Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposition for a 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' section ............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposition for a 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' section ............

Hi all,

Not long been a member here, and already I'm trying to influence things ! sorry if it's been asked before.

Originally I became a member as I'd just purchased my Canon EOS M3, and wanted a place to share my findings, pictures but more importantly, a place where like minded people could support one another ad share information. As the mirrorless digital camera market is growing, so are the users.

I am a member of other forums where I post articles and howto's very frequently, and I do have to say that I love the layout of the forum, I know there are many different section headings already .......... can we cope with yet another ?

If it doesn't work, or it falls behind expectations, we can always get rid of it !

Just to add to that, Many members who already have the privilege of owning a DSLR, more than likely already have a digital compact in their kitbag, or are contemplating on getting one.

TURK

Re: Proposition for a 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' section ............

I'm not a great fan of splitting a forum into to many sub sections, I think you could have members not looking at it because they know its not a DSLR - its a photo and it goes into all the other sections

As for deleting it if it fails, problem then members images would vanish along with comments and I can image those that contributed would be upset
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

more than likely already have a digital compact in their kitbag, or are contemplating on getting one.
      Agree with Ian but as there is already a section for canon compact cameras I suppose that could be extended to include mirrorless however the forum is for EOS DSLR forum and the compact camera section is mainly for those who have a compact in addition to a DSLR.

Cant see any problem in posting images in wildlife, landscape etc though as existing members with M1 M3 etc already do

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

The title of the Magazine and of this Forum is "EOS", not EOS DSLR! This appears to be a common misconception that we should only really talk about DSLR photography, in my opinion.
        To 'lump' the EOS M series in with 'Compacts' is not fair to those of us who use them (M series) from choice, so I support a fresh heading for the M series, or mirrorless if you prefer.
        Quentin

Comment

The title of the Magazine and of this Forum is "EOS", not EOS DSLR
          you are of course right Quintin, not awake yet this morning
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

I fear a dedicated 'Mirrorless' section would experience the same problem I've witnessed with the 'Compact' section in that a great variety of photograph types are all grouped in together while DSLR users have sections dedicated to Landscape, People, Sport, Transport, etc.

Dedicated sections make it easier to view those threads for which there is a particular interest while those posters of 'Compact' (and maybe future 'Mirrorless') images may be less viewed due to their anonymity.

The forum is supporting of and by a magazine which is called the 'EOS Magazine' so the intent is clear. Why it was not called the 'Canon Digital Magazine' is unclear but it may be that at the time it came into being 'EOS' cameras were considered to be more in the realm of the serious photographer while the compacts of the day less so.

With the stunning performance now achievable by the Powershots and M series (both of which can cost considerably more than entry-level EOS cameras) perhaps it's time to reconsider and accept images produced with these models into the main dedicated section part of the forum rather than just creating another anonymous bucket for the new Mirrorless cameras.

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
              The forum is supporting of and by a magazine which is called the 'EOS Magazine' so the intent is clear. Why it was not called the 'Canon Digital Magazine' is unclear but it may be that at the time it came into being 'EOS' cameras were considered to be more in the realm of the serious photographer while the compacts of the day less so.
              EOS magazine was launched in 1993, when all EOS cameras used film.
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Hi all,

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                As for deleting it if it fails, problem then members images would vanish along with comments and I can image those that contributed would be upset
                You're right Tigger ....... what a ridiculous idea, forget I even mentioned it !

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                The title of the Magazine and of this Forum is "EOS", not EOS DSLR! This appears to be a common misconception that we should only really talk about DSLR photography, in my opinion.
                To 'lump' the EOS M series in with 'Compacts' is not fair to those of us who use them (M series) from choice, so I support a fresh heading for the M series, or mirrorless if you prefer.
                Quentin

The 'EOS Magazine' title was what got me here in the first place, only to be told that the magazine and this forum were dedicated for the Digital EOS SLR user. I do own DSLR's, a Nikon D1 and a Kodak DCS 760 Pro which is basically a modified Nikon F5, but I have a very poor selection of lenses for both. What I want to achieve is to build a system based around a small and compact camera, with a great choice of lenses, and I believe a great number of people would like to do the same.

TURK

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                  EOS magazine was launched in 1993, when all EOS cameras used film.
                  That explains it, thank you Robert. When did the forum start?

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                    That explains it, thank you Robert. When did the forum start?
                    Robert
                    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by M-3 Photography View Post
                      The 'EOS Magazine' title was what got me here in the first place, only to be told that the magazine and this forum were dedicated for the Digital EOS SLR user. TURK
                      The internet is full of mis-information.

As mentioned earlier, EOS magazine was launched in the days of film cameras and we still cover both film and digital topics (there is an article on film photography in the next issue).

We have categories for film cameras and digital cameras on the forum.

The digital cameras category has the subtitle 'All about Canon digital EOS cameras', which encompasses both SLR and CSC (mirrorless) models. If you want to talk about the EOS M series, all you need do is start a suitable thread in the digital cameras section, just as members do if they want to talk about, for example, the EOS-1D X or EOS 7D Mark II.

If you want to post landscape images taken with an EOS M3, you can place them in the landscape photography section.
                      Robert
                      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                        If you want to post landscape images taken with an EOS M3, you can place them in the landscape photography section.
                        Can Powershot users also post into the appropriate section too to avoid their posts being lost in the general 'Compact' section?

Comment

The title of the magazine is EOS Magazine and the forum is EOS Magazine Forum - the M3 (and M and M10) are all designated EOS therefore all virtually all parts of the forum are appropriate places for anything from or to do with an EOS camera - including the M series. The only exceptions I guess are the film related bits and maybe the compact section otherwise the whole forum is your world...

If there's a lack of M related stuff on here it's at least partly down to Canon's rather lethargic and apparently half-hearted interest in the said series of cameras. Maybe the M3 is the leading edge of a bit more corporate enthusiasm...
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

As the o.p TURK said there are lots of other forums out there already ,some of which he already uses this one is unique in the fact it's compact and friendly with lots of the regular contributors knowing each other and there foibles very well ,to add yet another section would just be more space used for little benefit as with nats argument a few months ago re wild and tame wildlife sections .
                            At the end of the day the choice lies with Robert and we have to respect his final desicion on the matter .personally I don't see any gain from it as you can just discuss any matters in a digital cameras thread ,any photos likewise can just be added in the appropriate sections ,if you wish to delve further in camera usage leave your exif data visible on Flickr and it's a simple click an look

Comment

There is the closed book section, could that not be reopened and utilised?

I personally think it is an excellent idea that he has proposed and if you are a mirrorless user you may be put off with the lack of a dedicated section, and if you are a future purchaser, a dedicated section where you could learn with your piers would be an excellent thing, it would also draw them to the site and the benefits they would gain from knowledge of the extras they could add to their system from their contemporary SLR users. A sort of photographic cross pollination.

After all, as someone rightly points out the Forum originally opened to wet film users and has progressed to Digital SLR whilst retaining a small section dedicated to wet film users, who is to say down the line that mirrorless is not the way the hobby will progress, after all with faster and faster systems, the mirror is rapidly becoming a dinosaur and a potential stumbling block to the camera design progress.
                              Last edited by TonyT; 24-06-2016, 14:35.
                              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                              X