Battery Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Capacity

I've just invested in two sets of Eneloop 2500mAh batteries and a Youshiko Intelligent charger.

The charger displays Charging Current/Time of process/ Current Tension (voltage)/Current Capacity Ah

When the batteries are Full (according to the display) the Capacity is shown as 1250-1260 Ah.

Any physicist out there that can explain the difference between that and the rated 2500mah capacity please?
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Re: Battery Capacity

Russell - either

a) the batteries take time to develop their full capacity (by being discharged and recharged several times) or

b) you have been sold a pup and the batteries are not what they actually claim to be.

Were they unexpectedly cheap? If it looks too good to be true... you know the rest!
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks for replying John. No they were Amazon"fulfilled" and not back of a lorry stuff. I didn't want to return them until I was sure of my grounds. I.e does the 2500 mAh mean that's the number that should show on the charger when full.
      Russell
      Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX

Comment

I wonder if they may be suffering memory effect, try discharging them nearly right down and recharging them, this will explain

Hi. I didn't condition my battery properly like many people here are saying (i.e. charge it to full, then run it down once, then charge it all the way to full again with no interruption). Is there anyway to do that process now without restoring to factory defaults or do you have to do it when...

They may have been sitting in a not fully charged state in stock for a while so may take a couple of cycles to recover, does that make sense? But it will be a trade off between how long you try before you reject them.

My Canon 1DX charger actually has a facility to recondition the battery on it when you start to get lower charges. Though I only use genuine batteries as on the 1DX as they have the facility to count down remaining shots available
        on the camera, which the none original batteries don't.
        Last edited by TonyT; 04-06-2016, 13:10.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Russell - I have just realised which charger you have got - I have one as well.

I think the answer to your question is that the charger displays how much charge it has put in during that charging session. I think that in order to get the value of the total capacity, you have to put the battery through a discharge and recharge cycle, then the charger should display how much charge it took to fill the battery i.e. its capacity.

As supplied, batries have some charge in them, so charging them from that state to full will only display how much needed to be added to top them up.
          Last edited by John Liddle; 05-06-2016, 13:08. Reason: quick edit for a typo
          John Liddle

Comment

Thanks Tony & John. You're both right, and I'm currently (no pun intended) putting them through the refresh cycle. I tried it with one battery - it took over two days - but then showed 2800 mAh, well in spec. I have the rest on the refresh cycle now.

As an ex IT guy I don't quite understand the decision to show the charge added in the session. The remaining capacity is far more important.

Thanks very much for your feedback.
            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
              As an ex IT guy I don't quite understand the decision to show the charge added in the session. The remaining capacity is far more important.
              Russell - I think it is because it is simple and accurate to measure, whereas estimating a battery's capacity from the final voltage (which I suspect is all you can do) is far less precise.
              John Liddle

Comment

Working...
              X