Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!!!! Looking to get Dslr.. what would you do ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!! Looking to get Dslr.. what would you do ?????

Well, after going through loads of reviews and still not arriving at any final conclusion... this is my question for you all....

What Canon DSLR would you go for if you had circa 750 uk pounds to spend... I am looking for body and lens....

As far as requirements go...
    Would like it to be new....
    General weekend photography.... but no street photography.... landscapes mainly..
    To be used whilst travelling as well....
    Budget could be pushed for the right item(s)

So, please help me find my new DSLR.... any questions... please fire away...

Thanks in advance

Tez

Re: Help!!!! Looking to get Dslr.. what would you do ?????

You are limited by that budget ,for general use you don't need anything particularly highly spec. I would suggest going through the adverts from the leading companies and comparing the deals on the likes of the 650D which should be adequate for your needs and budget ,you might save a few quid by buying u.k grey market from the likes of h.dew .or the lazy mans option is buy amateur photographer mag for up to date this weeks deals
    H.dew 760D plus 18-135 is lens currently £625 .sounds good to me ,plenty other deals out there
    Last edited by the black fox; 23-07-2016, 22:28.

Comment

Would second Jeff's comments. If you're looking to buy new then a crop camera is your only option - the higher the number the more recent it is.

Going with the 18-135 rather than the standard kit lens 18-55 gives you a super lens for travelling & everyday use
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

You can check prices on www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

Comment

Or as a radical alternative, mpb.com have a selection of 5D Classics and 24-105mm lenses that combined may fit into your budget...
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Look at getting good glass first, Wex have a 24-105 f4 L is for £410 (or scour ebay and you may get a little cheaper). That should leave you enough for a new 700D (or if you can stretch to another couple of hundred quid, you may get a S/H 5D II). You can always upgrade the camera at a later date.
            Regards
            Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
            7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
            24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

also bear in mind with canon the series numbers do denote a level of how good the cameras are i.e
              1 series and 5 series pro bodies
              two number series 50d 60d 70d 80d etc top amateur usage to semi pro
              three number series 600d 650d 700d etc are lower end enthusiast general usage models
              four number series 1000d ,1200d ,1300d are the basic bottom range .
              saying that canon don't make a bad camera that i,m aware of just that certain models reflect on a presumed usage ,if i wanted a dslr that would take all my lens and just for holiday and general use i wouldn't hesitate to get the 1300D i was impressed with that at this years show ..and thats the other thing all canon camera layouts are basically similar so moving from one model to another is fairly seamless ,the basics are all the same its just the refinements menu wise that differ

Comment

look into the SL1 its a very good cam and the 40 pancake and 24 pancake lens are very sharp in the states not knowing uk pricing the kit is 499 us. for a general usage its super plus almost point and shoot sized the 18mp senor is old but very clean in raw and jpg 4 fps not fast but not slow.

joe
                ti1 70D 5Dmk3 10-22 ef-s 50mm1.8 mk1 70-200 4 is l 400 5.6l 100mm macro is l 18-135 stm ef-s
                1.4 tele mk3 now the 85 1.8 ef lens 16-35 4 is l 50 1.4 canon

Comment

Originally posted by beforeEosCamara View Post
                  look into the SL1 its a very good cam and the 40 pancake and 24 pancake lens are very sharp in the states not knowing uk pricing the kit is 499 us. for a general usage its super plus almost point and shoot sized the 18mp senor is old but very clean in raw and jpg 4 fps not fast but not slow.
                  The EOS Rebel SL1 is known as the EOS 100D in Europe.
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

The 750 and 760 have cashback offers on them at the moment, so a 2 lens package is well within your budget. Alternatively, the 70D with an 18-55 stm lens is also just within your budget now that the 80D is out, but stocks might be limited.
                    John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Firstly I should say it depends on what you want to shoot and how much that requires spending on lenses. For landscapes I'd probably go with a 24MP crop-sensor camera with good DR. For lenses maybe a standard-ish zoom and the cheap-but-good Canon wide zoom.

(I perhaps wouldn't get a Canon at that price point, but it has been pointed out to me that you're not allowed to recommend non-Canon gear here so I won't.)

Of the Canons the 80D has the best dynamic range but is new and expensive.

For general photography having a lens that goes to 15mm at the wide end is good (that's 24mm in FF Field of View) however the 15-85 is too expensive at your price point. So for Canon:
                      EFS 10-18mm £180-ish
                      Then a kit with maybe the 18-135 STM (note you really want the STM one) and whatever body suits your price point (the 760D maybe but you'd have to search for a deal).

P.S. prices will probably go up soon if the pound doesn't recover, which it probably won't.
                      Last edited by DrJon; 24-07-2016, 20:10.

Comment

All good advice above...if you want to go full frame at some point then avoid invention in EF-S lenses
                        A good start for full frame would be a 5D, or 5DMKII and say a 50mm f1.8.
                        If you want flexibility then go for a zoom....mbp is a good place to buy second hand...Ive found them to be excellent....less risk than eBay.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                          All good advice above...if you want to go full frame at some point then avoid invention in EF-S lenses
                          A good start for full frame would be a 5D, or 5DMKII and say a 50mm f1.8.
                          If you want flexibility then go for a zoom....mbp is a good place to buy second hand...Ive found them to be excellent....less risk than eBay.
                          I beg to differ there, as I think if you aren't likely to go FF soon you're better off getting the best lens for the job and if it's EFS then trade it in against FF lenses if you do upgrade. (Also with crop SLRs if you don't get EFS lenses you aren't getting anything at all wide.) Although used but with a warranty is always worth a look and mbp a good suggestion from what I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                            (I perhaps wouldn't get a Canon at that price point, but it has been pointed out to me that you're not allowed to recommend non-Canon gear here so I won't.)
                            Especially as the OP has asked specifically for advice on a Canon DSLR.
                            Robert
                            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Fair point DrJon, I still think full frame and nifty fifty would be good....after all it's where most people used to start with film SLRs.
                              Also is the OP aware of EF and EF-S terms?
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                              X