Optech Dual Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optech Dual Harness

When I am trekking about for wildlife, carrying a load of heavy gear can be a pain. Wherever possible, I try to restrict things to a couple of bodies, the 300mm and 500mm, with converters for emergency. If I use a backpack, I tend to carry more than I need (just in case) and if an unexpected opportunity arises, I can’t often react quick enough. So the other option is just the bodies and lenses with a strap over each shoulder. I can react quickly when needed to, but they aren’t very secure and I have had a couple of near misses where the kit nearly hit the deck.

I saw an Optech solution at a Pro Camera day and didn’t take a lot of notice, as my mind was on lots more interesting goodies. But, after a recent near miss, I thought it was high time I tried this out. I now have one and it is a brilliant solution where you regularly use two bodies.
    • Even with big lenses on, they don’t knock against each other.
    • They are fully secure.
    • It is very comfortable, considering the weight.
    • The “slip loop” rear strap means that both straps are of equal length in the down and shooting position.
    • Because I use Optech straps as standard, it is just a couple of clicks to convert from a normal strap to the double harness.

Further details available here. UK price is around £36.

Colin
    Colin

Re: Optech Dual Harness

Come on Colin... Give us a modelling shot with your big ones hanging

Looks a good solution... all I need now are the big lenses & FF bodies to look 'cool & professional' (along with the hat of course - although I'm still unsure how you shoot through it !)...

Only 'downside' that immediately springs to mind is weather protection in the event you're caught out...

As an aside; I frequently use the LowePro Field Belt with pouches that I can stuff my kit into pronto if it starts to rain... Another reasonable solution if you don't want to lug a backpack...
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
      All the girls say that!

Weather protection isn't really an issue, as 1 series bodies and L lenses are water proof, though I tend to look after my kit and don't rely on that. I have thin waterproof bags that cover each lens and body, or I can wear the harness beneath my jacket if the weather is really blowing a gale. But by that time I am heading back to the comfort of the car!

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        Weather protection isn't really an issue, as 1 series bodies and L lenses are water proof...
        So I believe; but I don't think I'd be game on to really give it a test.

I did manage to blow one body up (an XXXD) when caught out in a sudden and torrential downpour a good few years back... Fortunately the insurance coughed-up...
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Dam!! Knew I forgot to do something yesterday at HCT

Comment

Very disappointed in you Glenn...we were all relying on you to post something "hanging"....

David
            David

Comment

There was a lady present!

Time for a quick update:

It was good and solved the initial problem, but walking too quickly, the lenses were banging against my legs. A quick adjustment lunchtime improved the situation, but I think I still have a small adjustment to make. It was a bit of an ultimate test of two 1 series bodies, a 500mm f4 and a 300mm f2.8, but it handled them well and they seemed lighter to carry with this arrangement.

So far so good!

Colin
              Colin

Comment

I've been following this because I have optech straps and I like them, this product looks good.

I went to the optech website and watched the video, they breifly mention having a camera bag, but they don't dwell too long on it.
                To get to your bag you'd have to unclip the lenses, set them down, remove the harness, then get you bag off.
                Seems like there's an extra step if you have a rucksack type camera bag.
                I use a two cam setup with bag, would remove two camera inc straps, then get to the bag.

All that aside, This would stop the twisting tangle I find myself in somtimes, and give you more support with the weigh.
                Colin would you reccomnend this product for 2 xxd bodies 24-70 + 70-200 2.8 each with flashguns with bag for a 5 hour stint on foot, with a possible two or three times having to get the to the bag.
                Maybe no bag, plenty of pockets, and lens pouches would be better with this harness, what do you think ?

Trev

Comment

Two semi-pro or pro bodies and a couple of L series lenses, no trouble at all. Walking around with them for 5 hours, no trouble at all. I can be using them with a 500mm f4 and a 300mm f2.8 for up to 8 hours and I don't feel the strain.

I used to have one over each shoulder and hold onto each strap, in case one slipped off the shoulder. With the harness they are secure, the weight is evenly distributed and I have hands free to open doors, gates etc. Although, I generally have my hands resting on the lens to stop them swinging as I walk.

