Optech Dual Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Optech Dual Harness

Do you use the 500mm handheld or do you carry a monopod/tripod also?
    Handheld. Monopods or tripods slow the shot, because you are manoeuvring around their fixed axis. Much quicker and more responsive to just tuck your elbows into your chest to brace yourself and let your more powerful back muscles swivel to follow the target. It sound far more impressive than it is and those here that know me will confirm that I am of average build.

not sure I would trust that plastic clip to hang a 500mm f/4L on?
    I have tested it to over twice the weight of the 1 series/ 500mm combo without problem. However, I am always cautious when connecting the straps to ensure I feel and hear the "Click" as the straps connects. From then on, I am confident it will handle the weight.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I have used an Optech single strap for a few months now and I would never use anything else now....
      My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
      © JH Foto
      The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Anyone seen this looks quite good bit similar to Black Rapid

Last edited by 2Beers; 24-09-2012, 10:33.
        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by GlynH View Post
          Would like to see a picture of the 300mm & 500mm strapped up...how on earth do they not knock into you or each other?
          I guess it would look like this...

Colin by mikep_eos, on Flickr

I took the shot in April 2011 at the Hawk Conservancy Trust in Andover, as I thought my wife would be interested in seeing what the other togs were packing!

Sorry Colin - couldn't resist posting!

All the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Well I've just ordered the Op/Tech Dual Harness from Amazon via Carmarthen Cameras for £21.99 so shall see how I get on.

Thanks for the heads-up Colin!

As I said in a previous post I have a very nice Op/Tech neckstrap but won't use it because of the long extensions that have to be left on the camera - the short, padded neck part has the system connectors directly on the end of the padded bit.

I absolutely loathe long, dangling straps and so never use the damn things.

Dangerous (and stupid) I know as they are there for a reason but I can't stand them hanging on the body/lens/whatever.

I would prefer a longer neck strap but with shorter connectors such as the Op/Tech Uni-Loop..the problem then being my current neckstrap is so short the camera would end up tucked under my chin!

Mind you I could do with something to hold my chins up and stop my head rolling around when I fall asleep! :)

They do make some XL System Connectors that are in effect an extension strap with their trademark quick-disconnects but as the connectors are the weak link IMHO I would rather not use them instead preferring a proper neckstrap with longer ends!

I have seen the exact strap I need on someone else's camera but for some reason the UK Distributor doesn't import them and doesn't even list them on their UK website.

I'm sure I'll get there in the end but this is the same with all of my purchases...it's all a very good compromise but never perfect for me and I end up redesigning most everything I buy!

Fussy...moi?

Thanks & kind regards,
            -=Glyn=-

Comment

Sorry Colin - couldn't resist posting!
              Look mum ......... no hands!

At a steady pace, no need to hold on to anything, but if I need to move a bit quicker, just a steadying hand against each lens is all that is needed.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Well the Op/Tech Dual Harness arrived yesterday and I was flailing around in front of the mirror like an epileptic octopus when my girlfriend came home.

She smiled when she saw me all 'suspendered up'...not because she is into photography but probably because she has read 50 Shades Of Grey! :)

I was disappointed (as was she when I kept talking cameras) to discover that the Quick Disconnects are once again at a distance away from the camera leaving my pet hate of long straps hanging off the body...especially as I had splashed even more cash to buy eight(!) pairs of Uni-Loops to fit on all of my bodies, lenses, cases & even binoculars.

Gonna have to splash the cash on yet more Op/Tech gear...namely two pairs of extension straps so I can replace the existing Dual Harness straps on both sides so as to connect directly with the Uni-loops on the gear.

By the time I have finished I will have enough straps etc. to open my own Bondage chain...excuse the pun!

Apart from that it looks like my plan of having all of my gear quickly swappable between harness, strap & sling is coming together at last although why this couldn't be sorted at source by the manufacturer God only knows!

Just had some texts from Canon Service Centre...the 50mm f/1.4 that I dropped in yesterday afternoon @4pm for autofocus failure has been repaired and both the 300mm f/2.8L & 500mm f/4L that I dropped off at the same time to be serviced (mint 2009 models purchased used in the last few months) have been checked over, cleaned and are ready for collection also!

That was quick...

-=Glyn=-

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                  Look mum ......... no hands!

At a steady pace, no need to hold on to anything, but if I need to move a bit quicker, just a steadying hand against each lens is all that is needed.

Colin
                  Wot? nowhere to put the Hat? Where does it go?
                  Last edited by Nathaniel; 05-10-2012, 14:16.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                  X