Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 700D max flash trigger voltage

Hi,

I've been looking for this information for some time - what is the maximum trigger voltage that the 700D can cope with? I have an old Olympus T20 flashgun that I'd like to use as a manual flash with my EOS. The trigger voltage is around 7.4V according to my source (http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html), but I'd rather not risk damaging my camera. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Kitchen10

Re: EOS 700D max flash trigger voltage

I would personally not try out any of the old flash guns on these modern DSLR's. I have got a few old flash guns myself which I have not used on my newer cameras nor have been able to sell them on Ebay as well!!!!!!! I am now keeping them for my antique collection.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      I would personally not try out any of the old flash guns on these modern DSLR's. I have got a few old flash guns myself which I have not used on my newer cameras nor have been able to sell them on Ebay as well!!!!!!! I am now keeping them for my antique collection.
      Hi Nathaniel,

Thank you for replying so quickly. I'm very tight on money and I can't afford a new speedlite so I figured I might as well see if I can use what I already have. One of my friends has had great success using older flash guns on his Nikon DSLRs!

Thanks,
      Kitchen10

Comment

Hi! Kitchen,

There are lots of flash guns compatible with modern DSLR's such as the Chinese Youngno series. One to suit your budget could be bought quite cheaply on Ebay- new ones at that and you will be quite safe using them with your DSLR. I wouldn't risk using the older flashguns on your DSLR.
        Last edited by Nathaniel; 12-08-2016, 22:52.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

WARNING using a film generation flashgun on a digital camera will most likely result in burning out your camera main circuit board ,the generated voltage is to high .
          Please do not even think about trying it out to see if it works .
          As nat says there are plenty of cheap Chinese digital flashguns available these days some around £30 brand new

Comment

You could also end up giving your subjects a bit of impromptu fireworks display as well!!!!!

Comment

You could also end up giving your subjects a bit of impromptu fireworks display as well!!!!!
              Haha! Indeed

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
              WARNING using a film generation flashgun on a digital camera will most likely result in burning out your camera main circuit board ,the generated voltage is to high .
              Please do not even think about trying it out to see if it works .
              As nat says there are plenty of cheap Chinese digital flashguns available these days some around £30 brand new
              As I suspected.

Hi! Kitchen,

There are lots of flash guns compatible with modern DSLR's such as the Chinese Youngno series. One to suit your budget could be bought quite cheaply on Ebay- new ones at that and you will be quite safe using them with your DSLR. I wouldn't risk using the older flashguns on your DSLR.
              I'll have a look at them when I've got some brass in my pocket!

Thanks for all your help,
              Kitchen10

Comment

I assume that the flash unit you are intending to use is dedicated to the Olympus. The problem isn't the voltage as that is similar for many flashes. The problem is any other contacts on the flash which may make contact. The central large contact is the trigger. All the other contacts are related to the inter-working of the flash with the cameras metering and control systems. I would, therefore NOT recommend using this gun as there is a distinct possibility you may damage the camera.
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                X