My only concern would be the flashguns, purely because the mounting foot of the flash can be subject to knock damage. No so much on the 580 EXII, because of the metal foot, but certainly earlier models. This is pure supposition, but with the base of the body against your body and the lens pointing down, the flash will be sticking out sideways from you and hence my thoughts of damage. I would certaily keep the flashes on when using them in anger, but I would take them off for walking to the next location.

I have the Lowqepro street and field vest and street and field belt and plenty of sliplock bags. I might give that a try when I am next out, as with my main kit on the harness, I don't need much else to warrant a bag.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

two 1 series bodies, a 500mm f4 and a 300mm f2.8
                    Colin I don't think Optech ever envisaged such a stern test as you're putting them through..LOL

My only concern would be the flashguns, purely because the mounting foot of the flash can be subject to knock damage. No so much on the 580 EXII, because of the metal foot, but certainly earlier models. This is pure supposition, but with the base of the body against your body and the lens pointing down, the flash will be sticking out sideways from you and hence my thoughts of damage. I would certaily keep the flashes on when using them in anger, but I would take them off for walking to the next location.
                    With the flashguns I find if you haven't got one on each camera you may as well just carry one.
                    There's the settings that may need changing, and in my bitter experience the flashgun is never on the right camera at the right time, on a bad day

You're right the weak point is the foot, I don't think the metal on the 580ex2 solves this, it's just easier to get off and on than the 580ex
                    With my 580ex sometimes you go to get into off the camera and it wont budge, without using the superhuman strength people get in a panic. my 580ex is a backup now.

I've been in drunken cramped environments, I've bever broken onr yet, I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that. :-)

I carry the 70-200 almost behind me with the flash going across my back, if you saw me from the front you wouldn't know I had it. My current two Optech straps work well apart from the twisting, I find it really emabarrasing spinning cameras to untangle them, makes me feel I a right wally

I might get that optech harness, if I do I'll come back with an update.
                    Trev.
                    Last edited by Trevoreast; 11-02-2011, 17:36.

Comment

It's certainly worth a try Trevor.

It may be that my perception of using it with flashguns is too pessimistic, but I don't really know. Flashguns aren't much good in my wildlife set-up.

Colin
                      Last edited by colin C; 10-07-2012, 10:37.
                      Colin

Comment

Eh, I gotta go with http://www.habbycam.com

Comment

Hi Colin, have been reading some of your threads and found this one on the Optech Dual Harness,I did read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to let the weight of a 300 or 500mm lens hang on the camera mount, and that the weight should be taken by the tripod mount, what are your thoughts as you use the harness, it does look a great way of spreading the load.
                          Regards.
                          Chris.

Comment

Hello Chris

Your information is correct in that you shouldn't hand that much weight from the camera mount.

Use the tripod foot when using a tripod, or monopod, but there are also strap lugs on each of those lenses. You can connect an ordinary strap to one lens, or use the Optech harness to connect to the strap lugs on both lenses. The strap lugs are positioned such that, even with a heavy 1 series body attached, the lens will hang down.

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                              Two semi-pro or pro bodies and a couple of L series lenses, no trouble at all. Walking around with them for 5 hours, no trouble at all. I can be using them with a 500mm f4 and a 300mm f2.8 for up to 8 hours and I don't feel the strain.
                              Bloody hell Colin...I thought carrying my 5D and 24-105mm was heavy? I couldn't even do 8 hours carrying nothing but a pair of pants without feeling the strain! :)

Would like to see a picture of the 300mm & 500mm strapped up...how on earth do they not knock into you or each other?

Do you use the 500mm handheld or do you carry a monopod/tripod also?

I like Op/Tech and have an Op/Tech strap with the Quick-release but not sure I would trust that plastic clip to hang a 500mm f/4L on?

I have been looking for a solution that will allow me to leave a couple of short 'loops' on body and lens and have a neckstrap with 'long' ends to connect to lens /body.

My Op/Tech is the other way around...long loops on body/lens and short ends on neckstrap.

I don't like leaving the standard neckstrap permanently connected because it gets in the way much like the long Op/Tech loops do.

I could live with short loops & quick disconnect on body/lens though.

The UK site doesn't show what I am looking for and I have tried a couple of their Distributors to no avail.

I did see a video on the USA website showing what I think might be what I am looking for under their Uni-Loop System Connector and although I have found a nice wrist-strap I have had no luck in finding a suitable neck strap or harness.

Kind regards,
                              -=Glyn=-

Comment

Working...
                              X