Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Stopper and graduated filters

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions for a big stopper nd10 filter and a ND graduated filter.

Don't know whether to go for screw in or slot in type for these so any advice on which may suit best?
    They need to mount to a 77mm filter thread.
    I also have UV filters mounted to all my lenses, what's the opinions on leaving these in situ when using other filters?

They will be used for mainly turning water smooth in daylight situations for the big stopper and for sunsets with the grad.

Open to suggestions on good quality without spending mega bucks if such a thing exsists !

P.s, they will mainly be used on my 16-35L F4 but also my 24-105L F4 and 70-200L F2.8 .

Cheers,

Jeff.
    Last edited by Coolcat; 27-05-2016, 17:10.
    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Re: Big Stopper and graduated filters

Having used screw in filters (ND) I don't find them anywhere as convenient as square filters and a holder.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I prefer the Lee filters. Big and Little Stopper; and I've never had any issues with them - apart from the price.
      - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

I've used both and find screw in ones a PIA - but they are a lot cheaper - I've moved to Lee and like Tony said other than the price a much better option as you just set the shot up and slide the filter in
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Jeff, remove your UV filter when shooting. They are fine for protecting the front element of the lens but so is a lens hood!
          I have BW screw in ND's in various strengths and a Lee collection including both hard/soft and big/little stoppers.
          For a cheaper alternative to the Lee offerings you could look at the Hitech products.

Remember that an ND grad filter can be created in post processing, but not a polariser. However you cannot create an LE exposure in post processing

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Cheers for the replies so far guys,

Seems the consensus of opinion is towards square slot in filters.

Other than Lee filters any slightly cheaper alternatives?
            I'll check out the Hitech range :)

I know the Cokin range but I was thinking of something better than that but cheaper than the Lee filters.

I'm afraid I'll never remove my U.V filters, had a bad experience once at a motor racing event and no lens hood would have protected the glass but my filter saved a rather expensive end to my old Sigma 120-300 I used to have.
            They also help to weather seal my glass which is useful when shooting motorsport in some of the challenging conditions that you come across.
            I know they divide opinion but for me they are staying on apart from when using my polarising filter and when I get myself a ND Grad and Big Stopper.
            Last edited by Coolcat; 27-05-2016, 19:40.
            Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

I've got a set of the Cokin range and they don't come anywhere near the quality - plus do Cokin offer a 10 stopper ? if they do and you cover the posted I'll send you the kit free

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

That's a very kind offer but you guys have already sold me on going a bit more upmarket.

I had a Cokin set back in my film days and I do remember them as not being the highest of quality .

Did enjoy over use of my starburst filter though !
                Regards,

Jeff

Comment

the difference between cokin & lee is vast its almost like going from a childs pay bit of kit to a pro's

Comment

A local Camera Club conducted tests and the Lee filters came out by far the best. I took the cheap option first of trying out a screw on 10 stop filter, it works by turning two polarising filters to gradually make the scene darker. It is fine at certain angles, but when the sun was going down on my right, half the image was dark, and half was light. Disappointing.
                    Lee filters offer 10% discount to Camera Club members, phone them up, they are very helpful.
                    Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
                    http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Comment

Cheers guys,

Looks like I may be plumping for Lee filters then .

I'm in the Clacton Camera Club so that 10% discount sounds useful .
                      Regards,

Jeff

Comment

one thing to consider I bought a set of soft grads at the same time of getting the big / little stopper and I've not used them yet as I've found adjusting in PP far better than putting a grad onto an image you can't change later - just another thought for you

Comment

I would always take a with and without shot of the scene anyhow ........just in case ;)
                          Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                            one thing to consider I bought a set of soft grads at the same time of getting the big / little stopper and I've not used them yet as I've found adjusting in PP far better than putting a grad onto an image you can't change later - just another thought for you
                            True but if it's very bright no amount of pp will deal with blown highlights. I often use both an ND grad and then apply another one in LR later. This is particularly true for sunrise & sunset shots.

BTW I also use Lee filters but for big stoppers I have a Hitech 16 stop and would probably buy their version of the 10 too.
                            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Well I'm going against the consensus here as I use screw in filters. There is a lot less additional equipment needed in the first place and much quicker to screw on a filter than to assemble the frame work that is needed for the Lee type. Downside, yes you need ones that suit all your lenses if they are of a different thread size. I only really use 3 lenses and they are all 77mm, not an issue for me.

I use the Hitech 16 stopper and for me it's amazing. I also bought a Hoya 10 stop recently and that seems to be performing just as well.
                              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Working...
                              X