Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New forum and EOS M3 user saying Hi !

Hi all,

Hoping to contribute to this wonderful forum, and share my experiences with my newly acquired Canon EOS M3.
    Purchased it at the weekend via Amazon.fr as I live in France and just received it today I got what I would consider to be a pretty good deal ........
    M3 Body, 18-55mm IS STM lens and the EVF-DC1 kit for €675

As excited as I was ( like a kid in a toy shop ), the mood soon changed the multi language 'Getting Started' guides included in the package, weren't in English ! there were two German copies however !

I know I can download and print the getting started guides, and the full user manual from the Canon website ( which I have done already ), but printing off 122 sheets of A4 paper, isn't quite the same as having a pocketable 4" x 6" booklet that you can anywhere with you.

Writing to Amazon France is already causing issues, as they want me to re-pack the entire kit and send it back ! Hopefully I can simply email Canon UK, and request the booklet, but as I'm in France that may be a problem. The other issue relates to the memory card .......... no memory card included in the package Being as the kit does cost quite a lot of money, you would of thought that Canon would of supplied at least a basic memory card to get you started.

Prior to purchase, I read just about every review I could get my hands on, watched at least 20 to 30 youtube review videos, and not a single one mentions that no memory card is included. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I've got my camera, but can't use it right now as I've had to go back to Amazon and purchase a memory card.

So hopefully in a few days I can begin to post up my first experiences with my Canon EOS M3.

M-3 Photography.

Re: New forum and EOS M3 user saying Hi !

Hi and welcome!

Even though this is primarily a DSLR forum the M3 is quite popular with a few here using them - indeed, I'm seriously considering one myself to replace my Powershot G10 as my 'travelling' camera.

So stick around and ask lots of questions and post (preferably via Flickr) some pics.

Oh and let us know what to call you - I'm guessing M-3 isn't your real name

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Along with with some DLSRs, I own both the M & M3. Canon never supplies a memory card with any of their cameras, and I download all the manuals into iBooks on my iPad so I have access to all the manuals in one place.

I love my M3 as it was a great improvement over the M, and I carry that camera with me the majority of the time. I'm sure you'll fall in love with that little camera.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, and the warm welcome

'Paington' ( Devon ) John !? ........ lovely place, lived and worked there for a while ...... the English reviera !

"Even though this is primarily a DSLR forum ........... " Ah, that'll explain why I couldn't find too many posts concerning my mirrorless M3 !
        I was kind of hoping there would be a dedicated section for mirrorless digital cameras. Maybe there aught to be !? Hybrid cameras are becoming more and more popular now, prices are coming down and lets not forget ....... even the pros use them.

I've been on a spending spree again ! ...... as I had to go back to Amazon.fr to buy a memory card, got me a 64GB Lexar SDXC class 10 memory card, while I was there bought loads of stuff, including the 22mm f2 STM wide angle lens Also got myself the Canon RC-E6 remote control as it was
        only € 18 I hope to try my hand at some night photography, so a remote release is a must. Also got me the lens hood for the 18-55 and some filters like the indispensable UV and the polarizing filters.

I can't speak from experience John, as haven't put my M3 through it's paces yet, but from what I've seen you couldn't go far wrong with the M3. I'm looking at it as a 'system', an affordable system. Originally I was looking at the Fujifilm X-M1, camera kit was just about in my price range, but extra lenses were just stupid money. So building an entire system round that camera body is just too expensive. As I'm just a hobbyist returning to photography I didn't see the need in such an expense. So my way of thinking was, I can build an entire Canon EOS M3 system ( as in all the lenses and attachments ) for the same price as the Fujifilm X-M1 kit.

For a few years Canon only relied on the four EF-M lenses, probably because the original M didn't do so well, but now the system is growing. Only recently a 28mm IS STM Macro ( the one with the LED light on it ) was released and now there's even talk of a 9-18mm coming up and no doubt the EOS M4 is just round the corner. Currently only a rumour supposedly ! But hopefully Canon will continue building on the system.

Here's a superb review of the EOS M3 ( a proper review - living with the M3 ) and not one of those rushed type reviews you tend to see on youtube
        > http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/blog/vie...-eos-m3-review he's a professional photographer, so I think he knows what he's talking about. An excellent article that I actually found on this forum on my first visit !

Oh, and yes ....... just got me a 'Flickr' account what a palarva that was ! as flicker no longer support third party logins you have to create a Yahoo email address. Yet another one to go with all my other online accounts. So I hope to be uploading images in the near future. Can't wait to start playing with some HDR stuff !

You can call me TURK guys, as that's my usual 'internet' name .......... as I never use my real info online.

TURK
        Last edited by M-3 Photography; 23-06-2016, 02:44.

