50mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50mm

Has anyone used both the canon 50mm f1.8 and f1.4 lenses? The f1.4 is more expensive but I'm not sure why. Is the quality of the glass better?

Re: 50mm

I traded the 1.8 in for a 1.4 and found the AF speed quite a bit better. It's fascinating too, just how little light you need to take photos in at f1.4. Be warned though, you have to pay attention to the placement of your focusing, as the DOF is very narrow with the lens wide open. I haven't been disappointed at all, and would recommend the faster lens to anyone who finds that they use a 50mm a lot of the time. It also turns in some good close up results when coupled with extension tubes.
    Dave

Comment

I would say the biggest difference is the AF motor stepping sensitivity (lack of), the F1.8 can often completely miss the target at F1.8/2.0 in low light and best used manually in less than perfect conditions.

Also the bokeh is quite different, the 1.8 has a pentagon shaped appearance (not that this is bad - just different).

Comment

The 50mm is a much more modern lens, and is better all round and not least of all in the fact that it is f1.4. It is faster focusing, and is a good portrait lens for APS-C cameras.
        www.garywhite-photography.com
        Gary White, MPhil
        Travel Photographer

Comment

Having used both, I would agree with the points Gary makes.

However, if you cannot justify the cost of the 1.4, then get the 1.8 anyway - it is still and excellent little lens to have

Martin

Comment

Interestingly, if you look on that 'Canon rumours' site (which is quite reliable), they say that they 50 f1.4 is in short supply and that Canon are due to replace it in the autumn....
            Gary White, MPhil
            Travel Photographer

Comment

The Canon 50mm 1.8 still is the bargain of the year for image quality for the price.

Peter

Comment

yes, I agree - it is better than a cheap zoom
                Gary White, MPhil
                Travel Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Gary - Fulham View Post
                  yes, I agree - it is better than a cheap zoom
                  I'd be bold enough to say that it is just as much value as that other cheap zoom: To make the subject bigger in the frame step closer to it; to make it look smaller, step further away.....

and yes I do own the 1.8 version...... great value...

;0)

Comment

I have a 1.8 and a 1.2 50mm and love them both the 1.2 takes quite a bit of getting used to but once figured out its brilliant.

Comment

Along with the 28 mm f1.8 and 85 mm f1.8 (or 100 f2) primes, the 50 mm f1.4 is remarkably good value.....
                      Gary White, MPhil
                      Travel Photographer

Comment

I still have my 50mm f1.8 lens from my EOS 600 film days. It is still a super little lens. I don't know how it compares with the current Mk II

Comment

I think the Mk2 might be marginally better but they are inherently simple designs with good optics
                          Gary White, MPhil
                          Travel Photographer

Comment

The 1.8 is nowhere near the build quality of the 1.4, or as sharp at the wide open end, my 1.8 eventually broke down, and so was resigned to the bin.
                            Craig

Comment

Yes, it is incredible that there is an EOS lens for less than £80.
                              Gary White, MPhil
                              Travel Photographer

Comment

Working...
                              X