Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convertors

Hi
    I would like to improve my bird photography by having a longer range lens, but cannot afford a decent one at present
    I have a Canon 5D, a EF 24-70 2.8 (black) lens and a 70-300 1.5 (black) lens
    I am getting mixed messages about if a 1.4 or a 2x convertor (is that the same as an extender) will work on either of these lenses
    I understand I will loose 1 stop of light with the 1.4 and 2 stops of light with the 2x convertor
    Will I still have auto focus?
    Will this be only at f8 and smaller?
    In which case I will need a very bright day to get a workable exposure
    I know I could use a high ISO to compensate the loss of light but this will not give the detail and clarity I want
    Please can anyone tell me if my understanding is right and what would be their recommendations in my position
    Thanks
    Eleanor

Re: Convertors

Eleanor I don't think you can, I think it is something to do with the rear elements of the lens striking the converter (yes, same thing as an extender, just a different term for it ) and damaging the lens in operation, so it can only be used on certain lenses, see

Copy of the manual

Found it

While some third party extenders *may* work properly with Canon's non-extender-compatible lenses, they probably will not report the reduction in aperture. Attempting to mount a Canon extender on these same non-compatible lenses can damage the lens due to contact being made with the rear lens element. Canon extenders simply do not fit behind the rear lens element on Canon's non-extender-compatible lenses.
    From

Is the Canon EF 2x III Extender right for you? Learn all you need to know in The-Digital-Picture.com's review!

Not all Canon lenses accept Canon Extenders. This is due to their construction. Extenders have a protruding front element that will not fit into the rear of many EF lenses. Compatible lenses have a recessed rear element, which creates space for the front element of the Extender.
    From

:(
    Last edited by TonyT; 13-06-2016, 10:24.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      It makes it very clear that it's a non-starter
      Not good news but at least I have not wasted my money
      Eleanor

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
      Eleanor I don't think you can, I think it is something to do with the rear elements of the lens striking the converter (yes, same thing as an extender, just a different term for it ) and damaging the lens in operation, so it can only be used on certain lenses, see

Copy of the manual

Found it

From

Is the Canon EF 2x III Extender right for you? Learn all you need to know in The-Digital-Picture.com's review!

:(

Comment

Yes sadly it looks that way, though I do not know if a third party one would work.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Eleanor, I use the Kenko 1.4HD teleconvertor on my canon 70-300mmL lens without any problem. This convertor does not have that "elements" problem. This convertor also enables EF-S lenses to be used with it on crop cameras and also enables EF-S lenses to be used on full frame canon bodies. There are several members who have this convertor and are happy with it.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Although many third party converters will fit, unless your camera is a 5D III, even a 1.4x will not autofocus with your 70-300 as most Canon cameras will only autofocus with lenses whose widest aperture is f5.6 - adding the converter to your 70-300, your lens widest aperture becomes f8 so no AF. However the 5DII, 1 series, 7DII and, I think the new 80D will AF at f8 but only using the central focus point

stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

My 100D + 70-300mm f4-5.6L & Kenko 1.4HD autofocuses to f8 (300mm) and above without any difficulty.
              Taken with the convertor in place @f8.

North Wales Coastline 9th May 2016 106 by Nathaniel Ramanaden, on Flickr
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 15-06-2016, 21:30.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Despite what nat is saying the use of a t.c on older cheaper lenses will result in loss of image quality ,which will be made worse if your processing skills are under par to.there is no cheap work around if you need reach for wildlife then you need a long lens .if you just want record shots then it might just be possible but it's your money .have you got a camera shop nearby that will let you try one before you commit yourself

Comment

Working...
                X