Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!!!! Looking to get Dslr.. what would you do ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help!!!! Looking to get Dslr.. what would you do ?????

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
    Especially as the OP has asked specifically for advice on a Canon DSLR.
    Yes but I read that as they possibly came here for Canon advice, rather than required a Canon product, I wouldn't be surprised if s/he was asking on a Nikon forum too... maybe even Sony as well...

I currently own three Canon DSLRs (although only one gets a lot of use) and no Nikon DSLRs or Sony ILCs, although I don't see Canon as the answer to all camera questions, as it isn't and is quite weak in some areas.
    Last edited by DrJon; 25-07-2016, 10:21.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
      Fair point DrJon, I still think full frame and nifty fifty would be good....after all it's where most people used to start with film SLRs.
      Also is the OP aware of EF and EF-S terms?
      Fair point:
      EF = Full frame lens, works on crop cameras too.
      EFS = crop lens, won't work on FF bodies.

I think just having a 50mm is going to be pretty limiting for landscape work. As will only having 12MP from a 5D - a 5Dmk II would be cool though, but no lens budget is tough. (Also if you are getting a 50 the STM one is the one to get IMHO, although I'm unimpressed with all the Canon 50s and would get the 40/2.8 anway.)
      Last edited by DrJon; 25-07-2016, 10:24.

Comment

My recommendation is the Canon 100D or SL1 (USA). It is a real gem and I have it and use it a lot for travel photography inc wildlife and landscapes.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          My recommendation is the Canon 100D or SL1 (USA). It is a real gem and I have it and use it a lot for travel photography inc wildlife and landscapes.
          Would Echo's Nat's comment and I use the Tamron 18-270 on it and it is a gem of a travel camera.

Tom

Comment

Well, guys and gals, you certainly have given me something to think about.... going through the answers to what I put as a very vague question... there are a few options that seem to be on offer and it seems the main gist of what I have read is this

Get the best glass your money will stretch to....
            Camera body wise... it seems a little less of an issue... I suppose that with todays modern technology that unless your using your camera for either your job or its used daily in your hobby then there is more than enough functions etc on even the basic camera in the canon range....

I would just like to say that the response to my question has been fantastic and I can see that this is the place to be .... thanks everyone... I am a newbie to dslr and things like what the codes and numbers mean is all reletive... I suppose we all have to start somewhere... and we do learn something new everyday... so thanks again....

Tez

Comment

No problems ,you will always get a spread of answers based on what people prefer and use themselves ,personally in your shoes I would go for the cheapest option till you settle on a niche type of photography that your comfortable with ,i.e I didn't start off doing wildlife but these days it's all I do ,once you settle on something then build your system up around that aspect ,be it ,landscape,night scenes,street ,zoo ,wildlife ,portraits,nudes etc to much G.A.S without a reason soon drains the bank balance down .

Comment

What is G.A.S?

Comment

Gear Acquisition Syndrome - the need to buy gear even if you don't need to buy gear.
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Thanks, haven't come across that one before.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                      Gear Acquisition Syndrome - the need to buy gear even if you don't need to buy gear.
                      Does it count if you do need the gear?!!

(Have just bought an 80D with USM 18-135mm lens which I have been coveting for months and months. I definitely need it )

Comment

(Have just bought an 80D with USM 18-135mm lens which I have been coveting for months and months. I definitely need it )
                        Oh, OrangeDiva you definitely needed it !!

Or probably not from my & others' comments on your introductory post.

But still,congratulations on your lovely new machine which you were clearly lusting after and enjoy the ride..
                        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by Orangediva View Post
                          Does it count if you do need the gear?!!

Had mine for a few months now and it's still surprising me ,canon have pulled a blinder with this one

Comment

I purchased my 500mm lens and it wasn't a case of need driven, but it made economic sense, I am saving a fortune in shoe leather with not having to move closer to the subject.

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                            X