Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peak Design Slide vs Black Rapid

Hi

I have a black rapid and although live the principal, hate the fact the camera spins on the end of the strap and I often find I'm holding against my side.
    Has anyone any experience of the Peak Dedign Slide ? Sounds and looks good but it's an expensive trial.......

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Re: Peak Design Slide vs Black Rapid

my son and his girlfriend both use the peak design slides ,they are fine as long as your of a slimmer build and useable with up to a 100-400 zoom lens ,unfortunately if your larger like myself or want to fit a larger lens then the black rapid is the best option .
    my black rapid is used with my sigma 150-600 sport and i have done away with the quick release clip as you say it spins and replaced it with two op-tech short leashes attached to either side of the oblong slider ,one end attached to a long arca plate the other to a lens lug .this gives a nice stable platform to carry a heavy lens by my side ready for instant action .
    however i also have the smaller thinner peak designs slide strap for fitting to the camera when i don't have the big lens mounted ,the strap is in my bag and the two lugs are fitted to the camera support bars .so its a few seconds switch from one system to the other .SIMPLES !!

Comment

I have the Peak Design Slide, the red one, that is actually a darker red. I love it, I am a bit on the bigger side too and while it can be a bit on the short side when carried across the chest on me, I love the design, I use it on my Canon 1DX with 100-400MM lens fitted down to smaller lenses, the mounting is simple and quick, it allows the camera and lens to hang vertically down the side of the body or back which is more comfortable than it sticking out.
      I have the fittings on all the mounting points and tend to clip to one of the main camera mounts and the base one. The mounting cords can wear with time, but they are colour layered with three weaves, so as they wear through each ply when the colour changes you need to replace them, they sell spares, indeed I bought a spare set to fit to other cameras etc. I find it comfortable to wear and easy to adjust in use, the shoulder is padded and it has an anti slip coat on the reverse, it is great to be able to quickly remove the strap when popping it in the bag at the end of the day, or if it is getting in your way.

It amazes me that they haven't brought out a longer variant, I would snap it up in a heartbeat. You can purchase the end fittings as a kit to adapt any strap system to it BTW including the one the camera came with, see

Got a camera neck strap that you absolutely love? The all-new Anchor Links will make it even better. Anchor Links are quick-connectors that can be placed on the ends of any standard/OEM camera neck strap, giving it super-fast, ultra secure quick-connection capability. Place the low-profile Anchors on the strap loops of your camera, binoculars, or other devices. Features all-new hardware that's been slimmed down for better performance in a smaller package. Shipped with updated V4 Anchors. Choosing between this and our straps? See our comparison guide.
      Last edited by TonyT; 29-07-2016, 11:29.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Black fox, do you find the thinner is ok ? Heaviest I'd use it with is 70d, grip and 70-200 f4 L.

Also I've gone down the Manfrotto route so leave a RC2 on the base. Gonna be expensive to swap the plates to the Peak version for the RC2 and reviews ain't to good. But really font like the Rapid swing at mo.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes it's fine used either full length or short as a neck strap ,I use if with my 70-200 L f4 . The only change I have made is to slip on a old padded neck cover for extra comfort but it's not really needed

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
            my son and his girlfriend both use the peak design slides ,they are fine as long as your of a slimmer build and useable with up to a 100-400 zoom lens ,unfortunately if your larger like myself or want to fit a larger lens then the black rapid is the best option .
            my black rapid is used with my sigma 150-600 sport and i have done away with the quick release clip as you say it spins and replaced it with two op-tech short leashes attached to either side of the oblong slider ,one end attached to a long arca plate the other to a lens lug .this gives a nice stable platform to carry a heavy lens by my side ready for instant action .
            however i also have the smaller thinner peak designs slide strap for fitting to the camera when i don't have the big lens mounted ,the strap is in my bag and the two lugs are fitted to the camera support bars .so its a few seconds switch from one system to the other .SIMPLES !!
            Do you have any pictures please ?

Comment

Will do some in the morning ,I presume you mean of the black rapid set up

Comment

Thanks for that. Its the safety connections from the strap to the lens I'm especially interested in.

Comment

O.k will do pics in a bit ,but all I have done is taped off the black rapid connector to stop it banging ,the purchased two sets of op-tech short connectors 1 pair short 1 pair long from e.bay under a tenner for the two ,I also bought a 200mm arca type plate from China again around £4 ( how do they do it) that has two fixing holes for stability ,it extends beyond the normal lens foot also giving better grip at the front of the plate I then used the holes near the front end to accept a long reach op-tech strap end ,the other half of the long reach pair goes on the side lens lug ,the two short reach op- tech straps go either side of the oblong slider on the black rapid strap ..easy to carry as the CG is perfect easy to clip off for tripod work ,arca type gimbal head and long slide to balance perfectly
                  Pics to follow later,now added hope this helps its a bit heath robinson but does actually work ,the only downside is it hangs about a inch lower by your side
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by the black fox; 02-08-2016, 10:20.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post these. The pictures really do aid my understanding !

Comment

No probs ,the middle shot was taken with it hanging ,while I held it with one hand and took the pic with the other ,and shows the near perfect angle of dangle

Comment

Working...
                      X