CANON 50D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CANON 50D

Anyone still using a 50D having had and sold 40D last year have just purchased a used 50D and awaiting delivery.
    This will add a back up to my 7D MK1. suppose its a blast from the past.Will be used for bird photography alongside the 7D.
    Wondered if any of the forum guys could advise me of any situations to lookout for in using the 50D.
    Have looked up some of the reviews relating to the camera but out in the field is where it counts,would be very grateful for any advice no matter how small.
    GEORGE.
    CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Re: CANON 50D

I had one from new and loved it ,preferred it to the 7d in fact I was offered one of them tried it and decided to keep the 50D .yes noise can be a problem if you let it but it's no worse than the 7D .in fact having had both the 60 and 70 as well the 50 is still a force to be reckoned with .

Comment

Many thanks for kind response,yep noise was one of the things to watch out for mentioned in some of the review.
      GEORGE.
      CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

I would recommend exposing to the right..I.e. Overexposing a little and the pulling it back in post processing....that will avoid noise which would otherwise be apparent where the sensor is less than flooded with light. It's only an issue in low light situations of course....and ISO 800 and above.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thank you Brian thats excellent advice need to take on board.
          GEORGE.

Comment

Some people have and still do get on well with the 50D but not me. I had a 40D and replaced it with the 50D and found it to be much noisier than the 40D even at ISO400. After less than 9 months I sold it and replaced with a 7D I which I happily used for nearly 5 years. Regretting disposing of the 40, I also bought a used one for backup

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Lets hope have not shot myself in the foot Stan.
              GEORGE.

Comment

mine was the other way round could never get on with the 40d .i think back then there were a awful lot of instances of monday or friday models.i was getting good shots at 1600iso with my 50d ,in fact it was cleaner than the sons 7D which is why i stuck with the 50 rather than the 7 .
                i have also noticed it with the 1D3 as a couple of close friends have them as well and out of the 3 of us mine was definitely the best ,till it died that is .must have been quality control issues in the factory around that time .
                my theory goes along the lines of prior to the 2011 tsunami a lot of bits and pieces for cameras were made in various outsources spread around japan i.e one or two man machine shops ,after the devastation of the floods a lot of this was brought in house under one roof .
                just a theory but things have definitely improved quality wise since then
                Last edited by the black fox; 21-08-2016, 13:24.

Comment

Thank you for your response again sir,had the 40d myself but kept leaving it behind in favour of the 7D.Had thought about the 7DMK2 but could not warrant the price tag.
                  Had a look at the 7DMK2 just yesterday at the wildfowl wetlands trust centre at washington its quite local for me. A friendly type guy very kindly let me have a look over it.Looks like you need a degree in engineering to find your way around it the 65focus points certainly appear handy the £££S price the main snag.
                  So looking forward still to the 50D coming also ear marking a grip to add to it.
                  Many thanks again for your further input really appreciate it.
                  GEORGE.

Comment

I have one too, I find it great, yes it does have a bit of noise, but you can work around it, mine has taken oodles of shots too. You will be pleased with it. I have the grip on it and it makes it much better to handle.
                    Last edited by TonyT; 21-08-2016, 18:56.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Hi Tony thank you for response had looked at various reviews on the 50D certainly all indicated lookout for noise,as you say it can be worked around if you are reading the situation right. The real snag with bird photography most situations occur very quickly,however having the 7Dmk1 and the 50D when it arrives sure both will keep me on my toe.
                      Thanks again Tony.
                      GEORGE.

Comment

its all in the mind george heres one from 2011 made explored on flickr ,so it can't be that bad .taken with the 50d from a moving car
                        fly away peter fly away paul (EXPLORED) by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Comment

and another 50d shot from 2011,this ones had over 5000 views on flickr .now you can see why i liked the camera
                          the start of the run (EXPLORED) by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Comment

Wow set of cracking shots there Jeff does really show the capabilities of the 50D,thank you so much putting these on for me very kind of you.
                            GEORGE.

Comment

Working...
                            X