Flash problem I think!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash problem I think!

Hi to all on the forum, I hope you may be able to help me with a problem.

First off the kit; 5D Mk11, 40D, 430EX and 580EX.

Historically I have hardly ever used flash as where I tend to shoot doesn't allow it or the results would be wrong.

The last gig, my sons wedding, almost became a disaster when I bolted flash guns to the cameras. Please bear with me as this seems to be complicated for a non flash user. Using tv mode, under sync speed, to help with dancing etc. the flash power and firing just seemed to be random, either not at all or full power burnout.

On examining the menu on the 5D Mk11 the following comes up: "External speedlite control"/"Flash function settings"; the first 3 items grayed out, the other 3 available; "Flash C.Fn settings" quote "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off." Simillarly "Clear all C.Fn's says "This menu cannot be etc. All C.Fn's on the actual flash guns are set to 0, so as I understand it the cameras should control everything. I wasn't trying high speed sync or second shutter curtain stuff just straight forward flash assisted shots.

Mega frustrating on the day! However, sober experimentation at home shows the both combinations produce the same responses.

With respect to the forum, any ideas?

Pete.

Re: Flash problem I think!

Hi Pete welcome to the forum ,without seeing your problem in hand it's hard to say ,I would suggest sitting down and having a play with settings /. Menus etc at home .i have a suspicion that t.v mode could be the problem but not sure .on the odd times I do use flash I have my synch speed set to 1/200th sec and use either manual or a/v mode .
    Hopefully someone will come up with a better answer .my advise is play around till you get it right

Comment

If you are new to flash one of the easiest way to get it right is just use the P mode, works for my daytime portraits every time without any problems or worries.

If you need to be more creative and using other mode settings just make sure you keep your eye on the viewfinder info if the shutter speed or aperture is blinking you need to take some form of action to stop the blinking(lowering shutter speed, increasing/decreasing aperture setting)

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I think you will find that the 5Dmk2 flash menu is too late for the 580ex but the 580ex2 will work with it, but as Paul says the P mode will be a good way to go

Alan

Comment

580EX should be fine with a 5DmkII except you can't control most flash feature from the camera. I understand second curtain flash can be triggered by the camera. ETTL-II will work with FEC and FEL. You need to use the LCD on the flash to change custom function etc. I'd check how the flash is set up (on the flash).
          Excellent resource for all things Canon-flash...

Comment

Working...
          X