Zoom! Mini Masterclass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoom! Mini Masterclass?

I like the slow shutter zooming effect but use it rarely as it can become too much.

This is one I took of a singer at Kozfest (I have done better ):

IMG_0112 by John Leah, on Flickr

Afterwards I was chatting to someone I know who uses a 7D and mentioned slow shutter zooming but, as he hadn't heard of of it, I gave an instant demonstration. This was the result:

IMG_0118 by John Leah, on Flickr

He was enthused enough to go and try it for himself

Cheers,
    John

Re: Zoom! Mini Masterclass?

and me thats a great shot

Comment

Second one is superb, question, do you zoom in or out? hand held? The Exif registering 16mm infers out.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony and Kingsown, it's always a pleasant surprise when an old post finally surfaces

Handheld. I rarely use a tripod for anything these days and a bit of camera shake isn't going to be noticeable here.

I zoom in as I think it works best if, for the final split second, the camera is focussed on a point of interest as that will then register while all around are converging lines.

To zoom out the delay would be necessary prior to the zoom which would be harder to judge. Zoom out and delay at the end of the zoom would result in the point of interest being larger in the image blocking out everything around it.

The whole technique is hard to judge so it's one to experiment with especially shutter and speed of zoom.

Good luck

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Working...
        X