No announcement yet.

New forum and EOS M3 user saying Hi !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New forum and EOS M3 user saying Hi !

Hello and welcome Turk......the man of mystery
    Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by davcoll View Post
      Welcome Turk , I live relatively close in Southern Deux-Sevres.

I will be interested in your opinion after you have used it for awhile , I am getting a bit old for lugging the DSLR for long distances

Thanks guys

You're right Dave, you're just 'up the road ' from me ! ........ I live in a small town called Aubusson ( more of a large village actually ) on the other side of Limoges, in deepest rural France. I don't know the Deux-Sevres department all that well, but been through it on a couple of occasions, Cholet, Bressuire and stayed in Nior overnight once. Seems the only logical route to take if you don't like major cities like Poitiers and La Rochelle.

As you are so close to Oradour-sur-Glan, have you ever taken pictures there ? I'm planning a photo-shoot there soon, I've seen many pictures of the place but never seen a photo that really captures the emotion and eeriness of the place. If some of you have never heard of 'Village of the Martyrs', take a look here > http://www.oradour.info/

I'll be sure to let you all know my opinions on the EOS M3, once we spent some time together, and you'll all be able to judge for yourselves the quality of the images when I post some pictures up. I got a good start to the day today, as I insisted that Amazon.fr should make good for the lack of the English 'Getting Started' guide that was missing from my kit, they responded by offering me a 10% discount from by original purchase ......... so that's an extra €67 I can spend on something else !

Many thanks for the heads-up on the LR and PR differences Antoeknee ..... looks like I'll be getting both then.

Been looking at the many fantastic pictures you guys take, I'm by no means in the same league, but it's nice to see that monochrome hasn't disappeared completely from a photographic arty sort of way. I've always been partial to BW photography, I feel it expresses emotion much better than a colour picture would otherwise take away. It also gives the image greater impact I feel. I'm a great proponent of light and how light changes the things we see ( the things we see as photographers ), as most peopel who look, merely look but don't see !

May I be the first to petition for a mirrorless digital camera section please I know I'm knew here and don't want to rock the boat, but since buying my EOS M3 I've looked just about everywhere on the internet, and there just isn't a dedicated forum for mirrorless digital cameras. Just a thought for the admins.

TURK

Comment

Good Morning , I visited Oradour-sur-Glan a few years ago on a motorbike , but it was bright and sunny not the conditions needed to convey the atmosphere of a village with such a dark past. It is worth a visit by anyone if only to remind oneself of what man is capable of.
        Dave
        Dave , France 79

Comment

Originally posted by davcoll View Post
          Good Morning , I visited Oradour-sur-Glan a few years ago on a motorbike , but it was bright and sunny not the conditions needed to convey the atmosphere of a village with such a dark past. It is worth a visit by anyone if only to remind oneself of what man is capable of.
          Dave

Hi Dave,

Yeah, must of been quite an experience for you.

'Bright and sunny' ....... were the conditions that day, on June 10th 1944 when the Waffen-SS entered the village.
          The sad irony of it, they made their way to the wrong village !

I haven't been yet but I plan to take some pictures on a bright sunny day, but when there's a drizzle. You know the one, the rain where you can't decide whether to wear a coat or not. Couple together both those elements, a thin rain and warm weather and you should get a little steam rising from the ground that'll look like a slight mist. And to give the scene greater impact, all the surfaces will have a slight sheen to them, like reflections on cobble stones.

And obviously, you shoot the scene in monochrome.

TURK

Comment

Originally posted by M-3 Photography View Post

May I be the first to petition for a mirrorless digital camera section please I know I'm knew here and don't want to rock the boat, but since buying my EOS M3 I've looked just about everywhere on the internet, and there just isn't a dedicated forum for mirrorless digital cameras. Just a thought for the admins.
            TURK
            I must confess I don't see the need - The M3 is an EOS camera - I have just posted my M3 images in whichever "EOS Photography" section they belong to - to give the M3 its own section would imply that the images it produces are in some way inferior or different to those produced by a conventionally sized camera and that they need special consideration - a bit condescending in my view.

After all, it's not the camera that produces a stunning image - it's the person behind it.
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
              I must confess I don't see the need - The M3 is an EOS camera - I have just posted my M3 images in whichever "EOS Photography" section they belong to - to give the M3 its own section would imply that the images it produces are in some way inferior or different to those produced by a conventionally sized camera and that they need special consideration - a bit condescending in my view.

After all, it's not the camera that produces a stunning image - it's the person behind it.
              My thoughts as well. Well stated John

Tom

Comment

... - to give the M3 its own section would imply that the images it produces are in some way inferior or different to those produced by a conventionally sized camera and that they need special consideration - a bit condescending in my view.

My point exactly when pressing for the Powershots to be included too!

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Hi all,

Maybe I've got this all wrong, but I am trying to get to grips with the layout of the forum still, but mainly trying to suss out the intent of the forum. Without upsetting too many members ....... I hope not to upset any member if I can. Is the forum actually aimed at just taking pictures and showing your 'work of art' or is it about how to use a particular model of camera ?

It's obvious from the layout of the forum that greater emphasis is on the photos themselves, and not the kit we use. You have to navigate to virtually the bottom of the page to find the equipment section, while the rest is entirely about photographs and what pictures to take. I really came here to learn how to use my camera, the available lenses and maybe pick-up some tips on the Canon software that goes with the system.