Comment

welcome Turk

yep we've a few M3 users here so I'm sure you'll get some advice on using it from them along with us die hard SLR users, although I will agree with you the mirrorless cameras are coming a long way and theres some impressive models going around that keep tempting me

Looking forward to seeing your images,espceally HDR as I'm a fan. I hope your a Mac guy and using Aurora
          Last edited by Tigger; 23-06-2016, 06:33.
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Welcome from me Turk too. I have long been an advocate and user of both the original M and the M3 more recently, with a pretty full kit. Ideal for travel and so much lighter and compact than my DSLRs and their kit! I even managed to photograph some motor sport last January with my M3, by using that 'old' technique that many modern photographers have never acquired, it is called 'anticipation'!
            Enjoy!
            Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
              welcome Turk

Looking forward to seeing your images,espceally HDR as I'm a fan. I hope your a Mac guy and using Aurora

Thanks Tigger

Nope, definitely not a 'Mac' guy ! ........ More of a Linux guy actually Currently using Windoes 7 at the moment as I have to I think that Linux are seriously lagging behind the others when it comes to image processing, and at the moment as I'm in the throws of downloading Canon Imaging software like 'Digital Photo Professional 4' as I want to shoot in RAW format and jpeg, I doubt that Linux has anything out there that will handle those sort of files. But I'm still at the research stage at the moment, so who knows. I think I had better keep things simple right now in the image processing department, and concentrate on taking pictures

I had a quick look at 'Lightroom' also, seems easy enough to manipulate images to create HDR images. What confuses me right now is, do I need Lightroom and Photoshop, or just Lightroom for a reasonably good completed HDR image ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all about 'manipulating' images with computer software. Personally I wish I didn't have to, but there's really no other way as the finished print in it's normal form, would never look as good as when you took the picture. So adjustments have to be done to a point where the final image looks good, but not over done like many I see on the internet. So many pictures that are considered 'great' look totally fake to me !

TURK

Comment

Welcome to the forum Turk, I don`t own any of the cameras mentioned, but you will enjoy it here. I am sure you will get great help and advice if and when you need it, the members have helped me a lot since I joined.

Comment

we'll leave the great HDR does it look fake or real discussion to another thread...don't want to start a trainwreck on your welcome thread ;o)

I've got LR & PS but do find there HDR features a little bit limiting, there are some excellent processors that will offer both levels of merging from those looking for a more arty process to realistic looking images - each to there own but I'm not a fan of over cooking images
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                    Welcome from me Turk too. I have long been an advocate and user of both the original M and the M3 more recently, with a pretty full kit. Ideal for travel and so much lighter and compact than my DSLRs and their kit! I even managed to photograph some motor sport last January with my M3, by using that 'old' technique that many modern photographers have never acquired, it is called 'anticipation'!
                    Enjoy!
                    Quentin

Thanks Quentin

Ha, Ha, yes indeed .......... 'Anticipation' ! ........ many many years ago I used to take pictures of whippet and greyhound racing, you wouldn't believe just how fast them things run ! Frame your shot even before they get there ! helps to have a motordrive as well ....... as on many occasions I only had a tail in the shot, or no dog at all !

These days I prefer to concentrate on landscapes, still life and I want to try my hand at wild life photography also.

I'll be hovering around my front door for the postie for the next couple of days now, for my new toys !

TURK

Comment

Many thanks for the warm welcome guys, I'm sure I'll enjoy it here ......... am already actually

Guess I'll have to fire all my questions in the relevant sections, but I've yet to master the forum ....... so much to read, where do I start ?
                      One thing I've already sussed out is, the 'Search' function on here is garbage ! ......... best using Google, using 'eos-magazine' in front of your search terms.

TURK

Comment

Welcome Turk, looking forward to you posting some photos, Graham

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by supergeeman View Post
                          Welcome Turk, looking forward to you posting some photos, Graham

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

You and me both Graham !

Many thanks

TURK

Comment

Welcome Turk , I live relatively close in Southern Deux-Sevres. I will be interested in your opinion after you have used it for awhile , I am getting a bit old for lugging the DSLR for long distances
                            Dave , France 79

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Given the rise in mirrorless cameras it might be time for a dedicated section.

Been pondering an M3 for travel myself so will be good to see some of your images, others on here producing some good work.

As far as LR and PS go think they fulfil slightly different roles. Certainly a lot of the time most of my images get the minor tweaks in LR but the major use for me is making a good searchable catalogue. PS has a few tools that don't exist in LR, content aware fill, the recently added content aware crop to name a couple.

Assuming you have compatible computer HW/SW then Adobe CC for £8.50ish/month is a good way to go.
                              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
                              X