bright area top centre.
        Composition = 8
        Being a little harsh here I feel but would like to have seen more of the "Cool Capri"
        and not just the cool engine of the cool capri.

Total = 24

pelliot1954 - Cool Interiors

Interpretation = 8
        Got to admit, as far as interiors go, it's cool.
        Tech exec & exposure = 9
        Technically very good, the subject (title) was about the interior and the aperture value chosen appears to have paid off with DOF and focus confined to just the interior leaving the bonnet and top edge of the windscreen out of focus enough to cause the eye to be lead to the interior on first view. Good control of the flash. If it wasn’t for the Exif, would not have known that flash had been used.
        Composition = 8
        Good composition. Like the strategic positioning of the cool shades and mag.

Total 25

eeyore = Keeping Cool

Interpretation = 9
        Nicely seen and well caught.
        Tech exec & exposure = 7
        Hard to pin point but foreground and middle of image appears to have good DOF on my screen but wall area to the left of the tree seems to be slightly OOF. In my opinion this is one of those scenes that would benefit from a greater DOF (but then what the heck do I know?) with more definition given to the wall and passers by. That said, I suspect a difficult balancing act.
        Composition = 8
        Good. May have been better with a slightly tighter crop in an effort to remove the person or object to the extreme right of the image. In addition, cropping left would not detract from an otherwise very nice image and help the composition by focusing the viewers eye more on the group.

Total = 24

x-ray-spex - Showers Expected

Interpretation = 10
        Excellent
        Tech exc & exposure = 10
        Excellent. Well captured. Slow shutter speed and wide aperture and yet amazing clarity on the subject complete with water movement.
        Composition = 9
        A huge shame that the face of one of the subjects is obscured but appreciate there are times when you just have to go with the best shot rather than the perfect shot.

Total = 29

Freebo

Image will not be the subject of any judgement due to breach of forum challenge rules.
        (author has been contacted and is in mutual agreement).

DianaS - Cool Dogs

Interpretation = 8
        I like the interpretation. Somehow dogs and water always seem to go together well.
        Tech exec & exposure = 8
        Good control of exposure. All to easy to get overly bright reflections from disturbed water.
        Composition = 8
        Simple but effective. You just know in which direction the dog at the rear is going to swim. A lower POV may have been more effective (assuming there was scope to get a lower POV). That said, a very very likeable image.

Total = 24

Zed one - Watching a 16 strong flight of Spitfires

Interpretation = 6
        Very good image of spitfire's, but not strictly in keeping with the “cool” theme IMHO.
        Tech exec & exposure = 8
        Prop blur is good and always essential with these shots. Difficult shot to get right on reflection, given that in these circumstances the photographers focus of attention is normally to capture the aircraft and it would be all too easy to forget the background. The background on this occasion is very discernable and complements the subjects. Nice capture.
        Composition = 8
        Disappointed. Title suggested a shot of sixteen spitfires. Good choice of aspect ratio though.

Total = 22

TheGFB - Cool Pose

Absolutley superb Image. It is with sad regret that I am unable to accept this entry for the competition due to it's late submission. The entry closure date is clearly defined within the title of this challenge. You should seriously consider entering this into a more formal competition as it is a mighty fine image in all respects.
        At the very least, you should consider submitting for inclusion in a future the EOS Magazine publication. Really really sorry.

("Forget the warp factor eight Spock, just get Scotty to beam me up, now!")

Results

The winner is: x-ray-spex - Showers Expected with 29 points
        Second: Chris J - Cool As A Cucumber with 28 points
        Joint Third: RevvinKevin and Muscat with 27 points

Congratulations X-ray-spex, well deserved.

Looking forward to challenge 12.

Steve
        EOS 400D, EOS 40D, EOS 7D
        EF 24-105L F4 IS, EF 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS, EF 50mm MK11

Comment

Well done Mark, a worthy winner.

Chris J had a very clever idea, but just missed out.

Revvinkevin and Muscat inseparable for a podium slot.

Tough job to separate some of those entries, so well done to Steve for judging and what a pity TheGFB missed out on timing, but a consolation prize with very positive comments from our judge.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Am I a happy bunny? Of course I am. I didn't think I'd get all excited by a bit of a fun competition, but I found myself checking in more and more to find out the results.
            Well done to all who entered, and secretly I'm a little relieved I didn't win, because although I have a great idea for a new challenge, judging the results would scare the bejaysus out of me.
            Ha, off to bed with a grin on my face
            Struggling with technology.......................

Comment

Steve, Excellent job of reviewing and judging the challenge,

Congratulations X-ray-Spex great picture

And a joint podium things are looking up I am very happy

Comment

WOW ............ I've won something ......... well chuffed !!!! Thanks to Steve for setting an interesting challenge and well done to all other entrants ..... there were some great shots in there.
                I will post up the next challenge later on today when I have thought of something to tax all of your brains !!!!
                Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Excellent competition - great fun

Looking forward to the next one
                  ef-r

Comment

Congratulations everybody - I knew I was pushing my luck with the late submission, so no worries Steve

Your comments were so kind, I feel like a winner in any case!
                    Scotty - Noob with a 550D, Russell Hobbs 14943, 18-55 IS Kit Lens,
                    70-300mm Tamron, Wahl 5560-917, nifty fifty and a Philips QC5015

Flickr Account

Comment

Congratulations X-Ray specs. I thought it was a great shot. I also know exactly where you took this photo-at the Elephant Orphanage in Pinnawella, Sri Lanka.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Well done everybody and thanks for the very well considered judgements - most helpful - especially when I worked out what POV means!! Look forward to the next subject but never want to win as all the judges so far have done such a brilliant job ansd have made it a hard act to follow!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
                          Congratulations X-Ray specs. I thought it was a great shot. I also know exactly where you took this photo-at the Elephant Orphanage in Pinnawella, Sri Lanka.
                          Spot on Nathaniel ............ kids loved it
                          Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by X-ray-spex View Post
                            WOW ............ I've won something ......... well chuffed !!!!
                            One of my more pleasant duties within our local camera club is to announce the winners of certain competitions. As I announce the name, I glance over to the winners and recognise the initial look of surprise, bewilderment and then pleasure as it all sinks in. Talking with them afterwards, their view follows the same roller coaster of emotions:
                            • Enter picture - I think I am in with a chance with this shot!
                            • See other entries - damn, not a chance in hell against that competition!
                            • Chairman announces winners - bloody hell, I did win afterall!
                            • Humility sets in - congratulates others: "I didn't think I had a chance against your shot!"
                            • Gentle smile and renewed confidence for the future.
                            It is wonderful to watch and this Forum seems to follow a similar vein. :)

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

You are a naughty boy, GFB- "the girl from behind!!"
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Well done X-ray-spex a great image..
                                Well done everyone who entered,
                                Well done Steve for the great competion and judging
                                Look foword to the next challenge,

Coda
                                There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Working...
                                X