So far I think I must of read every post concerning the M series ( going back to April 2013 I think ), and not seen a great deal of 'how the shot was taken' with what settings, and a small foot note saying 'how fantastic the camera is', and then maybe a final shot. ......... not a lot of information can be cleaned from that. Maybe I'm being too harsh, or expecting too much. At least now I'm learning where to post my queries ( I think ), Robert suggests that I post in the 'digital cameras section' anything related to the M series ........ so that's what I'll do, thanks Robert.

John ........ I'm not quite sure how you come about your interpretation of my suggestion, that the M series would be inferior ( or better ) than other EOS systems, so lets put it in a section of it's own !? I mentioned it here and on my other thread because, it is a different technology. It's neither a DSLR nor is it a compact ( as in it has exchangeable lenses ).

And "a bit condescending in my view" ....... a word that bares no expletive on the subject. I don't understand where you're coming from with that one !

I know you Have an M3 John and you're very happy with it, as I've read all those threads. But where's the write-up, and what lenses do you have ? couldn't find that. What it really boils down to is, how does this forum cater for the newbie EOS M3 purchaser ? where does he go for help and guidance ?

And a final note on your last quote, that I also disagree with .........

These days it seems that it's not necessarily the person behind the camera, but how good your software is and how you use it !

TURK

Comment

These days it seems that it's not necessarily the person behind the camera, but how good your software is and how you use it !
                    I would disagree its working partnership between all, you can have one without the other

As for the purpose is this forum I think its well laid out so that members that are interested in a niche can post images and get feedback - whether that feedback is just an appreciation of the image or asking questions.

Also most here use flickr, so if we want to dig into how the shot was done, that data is on offer via the flickr link. Should further information be required then all you need do is ask and I don't think I've come across a single thread where the tog has refused to share his method..

So, you upload your images to the relevant section - Should you need advice on lenses or additional equipment needed, then post it, it doesn't need to be in a dedicated section this forum is a general canon user forum
                    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Tigger, and to all of you who have steered me in the right direction

Hope you all understand that I'm still trying to find my way around the forum ........... and my new camera ! Spent all day yesterday reading the user manuals, as it was raining Next up, couple of photo-shoots lined up, Wednesday I should be receiving my 28mm f/2 prime lense ........ can't wait to try that out !

I've already been on a couple photo recce's, I usually use my iPhone for snaps just to get a general idea of the scene, so on the actual shooting day, no time is wasted. Hopefully I'll end up with some images worthy of uploading to my new Flickr account and share with you all.

Speak to you all soon.

TURK

Comment

Evening all,

Just a wee update on my experiences with my Canon Eos M3 that I bought a couple of months ago ......... fantastic little thing ! I'm not new to photography and digital SLR's, in fact, I own Nikon's and a full frame Kodak Professional ( sorry 'bout that folks ! ), so I indeed had the chance to compare the mirrorless M3 to my usual cameras, and I must say, it is quite impressive !

I'll go into greater detail at a later date, but for now I'll just show you what I've been up to. My intentions are to put together a portfolio of my 15 best shots, and as I just got a flickr account ( still trying to get used to that as well ), it's early days on there as well ....... the shots have potential but I don't think they're quite there yet

Not a great deal to show yet folks, but it's a start, I hope to upload 15 of my very best shots into my 'Portfolio', still trying to get to grips with Flickr at the moment ....... so watch this space ; )

I'd appreciate any feed-back, and please criticise all you want. I see criticism as a guiding light so to speak. I also purchased 'Adobe Lightroom 6' ( not 'The Cloud' ), as I don't want to sign my life away ! So I'm learning that as well ! ....... WOW, what a program ! I also took full advantage of the 'Nik' plug-ins, as they're free at the moment haven't used them yet, still watching youtube howto's on how to use them. Did away with Canon's DPP4 as I realised that it was pretty limited.

Just a quick question before I go ........ is there a way of making the thumbnails on flickr larger ?

Thanks all.

Pascal

Comment

just click on the thumbnails to make them larger

If you want feedback much better to post an image on the appropriate forum, eg, landscape etc rather than trying to do so from flickr

Stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                            just click on the thumbnails to make them larger

If you want feedback much better to post an image on the appropriate forum, eg, landscape etc rather than trying to do so from flickr

Stan

Thanks Stan ...... will do both of those

I just took a peek at your website ......... great shots there, but that one with the Kestral with the lizard in it's beak is something else ! what a cracking shot !

I haven't got a decent telephoto lens yet, but I'm hoping to take some shots of what they call a 'buse' here in France. They've got a massive wing span maybe 2 or even 3 feet ! ....... don't know what it's called in the UK, but it may be some type of hawk !?

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Pascal

Comment

I just took a peek at your website ......... great shots there, but that one with the Kestral with the lizard in it's beak is something else ! what a cracking shot !
                              thanks Pascal

but I'm hoping to take some shots of what they call a 'buse' here in France. don't know what it's called in the UK
                              its a buzzard and quite common here as well

In respect of flickr, once you have clicked to make the image larger you will see some buttons to the right

Untitled-1.jpg

click the share photo arrow

Untitled-2.jpg

then ensure BBcode is selected, choose the size from the drop down menu and then copy link and paste to the thread on the forum
                              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                              flickr

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                                Even though this is primarily a DSLR forum the M3 is quite popular with a few here using them
                                John - I thought it was an EOS forum, and the M3 is indeed an EOS camera!!!

Welcome M-3! I feel your pain! At least when you go to a physical shop they will remind you that you need a memory card (which sometimes feels like a straw that can break the camel's back!), whereas online they are less likely to do so. Good luck though! and looking forward to seeing your shots!

EDIT: Just realised I am very, very late to this party which is probably over!!!
                                Last edited by rcarca; 21-09-2016, 11:55.
                                Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Working...
                                X