Bit of a beginner really!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of a beginner really!

I'm a new subscriber and forum member and thought I would introduce myself - before I start asking any of the many questions I have

My name is Jules and I have a Canon eos 1200D which I've owned for just over a year. I had been enjoying taking pictures in auto and the pre-set modes but, a couple of months ago, I had the urge to learn a bit more about my camera and photography in general so I have been devouring how-to videos, magazines, magbooks - and anything else I can lay my hands on since then. I think I've learnt a fair bit - my understanding of my camera settings and setting things up myself has increased massively but I've still got lots to learn - which is why I'm here. I know nothing about Photoshop et al, for example - I don't even know how to use DPP yet which limits my ability to shoot in RAW - my next project! I have a couple of spare lenses and a basic tripod, all of which I'm trying to get to grips with.

I'm starting to realise the limits of my camera - I've had some brilliant (to my eye - pretty mediocre probably!) results with scenic shots, informal portraits and pet portraits (cats, mainly) but I'm struggling with moving subjects (cats playing etc) and my experiments with my after dusk solar lit garden haven't been brilliant. I'm not suggesting that's down to the camera - but I would like to upgrade at some stage soon. Looking at the 80D but I'd like to be a little more skilled and totally used to the settings on my basic model first so I'm not totally overwhelmed. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way of getting an 80D from a genuine UK retailer with full Canon warranty - the internet seems full of amazing deals but when I investigate further I find they are imports. As it's an expensive purchase I'm nervous of imports - rightly or wrongly??

Anyway I have rambled on enough, looking forward to meeting everyone, seeing more of this forum and more of the excellent images I've seen so far.

Re: Bit of a beginner really!

Welcome to the forum Jules
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Hi Jules, and welcome to the forum.

Each and everyone here was a beginner at one time, so you are in good company.

Lots of helpful people here to help you along the 'learning curve'.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

Welcome to the forum Jules

Tom

Comment

Hi there Jules and welcome.

Although I'm sure the 80d would be a super step up it seems to me there's lot's more you can be doing with your 1200. Shooting in Av and Tv for a start, and try some shooting in RAW with say DPP to process so you really understand what settings can be changed and why, in post processing.

For me it's all about composition, focus and light- in no particular order but all vital. you don't have to rush to play with tripods and special lenses.

When you are ready to step up you'll find this forum is divided by those that are happy with grey imports and those that say no,nay never.

suggest you set up a flickr account as photos can look soft if directly transferred from your PC.

Post some shots- enter the photo challenge- and listen to the helpful and friendly peeps on here
          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Welcome jules ,I think bo has covered it accurately ,so go into the main forum and ask away there

Comment

Hello and welcome Jules.

I have bought my equipment UK and grey, not had any dramas with each
              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Welcome to the forum Jules, you have come to the right place for any help and advice from the friendly members. Don`t worry if it`s a silly question either as I ask them, and get a good feedback.

Comment

Thank you for all the kind welcomes

Am off to set up a flickr account now, have been meaning to do so for a while.

Comment

Hi Jules,

Your story sound the same as mine. I started to shoot all my photos in Raw and learning how to edit them in dpp them moving to Lightroom. Lots of videos on YouTube to get you started and will help give you loads of ideas for photos. A new camera may help to improve the quality of your photos but it's the knowledge behind then camera that counts.

Enjoy your photography journey

Ben
                    Eos760, Sigam 10-20, Tamron 70-300vc, canon 24-105 is, ef 50 f1.8, Vanguard Alta Pro 254 Carbon Fiber Tripod With SBH-50 Ball Head

https://www.flickr.com/gp/132221981@N07/0No236

Comment

Originally posted by BenDayer View Post
                      Hi Jules,

Your story sound the same as mine. I started to shoot all my photos in Raw and learning how to edit them in dpp them moving to Lightroom. Lots of videos on YouTube to get you started and will help give you loads of ideas for photos. A new camera may help to improve the quality of your photos but it's the knowledge behind then camera that counts.

Enjoy your photography journey

Ben
                      Thank you - steep learning curve, isn't it? Though I've picked up a lot even in the last few weeks, there is so much to get my head around. Just when I think I've got one thing sussed, something else pops up and I realise I haven't got it at all! I'm massively enjoying it all thought - that's the main thing.

Comment

there Jules and welcome.

Although I'm sure the 80d would be a super step up it seems to me there's lot's more you can be doing with your 1200. Shooting in Av and Tv for a start, and try some shooting in RAW with say DPP to process so you really understand what settings can be changed and why, in post processing.

For me it's all about composition, focus and light- in no particular order but all vital. you don't have to rush to play with tripods and special lenses.

When you are ready to step up you'll find this forum is divided by those that are happy with grey imports and those that say no,nay never.

suggest you set up a flickr account as photos can look soft if directly transferred from your PC.

Post some shots- enter the photo challenge- and listen to the helpful and friendly peeps on here
                        Some very sound advice there, very few people will ever attain the knowledge and ability to operate any camera at it's full potential and I am one of those who never will, it's a learning curve that never ends .

ohh and Welcome
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I have a question if that's ok - I've been trying out test shots on my pets using Av mode for portrait type shots and Tv for catching them playing and running round the garden. I think I'm getting better but keep finding that, as soon as I'm all set up for portrait shots (i.e. Av mode with wide aperture, single point of focus, single shot drive mode) they get all playful and start running around and, as soon as I gear up for action shots (Tv, multi focal point, AI servo) they do something really cute and sit still in what would be a lovely portrait pose! My question is this - is there a quick way to save my main settings on a 1200D so I can switch between them quickly and easily? I know more advanced Canon DSLRs have a Custom function - is that what this is for? Mine doesn't have that setting, is there another way to save my most used settings?

Comment

Hi Jules
                            You could set the AF mode to AI focus as this works for both static and moving subjects!
                            Might not be as quick (as AI servo) but will change to track your subject better than just set to single shot.

Paul
                            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                              Hi Jules
                              You could set the AF mode to AI focus as this works for both static and moving subjects!
                              Might not be as quick (as AI servo) but will change to track your subject better than just set to single shot.

Paul
                              Thank you - I didn't know that so will give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X